Fantasy Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by SR05, Oct 8, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think Manning basically got lucky on that drive. Thomas was bottled up almost all game and then Peyton suddenly remembers this guy is big, strong, and can catch anything in his radius.

KC definitely screwed up trying to run the ball for no reason. I don't know what that's about.

2. Helljumper

Helljumper - Lakers All Star -

Student
    I'm in a family league (ESPN Fantasy Football) with uncles and cousins. Uncle 1 is commissioner. Uncle 2 was playing against him this week. Uncle 2 was keeping up with Fantasy Cast all weekend and notice that in the middle of the day on Monday, a player on Uncle 1's bench (David Johnson who scored 20+ points) was suddenly inserted into his lineup to replace his flex who had gone scoreless. Uncle 2 accused Uncle 1 of cheating and using his commissioner powers to change his line-up after players had been locked out. Uncle 1 claimed that he had made the move on Sunday morning but that ESPN occasionally has a delay where they don't update the rosters until the following morning.

I looked at the transaction logs, and the only lineup change that Uncle 1 made was registered in the log at 12:57 PM on Monday.

Sounds incriminating but I still want to give him the benefit of the doubt. It looks like that log might be in Eastern Time meaning that the lineup change was registered at 9:57 AM on Monday. So if ESPN truly does have some delays where they wait till the next morning to process/update/correct things occasionally, it would make sense that it would happen around that time (before 10 AM PST, since that is when games start on Sunday morning).

Anyone have any thoughts? Is there even a slight chance that Uncle 1 is telling the truth?

PS, when Uncle 2 called him out, Uncle 1 said that if Uncle 2 ended up scoring enough points to the point where he would have won before the line-up change, that Uncle 1 would call up ESPN and have them switch David Johnson back to the bench. This ended up being the case, and by the end of last night, Johnson was back on Uncle 1's bench. This move was registered at 11:51 PM on the transaction log. So this clearly shows that he does have SOME type of commissioner powers that allows him to change line-ups.

3. therealdeal

I'm going to say your uncle cheated.

1. I've never heard of such a delay
    2. If he was really innocent, he would have had no motivation to change the player out regardless of circumstance. Why do it? If he set his lineup at a reasonable time, then what he did was perfectly legal and he deserved to win.
    3. This sounds like exactly the reason I wouldn't want to be in a family league... yikes!

What player did he switch out for David Johnson?

4. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I have Marshawn Lynch starting at RB. Who should be my other RB?

I have Jonathan Stewart in the lineup, but he's banged up and hasn't done much - and Brees is out.

I have DeAngelo Williams, who has torn it up, but their other RB is returning to action today.

I have Melvin Gordon, but he hasn't done jack so far.

5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I've been commissioner on ESPN and Yahoo. On Yahoo I definitely can change lineups, like immediately on the spot. I've done it for people (not me) who couldn't login because they were traveling. I don't know if I've done it on ESPN, and that was years ago, but I wouldn't be surprised. Even if Uncle 1 cheated, it doesn't matter - it was worked out through talking it out. I'd drop it.

6. therealdeal

Gordon looked great in his last game but Woodhead continued to eat into his carries. I have Gordon and I'm starting him in place of the potentially injured Lacy. I think he has a decent week this week. RB2 status I'd say.

trodgers likes this.
  7. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Gordon over Stewart?

8. therealdeal

Hmmmmm... Nah. My gut says Gordon has a good game, but Stewart against maybe the worst team in the league? I expect Carolina to have a strong game so I think Stewart has a shot at a lot of opportunities.

9. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Foster went down and destroyed my already weak RB group. The remaining backs I have -- Murray, Hyde, and CJ Anderson.

I have some depth with receivers...
    Green, A. Brown, Bryant, Robinson, Maclin.

I know I can get Shady for Robison, but Shady has yet to look very Shady like.

Any suggestions?

10. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm in the same boat with RB's. Charles went down and all I have left if Ivory who is injury prone and Woodhead who is a weak RB2 at best, but has gotten more looks with Gordon being benched.

I'm very strong at WR with Cobb, James Jones, Jarvis Landry, John Brown and just snagged Stefon Diggs who is probably my ODB pick for this year.

I need an RB1 bad and will probably be sacrificing any of my WR's to get one.

I'm up 14 points in my matchup with John Brown still to go, he has Palmer and Fitzgerald going. I'm hoping for a Ravens shutout. :)

@JSM - First thought is to obviously cuff Alfred Blue if he is still on waivers. Doug Martin may be a realistic target in a trade as well.

11. therealdeal

@JSM I'd flip Dez if there's a Cowboy fan out there. Sure he'll be back from injury, but the rest of your WR core is fine. If you can turn Allen Robinson (I assume it's Allen) into Shady do it and don't look back. You need the depth. The rest of your WRs will pick up the slack.

@lakerfan2 Woodhead gets hate that I just don't understand at this point. You know he's a Top 10 fantasy RB right now in ESPN leagues? The guy is a tremendous fantasy asset as long as that O-Line keeps forcing Rivers to check down. Roll with him in your RB2 or FLEX spot with confidence. I also have Gordon, but with nowhere to run and now some fumble issues, the kid is a handcuff at best.

I'd trade Jones away if you can. Sure he's been great, but Adams will return and Montgomery was making headway. Not to mention Lacy will eventually be used in that offense when the weather turns and you can't trust the pass.

As for me I'm off to the roughest 3-3 start I've ever had. Lost a game by 0.1 and a game by 0.7 fantasy points. I've got Lacy, Hill, and Luck as my stars and guess what that's done for me? :D I've also got Bernard, Woodhead, Hilton, John Brown, Sanders, AJ Green, and Greg Olsen so I'm hanging in there but so far it's been such a frustrating year.

12. lakerfan2

Don't get me wrong, Woodhead has been fine. In PPR leagues he's a beast. With the league running committee's, he's been consistent. I'm just still salty losing Charles.

Yeah, injuries are part of Fantasy, but with the Rivers has been producing for me, and my WR3's producing like WR2's, I would be crushing it with Charles/Ivory as my RB's.

The only hole in my lineup has been Jimmy Graham. Wasted a 3rd rounder on him too. I need to somehow snag Barnidge from my buddy who has no idea he's going off.

13. therealdeal

Injuries suck. I've been more or less fortunate with no major injuries (knock on wood) but I've had the problem of the single game missers. So my guy gets an ankle sprain in the 2nd quarter then sits out the rest of the game but you know he's fine next week. Annoying as all hell.

Yeah Graham has been a disappointment. I warned my buddy to stay away from him. I know he's on a better team, but not a better fantasy situation at all...

14. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Damn. Lost my best running backs in separate leagues in consecutive weeks. Lost Bell this week.

Snatching up Spiller, with Robinson out his role has to bump up.

15. therealdeal

I don't know. Khiry's main role was the goal line/short yardage back. I think if anything they just lean heavier on Ingram now. Robinson is a good young back with power so they had to find some role for him, but now I think more work for Ingram. I think the uptick for Spiller will be minimal, but he's got his own role. He's stepping into the Sproles role with a little more upfield receiving duties. I think he's a solid flex option moving forward.

16. lakerfan2

Trading away Cobb for Charcandrick West. After losing Charles, and unable to snag any of the waiver gems like West or Williams, I need another solid RB.

I'm not sure how much more work Woodhead will get with the Chargers pretty much out of the playoff picture, I'm sure they'll want to let Gordon get some run.

I already have Landry, Diggs, John Brown, LaFell and James Jones as my WR's. I think I can afford to let go Cobb at this point.

17. therealdeal

That's a good move. West has a great schedule/workload and there's a lot of problems in GB right now.

Lacy was my 2nd best keeper in my dynasty league. GB has completely abandoned him. When given an adequate workload, he's produced. Even then though their O-Line is built for pass protection. They can't give the bruiser any room to bruise. Starks makes more sense because he's faster even if he's not as good and older. I don't know what to do with Lacy now...

Meanwhile Luck- Out. Melvin Gordon- Flop. Jeremy Hill- Flop. I'm stuck relying on Giovani Bernard and Danny Woodhead as my RBs. AJ Green has been alright, but he's hit or miss sometimes with Dalton. TY Hilton has been alright, but without Luck he's limited. Sanders has been good but Davis now in the fold means eventually his targets are likely to decrease. I'm just barely hanging on here.

18. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

How'd yall do this season?

One league ended brutally. Had the second most points for but the most points against and only strung together 5 wins because of it. Missing the playoffs. This is the league we're going to have 2 keepers from going into next season. I thought I had it figured out, after my RBs projects all fell flat on their face, but then Cam happened. Here's the top of my crop -- Antonio Brown, Allen Robinson, AJ Green, and Cam. Keeping Brown, but will Cam's MVP season be a fluke or will he continue to be an unstoppable force when he gets Kelvin Benjamin back next season?

In the other league, I'm heading to the finals. David Johnson's 40 points helped lock that in.
    [​IMG]

19. therealdeal

Missed the playoffs in my main league on stupid technicalities.

I'm in the 2nd Round in another league. Pressure is mounting!

20. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

So in one of my leagues, we're doing it as a keeper league. Keeping Cam and Antonio Brown (had no RBs worth noting).

Just had our rookie draft (1 round) and lucked into the first pick, netting me Ezekiel Elliott.

Entering the draft without the 20 best prospects essentially (10 team league, each team can keep 2 players), I felt like that was a huge get. He's getting some insane rankings early on and if he lives up to half of that then I'll be satisfied.