2019/20 Players' Transactions: Breaking News , Trades, Free Agents, And Rumors

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by LaVarBallsDad, Jan 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Or you know, Thibs sucks .

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Most offensively challenged coach in the league but funny is minn off was ranked way higher than their d lol

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Isn’t this picture tampering? Also, I’d take Towns in a second, but he did suck in his first playoffs, like complete disappearing act aside from one game.

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Of course it is. If you are the Lakers .

alam1108, Cookie, gcclaker and 7 others like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

No .... LaVine isn't a Laker.

[​IMG]

6. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

It's an unwritten rule that players are okay to tamper but supposedly, player execs can't.

Weird that Shaq is part of Queens ownership but gets to comment on players all day long...On cable TV to millions. Oh what's that? You got to be a majority owner.

Well I guess Michael Jordan, majority owner of the Bugs (space jam pun intended), couldn't comment on Kob and LeBron or even Westbrook (via Jordan Brand)...But he did anyways... Although he don't care about no tampering charge cause he likes to gamble with his money.

7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Lavine would likely be a player involved in the trade. Not sure why he's even getting excited

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

he's a rfa so it thats unlikely, besides he's as poor of a defender as KAT, if I were Minn I'd ask for Dunn back along with 7th and Markanan lol

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. vasashi17

This applies to Jules too. Those with cap are bad and if they throw money at Jules then they'll remain bad (see: 35 win season with Jules possibly being LA's best player).

I know Dallas tanked and Carlisle is a good coach, but if they believe a 5th overall pick and a maxed out Jules gets them back into the title hunt, then Cuban is still drunk from that night where he slipped oh girl the #TrumpHump.

Also if Jules signs that Dallas offer, it tells us a little more about where he prioritizes his desire for the postseason and the culture (unless Animal House is his thang).

10. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Since when does being bad prevent teams from spending their cap space? A clear purpose for cap space is the capability to sign free agents in an effort to not be bad anymore. Granted it's debatable how much Randle or a Cousins with questions about his health move the needle but teams will always look to add talent where they can.

Lakeshow85 and Khmrp like this.
  11. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Good pt but i also get vash pt too, bad teams will still spend but they wont go balls out on guys like randle or a gimpy dmc. Of course theres dall who goes balls out on fa regardless of their potential or lack there iff, see barnes n Mathews deals lol

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  12. vasashi17

Historically bad teams want to meet their bottomline...Sneak into the green. Signing a max deal to a player means they're that much into the red.

Teams with at least one max slot (ie 25% cap space):
    Lakers
    Bulls (Reinsdorf)
    Philly
    ATL (clearly rebuilding & making a new arena)
    Sac (really?)
    Dallas

Of all those teams, LA's 2max plan puts us at the very least back into the postseason. Jules (as their highest paid player) added to any of those other teams (other than Philly) doesnt move the needle and have been so poorly run that I doubt they even get Jules/Mintz attention (unless they're really just gunning for that bag).

13. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I meant to comment on Lowe's point: "He’s a big man coming off an Achilles tear and half the teams [with cap room] don’t want to spend their cap room because they’re bad.’" I get the concerns on Randle/Cousins but was more so saying that teams with cap space, even bad ones, have proven a willingness to spend in the past. I don't view Randle as a MAX player. So I wouldn't just limit his suitors to those with MAX slots. Teams like Indy and Phx who have legitimate cap space - or at least can create it through moves - have been linked to him as well. I don't how much I buy it into their interest but who knows. Anyhow, I don't know that I buy the logic that Cousins/Randle might lack suitors because bad teams with cap space won't want to spend. I think these two express enough intrigue - when you consider Randle's age and Cousins' production when healthy - that they'd attract legitimate varied interest at the right price. That's the key. Randle at the MAX is the wrong price. Cousins at the MAX over 4 years, also an unattractive price. Less than that, I think even some of the crummy teams will come calling because they do want to improve. It's up to the FAs if they want to listen obviously. I don't think even a MAX offer will lure Randle to Sacramento.

But with regards to Dallas, I'd be stunned if they didn't use their cap space, even if it means overpaying. They haven't won a playoff series since 2011 and are coming off two miserable seasons. With some talent in place, the #5 pick, cap space and it being Dirk's last season, have to believe they are going full-throttle at putting a competitive team on the court next season.

14. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The longer this off-season goes, the more I think they'll take a contract back for picks. Dirk or no, they're a rebuilding team. Smith, #5, and their next pick will be their building blocks. Adding more 1sts helps teams like that more than maxing a guy who so far hasn't moved the win column. Didn't they already play this game with Barnes and Matthews?

15. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

since the lakers mozdeng-ed? i'm half-serious. not f***ing up is as important as succeeding when you're in some spots.

anyway, yes, i think dallas will aggressively try to spend its money, but real's right--it could be as a dumping ground. either way, they won't just sit on it (they did last year, and cuban doesn't seem to think it worked out for them). anyway, they'll take swings at both cousins and randle, imo. the question is at what cost. if you look at their history, they'll overpay short-term to scare off RFA owners. so, i'd look for something to randle in the three-year max range, team option on third year. this is part of why i keep looking at a 4/70 deal for randle (player option on 4th year). i don't think any RFA suitors have the stones to go full max on him.

i DO think at least one RFA suitor will go full max on capela, though, which should be awesome to watch.

16. therealdeal

Capela will be the next Biyombo. I hope Houston matches.

Lakeshow85, Cookie, gcclaker and 4 others like this.
  17. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    :Laugh: I think this sums up Leonard and the Spurs relationship quite well:

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

if you gotta beg soneone to take nearly a qtr of a billion dollar, you in trouble

19. therealdeal

See I think this is all the same posturing we've been seeing. All of this talk from Kawhi was in order to get that offer. Now it's out there, it's on the table. If he chooses to leave, everyone knows it's because he desperately wants out. The Spurs are playing an interesting game here. They're not a franchise that reacts well to this type of spotlight. The fact that they're airing everything tells me they're frustrated to the breaking point.

All of this and we still have no evidence Kawhi is 100% healthy.

20. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

According to this they would get rid of Thibs before Towns. Would be my guess too but only that .... a guess.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-timberwolves-dump-thibodeau-trading-160823130.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.