2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    What if pop and the small market are the reason why he wants to go? If he truly loved pop I don't think the s*** last year woulda gone down. They're trying to get him to sign the max so he gets more money and be traded, I'm sure Kawhi knows this lol.

Carmelo Anthony and the Knicks gave the blue print on what not to do if the players heart is elsewhere as far as a different team/city they know they're gonna join one way or another.

2. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Sorry I didn’t make myself clear, they won’t sign him to the super max, they’ll let it be known to all teams that it’ll be on the table so they don’t need to trade him unless it’s a great haul.

3. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

For what it’s worth Cousins and George aren’t Kawhi caliber players. So their teams wouldn’t want to offer a supermax.

If I’m SA I sign him to the supermax or I trade him for an unbelievable haul, otherwise I won’t play ball. And yes I’d rather lose a player of that quality for nothing than trade him for deng, one of the young guys and zubac. You can’t save face when you do that, but you can say Kawhi turned coat if he leaves and the fans just turn on him.

abeer3 likes this.
  4. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Why is there virtually no talk about Kawhi’s injury effecting him getting the super max or trades? It’s kept him out a whole season. I understand if it’s known to typically be something players easily come back from, but he did try to come back and play and he couldn’t apparently.

We’d be taking a pretty big risk here if we traded what people are speculating SA wants for him in trade

tada, revgen, Bryant and 4 others like this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure Sacramento and Indiana thought they'd only trade their stars for a giant haul, but it didnt work out that way. Teams trading disgruntled stars always lose, it's just the way it works. And sure Kawhi is better than George and Cousins, but he's also been hurt for over a year now and comes with no small degree of his own baggage at this point. You might get a good team willing to give up "good" pieces for him, but nothing remotely close to a "haul" and certainly not all of our youth AND draft picks. Nobody will offer that for an expiring contract forcing their way out of San Antonio.

George got Indiana Oladipo (at the time a highly overpaid youngster) and Sabonis. Cousins got a bunch of New Orleans junk with Hield being their biggest get. Kawhi might get you an overpriced young guy and a couple okay cheap prospects. I never said Deng and one kid. I said Ingram and a sign and traded Randle which would be a great haul for them if Kawhi demanded a trade to LA.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it's a fascinating stare-off. leonard's camp can only get supermax from SA (right?), so they want it. but SA would probably rather keep him at closer to regular max, given their cap constraints and uncertainty about the organizational future, not to mention his year-long injury! there's a chance he misses out on the super max if things don't go well this season, too. weird room to be in.

if i'm SA, i probably bite the bullet and offer the contract. worst case you end up applying for disabled player exemption down the road. if you're both unhappy, the trade haul you get back for disgruntled supermax isn't going to be much worse than what real's projecting his trade value as right now. so, if real's right, they should offer big and keep him. if others are right (that he would fetch a king's ransom), they should move him right now. i thin real may be right: teams aren't throwing the house at them. i bet boston offered like, jaylen brown and memphis's lotto protected pick or something.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  7. therealdeal

I tend to agree, but I don't think the Spurs do it. I think the Spurs would rather move on than let themselves get held hostage just given their history and how they interact with their players.

What I'm most curious about is: how much of this is his injury and how much of this is him wanting out? It's been touched on, but if Pop is out in a year or two and Kawhi only wants to play if Pop is there, then he might want out for at least a little more understanding of a reason. Why be in San Antonio playing for a small market when there's no All-Time-Great coach there? It doesn't make sense for Kawhi, his brand, or his sensibilities.

8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I suppose. But if Kawhi is that close to Pop, why does Pop seem so annoyed and clueless as to what's going on?

9. therealdeal

I think he's annoyed, but I don't think he's clueless. I think he has clues, but doesn't like what they mean. I also think all of the Spurs, players and execs and everyone else, think Kawhi was forcing his way out for selfish reasons (bigger market, endorsements, etc). I think it's a bit of both and I think Pop knows that, but doesn't like it.

10. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I wonder if Reddick would ring chase if we do get Bron and George. He already got paid last season, imagine adding his shooting to the lineup.

I guess, if he really wanted to, he could just go to GS for that opportunity too.

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

I know we say it's about the money and yet you have guys like Dwight Howard or Kevin Durant leave more money for other places. However, I just can't see Kawhi Leonard saying no to the super max. If the spurs sign him to that, he is staying. at least that way, as hard as it would be, he can guarantee that money and see if someone could trade for him if they really wanted him.

If the Spurs don't offer him the super max, he either gets traded or he waits til next year.

My money is spurs give him the super max. If they don't , they are eff'd and at that point why would Pop stay. To get LeBron with that money? LeBron won't come if Kawhi is gone anyway.

12. therealdeal

Pop isn't going to coach for the next five years in fact this might be his last season coming up. He's an old man already. The latest is that the Spurs want him to suit up before they even offer the supermax.

Most people agree if Kawhi leaves that meeting without being offered the supermax, he's gone. I agree with that statement. The question is: will the Spurs offer it?

13. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I don’t think it would be a bad reboot for the spurs to trade with the Lakers for 2 youngsters and Deng, especially considering Pop might not be there much longer. They would have reason to resign Parker and Ginobli for grooming.

Not having a team in championship contention will probably speed up his retirement. Unfortunately, I do think Big Mouth Ball is a slight deterrent for any team looking to get Zo.

14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I don’t know if they will offer supermax... but they should.

15. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

.... And Derozan's on the block.

16. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

[​IMG]

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

hope itsb the clipps...never seen such a choker like dd that not only multi all star but even made all nba...guy makes eddie jones look elite in playoffs lol

18. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Jerry West dreaming of signing LeBron then getting DeRozan:

[​IMG]

19. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

ATL could be sitting with the 3rd and 4th pick by draft night?

Hope not, cause that makes one less dumping site for Deng.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he'll get multi yr 10+/yr easily

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.