Gaming: What Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alam1108, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Uncharted 2 is one of the most fun gaming experiences I've ever had. 3 isn't as good IMO, but it's still great. I have the Nathan Drake collection on PS4 and I make it a point to play these games through from time to time. They're like long, awesome movies that you play, they're funny, exciting, just a blast. That, and they're gorgeous to look at, which never hurts.

Also, I'm loving NBA 2k16. I've played about 6 full games so far I think, and I've won all but 1. Sure I'm only playing on Pro difficultly, but I get to use MY lineups, and Russ is so good in this game. Kobe actually is too, still gets to the hoop more than I expected him to be able to. The graphics remain fantastic (other than a few odd looking players) and the AI is great as always.

therealdeal likes this.
  2. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Agreed with 2K16, I'm playing a full season with the Lakers and I'm about 50~ games in on All-Star difficulty, I'm currently ~35-15. Russ is really great and once I got used to using Randle he's been great too. 2K makes a really good basketball sim.

Battle Tested20 and Weezy like this.
  3. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

This one is a bit of an odd one, but has anyone played any of the earth defence force games?

4. Weezy

Unfortunately yes. My uncle had me play Insect Armageddon with him multiple times and I did not enjoy it at all. I assume that's the series you're talking about, and that maybe other games in the series are better.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Just finished 2 and wow that final boss mode is amazing. Incredibly difficult, but so fun. Like you said it's a long movie. It makes me want to keep playing for hours and hours to see how the movie finishes.

6. alam1108

Have you played The Last of Us? I think you would like that as well Real.

trodgers likes this.
  7. therealdeal

Yeah it's one of my all time favorite games. Similar feel but a different tone and all that. Remastered Last of Us was gorgeous and so much fun on PS4. I know they're hesitant to make a sequel, but I hope they do.

8. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Yeah insect Armageddon was the worst of the bunch. Nearly unplayable. Basically the whole point of the game is it's campy, with bad voice acting, but the gameplay can be really fun if you don't take it too seriously. And play with a friend. It's like a game version of MST3K.

9. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I rented Battlefront from Redbox and I've really enjoyed it so far. I was weary at first because I heard it was essentially a Battlefield clone with Star Wars characters, and I could never get into Battlefield. Maybe it's just because I haven't tried Battlefield in a while but this feels nothing like it. Something about shooting people with blasters is just so fun!

But I've also finally got sucked in to Fallout 4. Played it for about 8 hours the first month I had it, and suddenly this week I've put in like 30 hours.

Barnstable likes this.
  10. therealdeal

So I finished 3. What made you not like it as much? Just curious.

11. Weezy

2 was just impossible to top I guess, like sort of like the Empire Strikes Back of the series. I enjoyed the set pieces, story, locations, vehicle sections, puzzles, and characters all more, personal preference. Felt there was more variety to them as well, snow, jungles, cities, temples. 3 felt very dark and not as colorful and had less variety by comparison, dark cities, dark and dingy ships, or desert, that's the majority. 2 will forever be one of my favorite gaming experiences of all time, maybe THE favorite. Like I said, 3 was still great, just IMO not quite on the level of 2. Muuuuuch closer to 2 than 1 though, the leap in quality from 1 to 2 is enormous, and I love the original.

raviator likes this.
  12. therealdeal

I hear ya. I loved the desert setting, but I see what you mean. Three did feel a little less thought out. It felt like a typical sequel while two felt like a legitimate advancement. There seemed to be more thought put into that one.

raviator and Weezy like this.
  13. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

I agree wholeheartedly. As far as RPGs goes 2 was just flat out epic. For me 3 although good just didn't quite have the same "wow" climax as 2. Plus the villain just seemed kind of meh to me.
    On a side note wifey just surprised me with an early anniversary gift of a PS4 Uncharted edition. Yeah I'm gonna be busy for a while lol. Now what games to get....

therealdeal likes this.
  14. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

So finally finished the story mode. Wow. Still trying to wrap my head around what went down but after thinking about it, a lot of things are making sense now. Very clever ending.
    So one thing that was bothering me is when we meet Big Boss at the end of MGS4, he has no shrapnel in his head. Now it makes sense. It also makes sense as to why Eli tested negative to being "Big Boss's son. I knew he was the future Liquid Snake so it was initially confusing.
    Anyway, exceptional gameplay. I will say this though, the Quiet Ending campaign took me two days just to figure out how to beat it. I swear they ratcheted the difficulty on that one. Oh well, on to the next game.

Helljumper likes this.
  15. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Haha yeah, it took me a while to wrap my head around the ending but once I did, things started to make so much sense. Honestly, it's one of the coolest twists I've ever experienced. It's such a unique and bold move, and something that could only be done properly through a video game. I'm really gonna miss having Kojima make Metal Gear (apparently Konami pretty much fired him and will continue to make Metal Gear games on their own). This game was a great way for Kojima to pay tribute to his fans and leave the Metal Gear legacy in the hands of the player...

raviator likes this.
  16. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Afaik, konami is getting out of the AAA games business in favor of gambling machines.

Helljumper likes this.
  17. alam1108

Anyone else here a completionist when it comes to video games? Like you have to 100% the game and get all the trophies/achievements.

18. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I am still playing Path Of Exile (PC via Steam).

Extremely recommended for ARPG/hack-n-slash fans. If you loved D2 and played it forever, but were unsatisfied with everything that came after (D3 and others) - this
    is THE game for you.

Extremely rich content. Actively developed with expansions every 1/2 year or so. Temp leagues (around 3 month and then merged into permanent one). Trading (could use improvement). You can play alone or in group. No PK, but with PvP arena. Guilds. Extendable stash. Crazy customization capabilities - crafting, customizable skills, skill combos, skill tree.

Look at that thing:
    [​IMG]

There is paid stuff - but the policy is it's not pay-to-win, as you can't by in-game stuff like items (at least not in-game). You pay for account features - skins, alternative skill design, stash size (reasonably priced) - basically non-gameplay features.

And, you don't need any of those at all. I haven't paid a dime for the first year or so. Then I paid for more stash space, partly because I wanted to support the AWESOME game.

Oh, and its FREE!

https://www.pathofexile.com/

BEWARE: huge time sink.

Barnstable likes this.
  19. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I downloaded it, and I'm talking to friends to see if they want to play multiplayer with this.

It looks really good and the reviews are pretty off the charts positive.

20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Excellent.

Word of advice though:

1. I can't stress this enough - this is not an easy game by ANY means. It is designed to frustrate you. It is designed for grind - for players like me that, in SOME cases,
    would be willing to run the same boss over and over to get a specific item to drop. The more you play, however, the easier it becomes.

2. There is a lot of depth and technical understanding to the game - mechanics are important. Feel free to ask me, but surely use the forum at http://www.pathofexile.com/forum

Barnstable likes this.