2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i edited...we can buy out faried n stretch out his bought out $, say best case $10mill, stretch 10 over 3....now we might be a lil closer to retaining randle n 14th might get us zhaire smith

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I like this a lot. Chicago might not love it, but I think it's a great idea. Atlanta buys a pick for whatever Asik's cap is after waiving him. Chicago gets 2-3 picks (if you add another second) in order to just take on a little more salary.

I love it.

abeer3 likes this.
  3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

@Khmrp we can even get off Faried (and dead money via stretch) by making it a 3teamer by bringing in OKC and rerouting him, Ennis and TB there for an opted in PG. This allows them to buyout Melo if they want and gives yet another motor guy, Faried, that doesn't demand the ball on offense, which compliments Russ's game best.

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Dont see okc taking on faried n buying out melo...melo wouldnt give up much in a buy out

5. vasashi17

Really? He takes the Wade-Bull route and gives up just enough to make up the rest with whatever team he ring chases on (us? Haha).

With George's 20.7M on the books, OKC is looking at 137M in team salary. So they save a little by trading for Faried. Then buying out Melo means his salary doesn't apply to luxury taxes they will surely face.

This then allows them to retain Huestis and Grant without paying crazy taxes. Heck they can even keep Felton and Brew if they choose to.

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Youre off base bro...buy outs count

7. vasashi17

Misspoke and was about to edit myself. It saves Clay money via buyout or they can stretch it to avoid (minimize) the tax hit.

Also if he signs elsewhere, a portion of OKC's financial obligation is offset by the new amount he got from the other team.

8. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Stole from LG...

9. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Do it Mitch! I mean...

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I'm torn because I would be so much more excited to get Kawhi than Labron, but if we got Kawhi we would have to give up some of the youngsters, but Labron might want that anyway, but Kawhi's injury worries me, but Labron's age vs the length of his contract worries me more, but.. but... but...

11. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    I'm just thinking how much money Kawhi can make off the court in a year to add to say his annual salary if we offered him a max contract.

sirronstuff likes this.
  12. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Ok normally I would say forget that because Kawhi is not a very marketable type of personality he's notoriously shy so his demand for commercials and the like would be limited especially on a team with LeBron or even PG who's a little more camara friendly. Most commercials Kawhi's done in San Antonio have been with with the whole team also that pitch didn't work so hot when Mitch tried it with Aldridge.

HOWEVER and this is a big however, Kawhi's camp has been in talks with Nike about a contract extension as his shoe deal expires in October and they have stalled. Kawhi's camp feels 20 mil for 4 years is too small.

There is no doubt in my mind that a move to LA would change that scenario. I'm sure there is no doubt in Kawhi's camp or Nike's camp that that would change things too. The timing could not be better as far as Kawhi coming over now. And shoe commercials do not need the star to be talkative either. They can just dunk and let others talk. 20mil for 4 years for a star like Kawhi is pathetic but is reflective of his current market. There is NO doubt Nike would re-evaluate that were he in LA. Curry is well over double that in his much-smaller than LA market. Durant is 5x that in that same market. Not sure of the details of Lebron's deal but I'm sure going to a market like LA/NY would entail some bonus or points increase.

So while I do think Kawhi would also get some extra paper from local spots and maybe even have some fun doing a guest appearance here or there on a tv show, I don't think people will be busting down his door to get him on screen in ads. The real deal maker/breaker is that shoe contract and relocation to LA. That's got a lot of incentive. Just doing some comps, I can't see Nike not going up to 50 mil for 4 years and that's a 7.5 mil increase per year. Pretty substantial.

Barnstable likes this.
  13. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Nice post. I can see him having lil snips in shows and movies. We got the connects.

I'm sure he would a helluva a lot more comfortable in LA as well. Perhaps able to be himself more.

14. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Kevein Pelton did a write up on ESPN about how the Lakers would acquire Kawhi, PG and Lebron. Needless to say, it would leave us ULTRA thin. We probably use our room exception to sign a player like Noel (to further make Lebron's camp happy).

Pelton thinks our lineup looks something like this:

pg-Ingram
    sg-PG
    sf-Kawhi
    pf-Lebron
    c-Noel

Hart, Zubac, 25th pick, 4 ring chasers.

15. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

How'd we dump deng? Out with Zo and kuz for Kawhi?

16. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

I get the sense LeBron has no interest in seeing guys like Swaggy in the locker room.

17. therealdeal

Pelton is a hack.

Here's how it would probably go down:

1) Kawhi doesn't get his supermax, demands a trade to Los Angeles.
    2) Los Angeles trades Ingram/Randle for Kawhi. No other pieces. Kawhi demanded a trade here and the only reason we're giving up Ingram is a lack of space for him on the roster. That's a good return for both sides under the circumstances (think about what George got, this is a better offer). This hinges on Kawhi being adamant about coming here though. If he waffles, someone else might be willing to give up a comparable offer. He has to make it clear, even clearer than George did.
    3) Trade Deng out with 4 picks attached to him (use my Atlanta trade as reference).
    4) Sign LeBron and George with a small cut in salary to make it work (we're talking about a 1-2 million less than max deal).
    5) Fill in with vets (Brook Lopez?) and our draft pick (Evans?)

Lonzo/
    George/Hart
    Kawhi/Evans?/Brewer?
    LeBron/Kuzma
    Lopez/Bryant

18. therealdeal

19. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Nice.

LOL .... didn't realize her twitter pic is the "2 basketballs on her chest" shot.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Can we stretch Deng and and have room for those three or do we HAVE to trade him for no salary back?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.