Fantasy Sports Racist

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion and Philosophy -(FORUM CLOSED)-' started by MonsterMash32, Aug 16, 2017.

1. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

First 3 min

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Seriously, can Shaun King just go away. Everything is not racism. Brady and Aaron Rodgers got drafted too. This is FAR from slavery, unless actual slaves were paid millions upon millions to play a game. This is the type of Far Left nonsense I'm whining about. Takes away from the real racism and injustice in this country.

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think in the current... climate we are in with regards to this sort of thing, this was at worst a dumb mistake by ESPN. An oversight, a lack of awareness of how this could be perceived, but I do not think it was racist and I absolutely don't think it was intended to be. Look bad in a certain light, sure, but I gotta go with a non-story unless you're looking for one.

Barnstable, John3:16 and lakerfan2 like this.
  4. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

It should be a non story, but it sounds like ESPN might have handled it badly by not showing the white players that were drafted along with the black? I'm not sure because I would have needed to see the actual program, and I don't feel the need to.

Either way, I don't think worrying about this is a good use of time.

MonsterMash32 and John3:16 like this.
  5. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I saw a clip of the first guy to go and in today's climate, the optics weren't great. The player I saw get auctioned was Odell Beckham Jr. and the majority of bidders were white (I saw one black woman and that's it). So anyone who doesn't understand auction drafts in fantasy might see it and think it's racist.

A mistake in this environment, but honestly not a big problem.

6. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-jemele-hill-curt-schilling-perceived-liberal-bias-2017-9

ESPN has found itself in the middle of another political firestorm as people are accusing it of being hypocritical for not firing "SportsCenter" host Jemele Hill for her comments on social media.

Many are saying that this latest incident is just another example of ESPN's liberal bias — that it fired Curt Schilling, the conservative-leaning baseball analyst, for something he did on social media but gave Hill something akin to a public scolding for calling President Donald Trump a white supremacist.

"The comments on Twitter from Jemele Hill regarding the president do not represent the position of ESPN," the network wrote in a statement. "We have addressed this with Jemele, and she recognizes her actions were inappropriate."

However, there is a simple reason Hill was not fired and Schilling was, and it only marginally has to do with politics.

Hill was not fired because this was the first time she violated ESPN's rules on discussing politics. Schilling was fired because he had repeatedly been warned to stop and did not.

In 2015, Schilling was suspended from the network for posting a meme on Twitter comparing Muslim extremists to Nazis. Schilling later apologized for the tweet and called it a "bad decision" and "100% my fault."

Six months later, Schilling said during an interview that Hillary Clinton, then a Democratic presidential candidate, should be "buried under a jail somewhere" regarding her email scandal.

That came shortly after ESPN issued a companywide directive telling employees to refrain from "political editorializing, personal attacks or 'drive-by' comments regarding the candidates and their campaigns." ESPN said it looked into the comments, but it did not discipline Schilling. He later said the email had ended up in his spam folder.

In April 2016, Schilling was fired after he shared a Facebook post in response to the North Carolina law that barred transgender people from using bathrooms that did not correspond to their gender assigned at birth.

If Hill does not heed the warning from ESPN, presumably she will suffer the same fate as Schilling. But until she shows that she is a recidivist like Schilling, it is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

Still, Hill will continue to be used as more evidence that ESPN has a liberal bias — though the network has also, among other things, twice divorced from frequent Trump-basher Keith Olbermann, increased the on-air presence of the conservative columnist Will Cain, made Sage Steele the face of "SportsCenter," and rehired Hank Williams Jr. to perform the opening song for "Monday Night Football."

The truth is the opposite. ESPN tries hard to be apolitical — the email Schilling says he never saw is just one example — and this latest incident is why: ESPN can't win when its faces dive headfirst into political discussions.

Not only is ESPN being slammed for not firing Hill — it's being criticized by people on the other side for scolding her at all. A quick scan of the Twitter hashtag #StandWithJemele shows that plenty of people feel that she did nothing wrong and that the network should be supporting her instead of distancing itself.

In the end, ESPN's problems are not political — though nonpolitical things are often labeled "political" simply because they are something that some do not like. Rather, ESPN's problem is one of diversity.

ESPN used to be a network dominated by white, male voices. In recent years, it has made a concerted effort to offer a bigger variety of voices and appearances that more people can relate to.

ESPN did move to the left. But that move was not an effort to be on the left as much as it was to be in the middle and not so far on the right. But, of course, for a few people on the right, all they see is ESPN is moving away from them.

Clarification: This article previously referred to Hill's comments as her "first offense." Hill had never been disciplined for disobeying ESPN's rules on discussing politics, but she was suspended in 2008 while she was an ESPN columnist for a joke comparing rooting for the Boston C Bags to rooting for Adolf Hitler.

7. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

I guess having a fair debate about social issues when they come up with both sides present is a right wing position now.:Lonzoreally:

8. Barnstable

Well now I like her even more

9. therealdeal

That is one of my favorite, fair pieces I've seen in a while.

sirronstuff, Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    All is forgiven! I love you Jemele. Will you marry me?

:Laugh:

John3:16 and Barnstable like this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Great take by Jemele. I really admire that she hasn't backed off her stance one bit.

Barnstable likes this.
  12. Barnstable

Love her response there.

100% respect

sirronstuff likes this.
  13. Weezy

I like Hill (and Smith). I like what they've brought to a stale SportsCenter, and I find them funny and entertaining. I like a lot of her takes too, she seems very intelligent and most importantly, knowledgeable about the sports she covers. I don't agree with all her opinions, same as I don't say, Wilbon and Kornheiser, but I love watching them anyway.

sirronstuff likes this.
  14. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand

I can't stand either of them. I was shocked they stayed on at ESPN when half the staff was fired a few months ago.

EDIT: This was my post back in April in the ESPN thread discussing the firings.

18158028_1701691113181077_2511227498667583985_n.jpg

15. therealdeal

I have no opinion on them as people, but then again I haven't watching ESPN casually in years.

Barnstable likes this.
  16. Weezy

I really liked their show His and Hers, so I guess that's why I like their SportsCenter. Compared to people like Screamin' A, or boring sports highlights ready by Lindsay Czarniak every afternoon, I prefer the Six. Someone I can't believe was kept on during all the firings would be Will Cain. Dude is an annoying little troll and he knows it, it's his gimmick. Any time he is on The Russillo show I change it immediately, and I don't even watch First Take anymore, it's a phony show.

17. John3:16

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    ^^^ I've seen their show (His and Hers). They host SportsCenter now? Shows how long it's been since I've watched ESPN.

18. Barnstable

I do not watch ESPN. I do however watch youtube clips on Lakers stuff from ESPN, so I like what Ive seen from Hill. I don't know the other guy

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. GlickenGoshDebate Tactics

GlickenGoshDebate Tactics Guest

Well Screaming A is their ace talent...

20. MonsterMash32

MonsterMash32 - Rookie -

As long as he's not talking Tebow, Cowboys or anything else he plays with himself to, Skip is. Shannon is a bigger idiot, even when he's not mega race baiting.

Stephen is ok, depending on the top. Max....should stick to boxing. There's a reason we got sexy (lol) Tony in the moderator booth on ATH.