2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Serge Ibaka is my #1 target this summer. I don't know what it would take to even bend his ear, but I'm for it.

Rim protector: check. 8th in the league in blocks and tied for 13th in block percentage with DeAndre Jordan.
    Can stretch the floor: check. There are 12 F/Cs in the league that have taken 100 3s and Serge is ranked 5th in percentage with 37.8%. The only PF/C to take and make more threes than Ibaka is Porzingis. Frye, Gasol, and Speights have all taken less threes even though they make them at a higher percentage.

Ibaka's max is going to be 30% of the cap or roughly 28-29 million dollars. He's an 8 year pro so he might be inclined to take an offer of 2+1 (PO) at the max (or the max someone will pay him) in order to opt out again and get the 10 year max at that point.

I have the Lakers pegged at roughly 82.83 million in salary next summer barring any changes. That includes cap holds (including Nick's), no Marcelo, and a fully guaranteed Tarik Black. It includes a larger cap hold for Thomas Robinson as well.

With the Cap set at around 103 million, we're not going to have the cash to go after Serge if he expects a max contract. If he's willing to go for less though, then I'm making that call. It's not like Orlando is some bastion of good basketball or even a great culture.

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Interesting. In that scenario, I wouldn't re-sign Black, let Thomas Robinson go, and move Moz to the bench.

You'd have a starting 5 that can defend the rim and be WAY more effective in pick in roll defense.

As you said, he also stretches the floor. I can see Randle/Ibaka or even Nance/Ibaka playing for stretches.

I might do that.

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Most of the guys Real lobbied for (Deng, Biyombo, Ezli, Dragic... suck). Makes me think twice about Ibaka ;-)

ElginTheGreat and trodgers like this.
  4. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I agree. Ibaka would be a huge acquisition for us, but I hope we don't need to rely on a rim protector, and players just communicate better and make better decisions on defense. But its always better to have that rim protector than not.

Concerning Nick and Lou, I want Nick back if I have to choose primarily because of his defense. Really, I want both of them back if we could manage it without breaking the bank. It's really nice to have a few scorers on the team when you just need buckets, and sucks without them. Ask a team like Miami.

5. therealdeal

Rude. And I don't think any of those guys suck, they're just not great. I was desperate for help for a team that needed it and it showed in my thinking. This is a different mindset.

Also... rude.

Barnstable, abeer3 and Kenzo like this.
  6. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Man, im pulling your chain (;) should give it away). Only guy i was 100% against was Dragic. To this day i hate that little prick.

trodgers likes this.
  7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    Deng doesn't suck. He had a bad start to the season. He was 10-6-2 in December on 46-35-63 shooting. And he's 9-7-3 this month - in just 30 minutes.

Biyombo doesn't suck. He's at 6-8-1 and 1.4 blocks, with career bests in points, assists, and just short of one in rebounds. Plus he's shooting 51% from the floor. His DRPM is the best of his career.

Even Dragic is at 19-7-4 on 46% FGs, 41% threes.

I think Real was critical of Festus (or maybe that was Abeer) given his knees - which was a concern I think we all had.

We have to be clear about what we expect from a player when we sign them. Deng started out awfully, but over the past month and a half, he's essentially the player I thought we were getting. Biyombo is exactly what I thought teams would be getting. Dragic is actually better than I thought he would be (I wasn't a fan), and Ezeli is exactly the injury risk you'd have to take a chance on if you wanted to sign him.

tada, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    The best thing about a rim protector is that you don't always need 'em, but they're there when you do.

9. LaVarBallsDad

I wonder how much Ibaka would cost, though?

10. therealdeal

I know. :D

I deserve some skepticism. I've made some bad calls, but I think Ibaka makes a lot of sense for us.

11. therealdeal

Realistically too much I think. We'd have to find a way to dump Mozgov probably.

12. LaVarBallsDad

We could always stretch and waive Mosgov or Deng.

I don't think we do that this summer; but entire possibly in 2018.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

not an ibaka guy. he's obviously a smallball center, but none of his teams use him that way...why? i think there's a reason, and i think it's why you don't want to spend big bucks on him.

i'm not sure what the right path in next summer's FA is, but it's still so far off that i'm not going to spend time analyzing options yet.

but again, i've never been an ibaka fan--i thought when okc extended him instead of keeping harden that it was one of the dumber FO moves i'd ever seen. and that was before harden blew up in houston.

i just don't see how ibaka moving from orlando to la would make la any better than orlando is with him. they were probably thinking the same things we're saying when they traded their young combo guard and the 11th pick for him. let's not be the third team that overestimates his impact.

14. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    What about former Gokden State center on Mavs with expiring contract? Him, Moz, and Zubac is some serious length and depth at center.

15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yeah I dont think those dudes suck either, just not worth their "weight in gold" per se. Its rehasing but I think its going to be pretty difficult to move Mozgov with what ever little we do have.....might as well just stretch him if we can make Ibaka work.

16. therealdeal

I thought what they gave up was a mistake and we've both talked about how awful the Magic have been managed the few years.

To look at things from a different perspective though: Ibaka is starting now over Vucevic who has been the Magic starter for years. In fact Vucevic was their best player last year and their go-to scorer. Ibaka is starting over their long-term investment in Gordon. He's clearly a player they value.

Oklahoma is another organization that's made a lot of mistakes. For one, extending Ibaka over Harden which is a strawman argument. They could have easily kept both if they'd used the amnesty clause on Perkins when they had to. Instead they kept Perkins for a year, traded away Harden, and then traded Ibaka before he could ask for money. That is an organization that is about the bottom dollar, not about winning. Now when they had to spend money they put a ton of money in Oladipo and Adams, neither of whom I'm convinced is a star.

What you've convinced me of is that Ibaka is not worth a max contract, not that he's not worth our money.

17. LaVarBallsDad

sirronstuff, tada and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

I like hearing we were interested in Noel. I'm not sure what he is, but I'd like to find out. Is he a better Tarik or Thomas Robinson? Because that'd be dandy.

19. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't think he's better than Tarik Black and Thomas Robinson at this stage of their careers. Plus I don't have to worry about them missing practice/showing up late and complaining about minutes.

DO NOT WANT Noel.

20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I think he's better than Black by a fair bit. His defensive numbers are off the charts, and he's every bit as good as Black on O. Just not the rebounder Black is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.