Game Of Thrones

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RasAlgethi, Mar 14, 2015.

1. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

:D Small Wonder, I loved that show as a kid. As for why she didn't use her ability to tell if someone is lying (if she has it), I assumed she did. I assumed that's why she handed the dagger to Sansa and left, she really pushed her for answers and I think she was satisfied. I again, assume, that she realizes Littlefinger is doing this and she's playing along until the right time. If I'm wrong, then the writers aren't very clever and I'll be disappointed in this part of the story.

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

From the director of episode 6's mouth on the time issues

“We were aware that timing was getting a little hazy. We’ve got Gendry running back, ravens flying a certain distance, dragons having to fly back a certain distance…In terms of the emotional experience, [Jon and company] sort of spent one dark night on the island in terms of storytelling moments. We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there. I think that worked for some people, for other people it didn’t. They seemed to be very concerned about how fast a raven can fly but there’s a thing called plausible impossibilities, which is what you try to achieve, rather than impossible plausibilities. So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff.”

Basically: Deal with it. :D

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Yeah, this would have been a lot cooler

5. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

I pretty much agree with all of this, the series has been great so far, but feels slightly different to previous ones, I don't know if its because of the shortened series length or whatever but some sloppy (imo) things have crept into the show and they are leaving things that could be amazing out.

Savory Griddles likes this.
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Just based on watching the BTS on each episode, I can imagine a lot of budget was used in creating this intense scenes that we've never seen before in the series.

The Frozen Lake was actually a quarry in Ireland that they had gone through and created that environment from scratch. All the CGI that went into this season has been amazing. The dragon, the polar bear, so I can imagine given the budget, and just a synopsis from Martin on how it ends, they can only fit so much.

Weezy and alam1108 like this.
  7. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    Yeah I get that there are budget constraints so they have limitation when devoting resources to epic action scenes and CGI dragons.

My issue is that some of these expensive scenes could have all been avoided. Narratively, their plan to capture a wight was such a stupid idea. Even with it, they're not going to convince Cersei to help.

So they shouldn't have even been beyond the wall in the first place. Save the money used for the Frozen Lake and instead spread it out over a few more lower budget episodes. Change the narrative so that team Dany comes up with a more intriguing plan against Cersei.

I watch Game of Thrones for the dialogue and intricate plot lines that make sense logically. The epic action scenes like Blackwater/Hardhome/Battle of the Bastards are all a cool bonus, but only because they are the payoff of long simmering plots that I've already been emotionally invested in. The Frozen Lake had none of that. Felt like expensive action thrown in just for the hell of it.

Weezy and Savory Griddles like this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I know budget is an issue. I commend them and HBO for really trying to deliver the best possible effects. But some things that might have helped likely wouldn’t have cost that much. Maybe a scene where they approach Cercei about the White Walkers earlier and she shoots them down. Maybe they try a couple times to convince her throughout the season. That way, when the time comes for them to try this ridiculous mission, it may come off as more mandatory. There were still better ways to execute it, but at least it wouldn’t have seemed like they had a meeting when they were drunk and someone lost a dare.

Maybe establish Gendry a bit more as a fighter or as a blacksmith. Having Davos approach him really did nothing for the “reveal” that Gendry’s back. They could have revealed him earlier in the season. Maybe reveal him as the Hammer is being forged and we see the stag on it and then tilts up to reveal Gendry.

I’m really just talking little scenes; little scenes of dialogue that could have probably extended the series to 8 or 9 episodes this season and given us more time to digest what was going on and not feel like we are being rushed out the door at a restaurant because it’s time to close. Scenes like those could take place in the same location as another scene where everything is set up and they just have to shoot additional conversations.

Weezy and Helljumper like this.
  9. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Well maybe that scene was a crucial point for Dany losing her Viserion and it coming back as a wight Dragon that Martin expressed as part of the narrative?

Additionally, Dany was still skeptical of the White Walkers until she finally saw them for herself, she would've been stuck with her hard headed "bend the knee" mentality otherwise.

Like most of what recent seasons have been, I'm sure we'll get a culmination of all of these episodes to detail a reason for the episodes and what comes from it (like the Ice Dragon).

Weezy and alam1108 like this.
  10. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    It kinda seems that this whole plot was contrived just to turn Viserion. Which is fine. That's a gamechanger that I'm sure is going to payoff down the line.

I still think they could've restructured the plot to have it done more realistically. Like Savory said, even just a few small scenes here and there to slow the place and explain things better would have made a huge difference.

Throw in a few lines explaining how one of the wildling soldiers had the duty of carrying extra supplies in case they got stuck beyond the wall. Then extend the time they're on the island with them setting up camp and waiting things out for a few days(instead of the Hound stupidly provoking the wights into attacking).

Explicitly let us know that the Frozen Lake is only a few miles from Eastwatch so it's more realistic that Gendry can run back to deliver the raven. Then maybe show a scene with Bran warging into the raven or other animals to somehow expedite delivery of the message to Dany.

Now instead of Dany seemingly making it there in a few hours, you've given us evidence that it's actually been a few days so things don't seem as ridiculous.

She arrives, saves the day, Viserion dies, her and Jon fly back to Dragonstone. No need for Benjen, simply change the dynamics of the scene so Jon has enough time to join them on Drogon.

Same exact sequences of events and long term consequences, but without us having to do as many mental gymnastics along the way.

alam1108 likes this.
  11. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Yeah, I just feel like the show lost some of it's balls, gravitas when it comes to character deaths. Now that they aren't sticking to the books as much (I've never read the books) it feels like they don't want to rock the boat as much.

Surely, one of the main characters should have died to make it hurt and sting more for us the audience.

12. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

You're asking the writers, who for 5-6 seasons have been adopting from the book where plot lines and characters have been already established by GRRM, to come up with their own narrative from a few bullet points he provided. It's a difficult task to try and provide the same story telling and intricate plot points. Its also fair to point out that the show is ending rather soon, plot lines and characters are finally connecting and some of those plot lines must end.

I've said it already but it's unfortunate to have the viewers go through mental obstacles to explain things that should have been explained by the show runners through a few scenes. I don't agree that we should start criticizing why they should have done this instead of that, all speculation tbh, without seeing how things unfold. Maybe there was something genius about that plan, who knows for sure now.

Also keep in mind that not everyone reads the books, heck I don't plan to until all have been released. It's like expecting a book to movie adaptation to explain everything. Somethings needs to be simplified for viewing pleasure.

jbiggs, Kingsama, Kenzo and 1 other person like this.
  13. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

All true. With that being said... i hope that old, fat slacker is writing 24/7 instead of dining at McD's

14. Kingsama

Kingsama - Rookie -

Those things aren't mutually exclusive!

jbiggs likes this.
  15. Kenzo

LOL, also true. I just think, he'll do more work without his face being stuffed with beef ;-).

16. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Kenzo likes this.
  17. Kenzo

The amount of work and preparation needed to make this show happen is astounding :clap:
    Now... less bears, more Ghost and Nymeria please ;).

18. RasAlgethi

RasAlgethi Moderator Staff Member

This is a better video of that.

pound4pound and Kenzo like this.
  19. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think they saved some motivations in this episode, but I also thought that they singled out a couple of characters who didn't need to be singled out.

I thought Greyjoy's arch was good, but his fight was horrible. :D

I liked pretty much everyone else's development, but some of the writing wasn't great.

20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

GoT? More like GOAT.