2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i hope we can draft divi or huerter n play josh at backup pg/sg. if not id look to sign van fleet, give him the full room exception, tor cant afford him anyway, hes more of a scoring threat but hes progressing with his passing, we cant afford any scrub backup at pg spot, ball is brittle

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

OK. Didn't realize we were talking 4M for IT. What I'm uncomfortable seeing though is him having to play X number of minutes ... whether we are rolling (have a lead that he could blow if he's off just a little in the risky on the edge way he plays the game) ... or not. Could Luke handle him to where he doesn't let him cost us games if he's off and not have him go malcontent on the squad?

3. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Real, you don't need me to vouch for your cap-related posts, cause you plugged in boss. In fact, when it comes to the majority of your posts lately, you have my backing almost by default cause it seems we're like of mind at the moment (which was a far cry from yesteryear...remember your optimism vs my pessimism? haha).

Maybe another brilliant cap mind here, @EddieEddie , can look at the semantics of your post to corroborate it as well....but it looks good to me.

Other than abeer pointing out how DJ's bird rights would be kaput via this route, I do see DJ using CP3's leverage angle in an attempt to get an opt-in and trade. Lakers wouldn't have the necessary cap if we locked up PG/Bron for DJ to use us as leverage against the cLips, but with his interest in Houston and seeing how his buddy, CP3 did it last summer, I can see him using other teams as leverage to force his way to the Lakers.

We know that West is obviously okay with gaining assets instead of losing them, as was seen with the CP3 trade last summer leading to a re-upped LouWill. DJ is probably looking at how the cLips did Blake, so no way he tries to re-up with the cLips...so the leverage is plainly in his corner.

Add to that, his new powerful agent, Schwartz, who also reps BI. In fact, once Fegan s*** the bed in not delivering DJ to Cuban in 2015, DJ fired him and remained without an agent for 2 years till this last December (2 months before the trade deadline). So DJ is looking for an out and with Schwartz, he gets an in to the Lakers (BI), an in to Houston (JJ), an in to Dallas (Barnes) and even an in to the Cavs (Love).

Just think of all the delicious trade scenarios Schwartz, Rich Paul and Mintz have been concocting since December.

I can totally see Love, JR & Noel ending up with the cLips, Gilbert gaining future picks along with #12, 13 or their 25th pick back, Mavs getting Deng and for their troubles bringing Jules (on a lucrative deal), and 2 of 12, 13 or 25 (whatever the Cavs didn't get), OKC gets a traded player exception and future draft considerations and the Lakers get DeAndre & PG (via opt-in trade) and Bron via free agency.

If you use Deng (attaching valuable trade commodity) to bring in talent to pair with the 2max players, then that would be more than ideal. Hopefully that is the approach management is using.

And just as obvious as #cLEAVEland2.0 is...

Ya think????? Hahahaha

And consider this...for all his brilliance, Morey is the one that gave Anderson the albatross he has. Not to mention Morey tried and failed to bring in Melo last summer. The inept New York FO said no to Anderson in a potential Melo deal. Gilbert is a clown for sure, but him or anybody else for that matter, accepting Anderson is crazy....right?

Didn't Cuban in 2016, trade with the Dubs to bring back Bogut and a 2nd round pick....knowing that the Dubs were gunning for a sit down with KD in the Hamptons....um, better get to Mark with Deng before Morey does with Anderson.

4. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don’t want him, I can’t be swayed. :D If we re-sign IT I’ll legit be pissed. Yeah he can score 20 in a hurry, but he can also give up 30 while doing it. He is such a liability on defense the entire team on the floor has to cover for him, it constantly puts them in scramble mode, it’s like watching a train wreck over and over and over not being able to stop it. I know Caruso isn’t very good, that’s why I used him as an example, because that’s how much I don’t want IT back.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

IT, AC or both of them "He"?

sirronstuff likes this.
  6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    that's a gif that literally can be used on anyone at some point in time including Kobe. There are just days you suck.

IT mostly just sucks at D when he's full strength.

Caruso's game has more holes in it, but in the right system/role, I think he can be a solid role player.

but mostly I just wanted to use the gif. Just because. :Fishwink:

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm not trying to sway you, but I have no better options than IT unless you think Rondo would be better. I'd rather have IT than no one.

8. vasashi17

Pop aka the closer, looks to be refocusing his attention back to bball. And its cause I respect the s*** out dude, that I suddenly don't like our Kawhi trade chances...There is precedence here. Not only did LaMarcus back down from his trade demands, he was never really part of any serious trade rumors either this past deadline. Still a supermax player can't be traded till one calendar year after he puts pen to paper. Any potential Kawhi trade would have to wait till 2019/20 season if he decides on reuppin with SA.

abeer3 likes this.
  9. Weezy

Having IT is kind of like having no one. It’s 4 on 5 on defense so you’re playing no one on one side of the court. Yeah, he can score, but like Pau in his final Laker days, he gives up more than he gets. I’d have to think there are more creative options, it can’t be Rondo, IT, or no one.

10. therealdeal

You're basing this off of him at his absolute worst with us which is fair in some ways, but also selling him a little short (pun intended).

And I'm not sure there are better options.

Devin Harris, Ramon Sessions, Derrick Rose, Mario Chalmers, Julyan Stone, Jarrett Jack, Raymond Felton, Tony Parker, Jameer Nelson, Jose Calderon, Aaron Brooks, Shelvin Mack, Shane Larkin, Michael Carter-Williams, Trey Burke, Dwight Buycks, Isaiah Canaan, Seth Curry, Tyler Ennis, Tim Frazier.

Unless you can convince Tony Parker, I'm not sure there's a better fit. Michael Carter-Williams? Barely played for the Hornets last season?

11. vasashi17

In regards to IT, Jules and really any fringe namer outside the legit names...

Boogie might feel the squeeze and if we strike out on Bron, I do like the make good contract route (see khmrp and abeer posts) for Boogie.

Also match anything for Jules and deal with it (ie trade) later. Please don't let any valuable assets walk for nothing...

12. Weezy

I would take at least half of those guys over IT. Also, he will likely still be at his worst this season, he’ll be recovering for who knows how long, and there’s no guarantee he ever regains his form at his age. Also, he was never a defender even at his best in Boston when healthy, they had to hide him, they just had the talent to do so. His numbers still showed he was like the worst defender in the NBA though.

Juronimo and alam1108 like this.
  13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we can, i think, but only if we keep his cap hold (i.e., don't renounce his rights). and we can S&T after renouncing, but that would require him not having found a home prior and, again, having the requisite space remaining.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

get boogie/pg, tell jules to take qualifying offer n we'll pay him 18per next season

15. vasashi17

Yep...just like Real pointed out too...you can renounce your own free agent and as long as he remains on the open market (unsigned and no offer sheets pending), the home team can swoop back in and regain his bird rights using whatever remaining cap they have.

So for example, if LA renounces Jules and signs Bron and PG and let's just say we have 5M still remaining in cap space...we can regain Jule's bird rights if we still sign Jules to a one year deal using that remaining cap space (for example). Otherwise we can only offer him the room exception at that point if we ran out of cap space and since we used the room exception, his bird rights are gone. So this prevents the loophole of renouncing a players rights to remove their cap hold and use up all the available cap on other free agents, to only then regain that player's bird rights to bypass the cap and go into the threshold, if that player still remains as a free agent.

abeer3 likes this.
  16. therealdeal

Most of those guys will probably be out of the league this year. :D I definitely don't want half of them over IT. Not close.

17. Weezy

I’d also be open to drafting someone, like Javon Carter as a backup PG.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. therealdeal

I'd like that too, but that means another young guy. I think the Lakers likely will look for a veteran to lead the bench. Rondo is an option I wouldn't be surprised about given how close we were to getting him last summer, I just think he might be an awful fit for the chemistry we've got.

19. Weezy

He’s a young guy, but it’s a compromise, because he looks 40. He certainly doesn’t play young either, tough as nails and super smart.

If it came down to it, I’d take Rondo, who I can’t stand, because again, that’s how much I hate watching IT play basketball. Rondo destroyed IT last season, and i think he’d be fine playing on a championship caliber team again if LeBron and PG signed here, plus a good mentor for Zo.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

Rondo's demeanor is just a bad fit for us. Sure he holds everyone accountable, but not in a brotherly way. I'm not saying that's how it has to be done, but that's how it's done with this team. He's a competitor and that's good, but he's a d*** and that might not fit.

As for Javon, I'd love to take him, but I'm really not convinced he's an NBA guy. I think he's probably a third stringer in the NBA although a really good third stringer and a good presence in the locker room. He's just got some serious physical limitations and despite his tremendous effort defensively, I'm afraid his size will just leave him getting burned all the time.

Barnstable likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.