Gaming: What Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by alam1108, Oct 6, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Anyone playing Darkest Dungeon?

2. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Say goodbye to all other forms of entertainment. That game is a beast. It's Skyrim level huge.

3. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

NIce to see people finally coming around to W3. It's one of my favorite games of all time. It also has mod support, so you can change the game (within reason) to how you like it.

4. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Anyone play the new Pokemon games? Sun and Moon.
    I find it really refreshing for the series. A handful of complaints, no big ones, but really enjoying my time with it.

5. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I have Moon. Only a few trials in. Found it slow to get into at first but it's picking up. I haven't played Pokemon since Diamond and Pearl so it's a bit more fresh for me.

I also got Final Fantasy XV. Only been able to put in like 2 hours, most of which has been doing random side quests and exploring the open world. I haven't progressed the main story at all and barely know what it's about. But the combat is definitely interesting. Not turn based at all, but it's not like a hack n slash Kingdom Hearts style of action RPG either. The camera and lock on mechanism is kinda clunky but when it's working well, it's very fun and flashy.

Barnstable and alam1108 like this.
  6. alam1108

Take my money Naughty Dog.

Helljumper and Barnstable like this.
  7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

My single favorite video game of all time.

I literally just finished replaying it for the 4-5th time last week.

I cannot wait and will be getting this the day it comes out for sure.

Helljumper, Barnstable and alam1108 like this.
  8. ThizGuy83

ThizGuy83 - Rookie -

Medical healthcare professional
    Ps4 pro console bundle in the making with the last of us 2. Thatll get the upgraded console a better chance to sell

9. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Been playing FFXV, to be honest, its good for what it is, but I made the mistake of getting lost on all the side quests and ended up carrying on the Altissia part of the story at lvl 73 after doing the majority of the hunts so the story part of the game is really really easy. Only things that bother me really are the magic and summoning systems, they look awesome but ultimately I haven't really needed them.

10. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Still going strong in Battlefront.

Picked up 7 Days to Die for PS4. Pretty hardcore. Loving it. Extremely addictive.

11. Savory Griddles

Right now I'm in Gears of War 4. Pretty good.

12. Helljumper

Student
    Lol, I sound like I'm on the same path. I don't know how far in the main story I am, but I've just been grinding through side quests. Currently around level 40. So far, the main plot is kind of underwhelming. And damn, even the sidequests don't really have much substance to them. Mostly just generic fetch quests without any storylines or characters that make you feel involved.

But for some reason I'm just having fun with this game despite its flaws. Running around the beautiful open world, jamming out to old school FF tunes, and taking down mobs with fast-paced fun action gameplay. At the very least, there are many building blocks in this game that I think Square can build upon to make Final Fantasy XVI really damn good. After all, this game was originally supposed to be a spin off of XIII before they decided to rebrand it as XV.

In other news, I'm actually pretty excited about the Nintendo Switch press conference coming up. Playing Super Mario Run has really revitalized my interest in Nintendo.

13. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

Yeah the quests are pretty generic, but like you I still find it fun, makes my hopes for the FFVII remake even higher, as they are using the same style of system, all those old bosses, summons etc.

14. alam1108

The Nintendo Switch has been announced. I'm not as high on it as I was after the first announcement of it, might still get it but at least a year or two later. The $300 price point is nice but then you look at the prices for the extra accessories and wow, huge turn off. Also launch lineup is a little underwhelming and some might even get delayed.

15. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I don't get why so many people are excite for the Switch. I guess it just doesn't appeal to me

Savory Griddles likes this.
  16. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I thought it looked fascinating with the ability to switch seamlessly from the main console to a handheld on the go, but my excitement is fading quickly.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  17. Savory Griddles

I have bought the last two Wii's and played both about 5 times each. I didn't play my Gamecube all that much either. I keep telling myself, "Don't fall for it again! Don't get another Nintendo console to collect dust!" But I'm probably going to go to a friend's house who will have it. We'll have a fun night of drunken Switch party games, and I'll buy the Switch and realize it's no fun unless you have at least 3 other people.

Barnstable likes this.
  18. Helljumper

Student
    I'm kinda in the same boat. Except I won't need a drunken knight of party games to get bamboozled by Nintendo again ... because I already preordered one :D

Part of me is skeptical, as like you I barely played the Wii after I spent so much time/energy tracking one down at launch. I've been underwhelmed by Nintendo for a while.

But part of me just likes the experience of new console launches. It may end up sitting on my shelf for most of 2017 until some of the big name games end up getting released. But for the first month or so when the novelty factor is still high, I'll definitely enjoy it. Plus, I've been saving up after dropping a bunch of cash on friends/family for Christmas, so I'm down to treat myself.

Seriously though, on the optimistic side of things I do see a lot of positives about the Switch that I think will justify the purchase. I already have a PS4 for the high end "hardcore" games. So I don't mind the fact that the Switch isn't as powerful. I really like the portable factor of the Switch. From recent pics, it's more portable than I thought. The main Switch console (without the Joy-Con controllers attached to the sides) is only the size of a 3DS. It's gonna be awesome being able to spend my lunch breaks at work playing the newest blockbuster Zelda game.

Right now there looks to be more third party support for the Switch then the Wii/Wii U had. But even without that, I'll probably get my money's worth from the Switch just from the first party games. Mario Odyssey looks like it could be amazing.

19. alam1108

To me, Nintendo always makes the party console. The console you bring out when you have people over and you play Mario Kart, Mario Party, Smash Bros, etc. And then there are the occasional Zelda games. Otherwise you would play bigger games on PS/Xbox/PC.

The biggest turnoff for the switch is how expensive the extra controllers are. I'll stick to my PS4 for now.

20. raviator

raviator - Rookie -

After 3 months finally got ahold of the Nintendo NES classic edition. Some familiar games, some I've never heard of, but really fun to play. Must have spent at least a couple of hours just reliving my childhood. My kids are definitely going to love it.

alam1108 and Barnstable like this.