Gaming: What Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alam1108, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I only own an Xbox One but have watched quite a few gameplay videos on Youtube for Horizon Zero Dawn and it is amazing. Really wish it wasn't an exclusive for PS4

TIME likes this.
  2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    No worries. I AM old. About to turn 62. I remember thinking anyone over 60 already has one foot in the grave.

The problem with keeping up with popular culture though is that everything is moving so fast. The internet acceleration factor has changed everything in that regard. Some stuff, I just decided to jettison and not try to keep up. For instance I could not tell you about ANY popular music today. I like what I like and only listen to that. But, I do follow sports, gaming, and some TV / movies in the categories I enjoy.

3. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Agreed. I was on another forum talking about the Switch and someone talked about how they feel too old to be so excited about a video game console.

Screw that. Honestly as cheesy as this is, one of the things I'm most looking forward to as I grow up is witnessing the progression of technology and the impact of that on art/culture.

Barnstable and TIME like this.
  4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Been burned by Nintendo too many times now, I'm done with them. What I would love is if they went the SEGA route and stopped making hardware, made games for other consoles. Of course I want to play the new Mario game, but I don't want to have to buy another Nintendo console to do so, so I won't.

5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I feel like I say this every few months, but I love Last of Us. It's probably my favorite game of all time.

The same people make Uncharted which is also fun. It's like Indiana Jones, but you're the Indy.

TIME likes this.
  6. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Not to mention: Uncharted 4, Last of us 2, Days Gone and many more.

7. Helljumper

Student
    You can believe all of the hype you've heard about Breath of the Wild. Definitely one of the greatest games of all time.

alam1108 likes this.
  8. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Worth getting a Switch right now?

9. Helljumper

Student
    After having the Switch for a few weeks, I think it's awesome. Even with the limited games out right now, the core concept of being able to take your console anywhere really does seem like it's going to be a game changer. It's probably hard to really appreciate the portability aspect of the Switch until you experience it yourself. I've put a lot of hours into Zelda during my work carpool and even had a fun co-op Bomberman session at the bar with some friends. Once the game library builds up I think this thing is going to really take off.

So I guess the answer to your question is that I think if you're a gamer, you're going to get a Switch eventually. If you don't mind waiting to experience Breath of the Wild, it may make sense to wait for the inevitable price drops/bundles/hardware fixes because by then there will be a lot more games out. If you really want to play Zelda now and you can afford a Switch and find one in stores, then go for it and dont feel like you're buying a console for just one game, because you'll probably get a lot of use out of the Switch for years to come.

alam1108 likes this.
  10. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Ok, I'm asking you guys to help me decide what to do. Got some birthday money and I want to blow it on a new gaming system. The Switch is not an option because I'm not going to spend $460 to play one game. My options:

New PS4 Slim bundled with Uncharted 4 for around $240. Then I buy Horizon Zero Dawn, The Last of Us, Nioh, and one or two others.

Certified Refurbished Nintendo Wii U from Nintendo for $200. Then I buy BotW, 2-3 previous Zelda games which I never played, Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D, etc.

This is all for single player gaming. Online won't factor in to my decision. Which way do I go?

11. alam1108

PS4. Last of Us and Horizon are already well worth it. Then factor in games like Witcher and the like.

TIME, raviator and therealdeal like this.
  12. Helljumper

Student
    Yeah, PS4 definitely seems like the best option for sure. Especially if you've never played The Last of Us.

PS4 already has a much better game library that is continuing to grow and will allow you to play upcoming games that will inevitably be considered classics like The Last of Us 2 and Red Dead Redemption 2.

The Wii U is dead, and if you're still seriously considering it, I do think you'd be making a bad decision by going with that instead of the Switch. You're talking about a refurbished Wii U for $200 vs a new Switch for $300? If you have interest in getting Mario Kart 8, Super Mario 3D, etc for the Wii U, I'm guessing you'd also like Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Odyssey on the Switch. Again, I don't really understand the idea that people don't want to get the Switch because it's only for one game. By the end of this year, it looks like there will already be close to as many AAA titles for the Switch as there were for the Wii U's entire lifespan.

TIME likes this.
  13. Weezy

PS4. I have the PS4 Slim with Uncharted 4 and I love it, it's much quieter than the original system, and I also don't play games online. There's truly some great games out for the system now, the ones you listed and many more, and you can't beat that price. I got mine at Costco, came with a 2nd controller for $290 (plus lifetime warranty because Costco). Besides the games you listed I recommend Ratchet and Clank, possibly the Unchared collection if you want to replay those games at 60fps for like $20. I was not a fan of the Wii U at all, and if you wait for the switch to get cheaper you can just play Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on that, plus the new Zelda and Mario.

TIME likes this.
  14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Uncharted and Last of Us.

Everything else is irrelevant.

Helljumper likes this.
  15. alam1108

Have you played Horizon?

16. Helljumper

Student
    Have you? I just started playing it after beating Zelda. It's ridiculously gorgeous but I'm having a hard time really getting engrossed. I'm still super early though and barely understand the gameplay mechanics, I just can't help but keep on thinking that I wish I could have the gameplay of Zelda with Horizon-esque graphics

17. alam1108

I played around 30 mins at a friend's house. Mostly just exploring the world and playing with the photo mode.

Helljumper likes this.
  18. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

Just discovered the first two Arkham games had been re-released on PS4 as Return to Arkham featuring Arkham Assylum, and Arkham City. The best Batman games you will find period.

19. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Thanks for the input. PS4 Slim sounds like the way to go. I'll check out that Costco bundle @Weezy.

therealdeal and Helljumper like this.
  20. Weezy

I should have mentioned that when i picked it up it was $50 off, it's back to regular price now at $340. It's still a good deal because you get that 2nd controller for $40 instead of $60 and the lifetime return policy which you can't get anywhere else aside from an extended warranty for a hefty additional cost, but if those aren't factors to you I'm sure you can find it cheaper elsewhere.

TIME likes this.