2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Not really. Just tells me he likes to be in control.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think it's pretty obvious what it means.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

The emm effer is coming. Lakers Fandom as we've known it is about to be changed forever not for better. Ring or not.

4. therealdeal

He's not staying there. Not unless they can get him Kevin Durant or something.

5. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

You're joking right? He likes to be in control. Why do you think he's been signing one-year contracts every year? Leverage and control.

6. LTLakerFan

You're fighting the good fight in being a LeBron to L.A. denier. But it's coming .....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

That may be the case but I just think he has a legitimate shot at staying if that BKN pick gets flipped for an allstar.

8. therealdeal

I have no reason at all to believe that the Cavaliers are willing to trade that pick. They had the opportunity to do so and actively chose not to while trading for young players. They have essentially thrown in the towel on keeping LeBron.

Are you joking? Or are you choosing to see things this way because you would like LeBron to stay there?

9. LTLakerFan

If only it were true. Alas ....

[​IMG]

10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

OK, so I assume you agree with me that Lebron likes be in control thus avoiding long contracts, yes? So that's settled... onto the Cavs...

1st question: Which is more likely to fetch an allstar?
    1. A Top 3 pick
    2. A pick that's likely to end up #8 through #12 (where BKN was a couple weeks ago)

2nd question: Why would the Cavs trade the pick at the deadline if they weren't getting a star back?

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. therealdeal

Your first question is obvious, the higher pick.

Second question is moot. They didn't trade it because LeBron wouldn't commit.

And the entire point is moot. They're not trading that pick. They had opportunities to do it (opportunities that would have returned someone like Paul George) and they didn't. They didn't because LeBron refuses to commit to their team beyond this season. The Cavs had trades in place that would net Paul George and LeBron STILL wouldn't commit. The Cavaliers are not going to trade their future away for a guy that won't commit and if he wouldn't do it for Paul George, who is he doing it for? Who are the Cavs trading that pick for that convinces LeBron to stay? There's nobody. That pick isn't getting Giannis. That pick isn't getting Harden. That pick isn't getting anybody better than Paul George.

LeBron is gone this summer. I'm not saying he'll be a Laker, but he won't be a Cavalier (and he'll probably be a Laker if we continue playing well).

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and TIME like this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

And to answer this question, no, I normally don't pay much attention to the East teams. I happened to notice that Brooklyn were losing a ton of games lately. There are like 6 teams with 18-20 wins right now. So the BKN pick is starting to look real nice.

Just making an observation, that's all really.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. therealdeal

Yeah I'm with you, I just don't see Cleveland trading that pick is all. They gave LeBron his opportunity to stay and I believe they're moving on with or without him with the young group they have. If LeBron walks, they'll try to trade Love away probably and then build around Brooklyn Pick/Hood/Clarkson/Nance. If LeBron stays, they'll still do the same thing.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think if they end up with a piece like Ayton, and if the Kawhi rumors are true, SAS would listen. And when they make their pitch you know Lebron would listen too.

With a Top 3 pick anything can happen real. Crazy things happen. If Kyrie and George demanded a trade last summer, so could Kawhi and Davis this summer.

15. therealdeal

I mean sure anything can happen, but I would be willing to bet that LeBron leaving is one of those anythings. :D

He's been blowtorching his bridges in Cleveland and Cleveland at the deadline reciprocated by not trading that pick AND trading for mostly just young guys. They're ready to rebuild and LeBron has made it clear he's ready to leave. If Kawhi ends up on the market (which I'm not convinced is a reality) then maybe San Antonio listens to a trade like that, but I wouldn't count on it. Besides, if Kawhi or Davis are on the market you can bet the Lakers and C Bags will be the ones sending out massive offers. Cleveland's only real asset left is that pick. I don't see them moving it. We'll see I guess.

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    why would Stephen A Smith listen?

:Randallconfused:

17. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Because you don't want to make an enemy out of him.

18. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

@tada I actually think the 1+1 deals were for pressuring Gilbert to spend. Its why Bron left Cleveland in the first place...he thought he wasn't getting the right personnel to help win a championship there. He goes to Miami where he doesn't press Riles/Arison with those type of deals.

Its on record that his family and friends did not want Bron to go back to Cleveland because of Gilbert. But he wanted to go back for the Land. So pressing Gilbert is good business, but he has no incentive to do it to us cause if he doesn't know that Magic is all about winning, he needs to do his homework.

Cleveland traded two expiring deals (IT, Frye), traded vet mins (Wade and Rose), traded a team friendly deal for an incoming one (Crowder for JC) and found a sucker of an organization to take on one of their bad deals (an injured Shump to Sac). JC and Nance are on good team friendly deals. They control Hood's free agency via his restricted status in an upcoming frigid FA market and lets not forget that G. Hill's deal looks crazy, but that 3rd year is non-guaranteed, so he essentially becomes an expiring deal next year.

These deals weren't for Bron...it was for Cleveland to get something back in return, since they would have had 85M in committed salary if their expirings came off the books (IT, Frye, Wade, Rose) and Bron left leaving Love, TT, JR, Korver, Shump, Crowder, etc on the roster. What free agent would come there with 16M in cap space and no LaBron there?

Instead, with these deals, they will avoid the luxury tax even if they match an offer sheet for Hood at lets say around 15M and with a projected top 5 pick salary of 5-8M via the BK pick.

They definitely can flip the 1st rounder for a star to convince Bron to stay, but based off everything that we've seen so far, it sure looks like LaBron is out and he really has nothing to owe the Land this time. He won them a title and with the BK pick projected to be in the top 5, he doesn't need to assist Gilbert with any assets via a S&T, like he did the 1st time he left the Land.

19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

@vasashi17 I agree that the trades they made weren't for Lebron. They were great trades regardless of Lebron staying or leaving, and we learned that Koby Altman is a very capable GM that can pull off a blockbuster trade with the proper assets.

As for the 1+1 deals, yes you can call it pressing. I call it leveraging and controlling... it's all the same.

Yes, Lebron hasn't made a commitment to stay, but there aren't any clear signs that he's leaving either. Honestly, let's not pretend like we know what Lebron is thinking. No one does, really. No one saw The Decision coming and very few thought he'd go back to the Land. He's got his own agenda, but we know that legacy and winning are 2 important factors. If Altman has a Kawhi or Davis trade in line when they make the pitch to him, I don't see him leaving.

20. LTLakerFan

"Yes, Lebron hasn't made a commitment to stay, but there aren't any clear signs that he's leaving either."

tada you and I are on the same page about pretty much everything (hoping @SavoryGriddles doesn't get all hurt again) (he just couldn't figure out that Kuzma phenomenon for the 1st 4 months) ( :clap: :rofl: ) ..... but Dude!! LeBron is sooooo gone. I wish it wasn't so and you were right you have no idea how badly.

tada and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.