Eight Man Rotation Coming?

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by trodgers, Oct 17, 2014.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on...tt-is-mad-at-the-lakers-after-another-blowout
    "I'm going to find eight guys that's going to compete on both ends of the floor -- and that will be the eight that I roll with," said Scott.

Rotoworld:
    Can we even run an 8-man rotation? SHOULD we in preseason?
    Lin
    Kobe
    Johnson/Randle
    Boozer
    Hill/Davis

Kelly? Price? Who's 8?

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Horrible idea, IMO. First off, we're not competing for a championship this year. We need to develop young players. Secondly, Kobe and Nash are long in the tooth. Assuming Nash is part of that 8 man rotation, he'll play 2 - 3 games and be injured again.

3. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Exactly. Assuming Nash/Kobe/Wesley/Boozer/Hill are part of the rotation and Lin/Davis are as well, that leaves one spot for Randle/JC/Kelly who all need minutes to develop. It's still early and things can turn around quickly. Byron is trying to push buttons to get what he can out of the team, but I hope he isn't serious about an 8-man rotation or the threes thing.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Byron, be "real" here for crissakes! Listen to the comments directly above, here at Lakers Ball. Seriously! A whole lot smarter than what just came flying out of your mouth. Here's a tip for you: no matter how harda$$ you are with these guys, no matter how much defense you hope they will play, you don't have the effing horses. Or size, talent and heart other than Kobe and Nash. And Nash doesn't even count. Dumb, dumb, dumb plan to even be talking about with 4-5 key guys effing OUT right now. Jeezus! [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Showtime Mamba, XXIV and trodgers like this.
  5. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Do you think we overran Nash already when he needed a moderate training camp to survive? Learned you nothing when Riles wiped out your hammy? 8 sounds a little thin. Sounds like *gasp* Mike Dan Tony.

trodgers likes this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Well given how injury prone he is, I think Nash will take care of himself and spend most of the season with a suit on.

If Wesley Johnson is in the rotation, I need to invest in some spare remotes to replace the ones that I will be breaking after hurling them at the nearest wall.

Even if they start on the bench, I think Clarkson and Randle will be regulars in the rotation by Christmas.

7. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    For each player over 30 in your starting lineup, the 8-man rotation becomes more ridiculous.

8-man rotation with Nash, Kobe, and Boozer in the starting lineup is just stupid.

ElginTheGreat and sirronstuff like this.
  8. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

An 8 man rotation is dumb, even dumber when you consider we have Kobe and Nash on the team. I understand the type of mindset Byron is trying to instill into this team but we just don't have the players to do so.

9. five6two

five6two - Rookie -

Byron's just trying to light a fire under these guys. An 8 man rotation is pretty thin and if that were going to happen, Nash wouldn't be a part of it. I'm so sick of that guy, as much I as respect what he has accomplished, just disappear already. Whoa, that might be a bit extreme but I guess I'm just venting. As far as an 8 man row goes, we haven't even seen Henry or Kelly but, is that what's it's come to? Man time's are tough out here.

trodgers likes this.
  10. ArC_man

ArC_man - Rookie -

I suggest people listen to the entire postgame interview before jumping to conclusions as the quote is being taken out of context. Byron clearly means he's going to play the guys who are going to play the hardest (and he says he hopes we can have 9-10 players who are going to compete hard and get minutes). Why would he limit himself to 8 players when he hasn't even seen 3-4 of the potential rotation pieces yet? People are really trying to project their worst fears onto these small quote snippets, relax it's only preseason.

11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

it's got to be a threat to those guys who thought they'd get playing time simply because of the dearth of talent on the squad. right?

I hope so.

trodgers likes this.
  12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I guess, but how much leverage does BScott have?

13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Once 'Antoni stopped choking on the chicken wing after hearing Byron say how few 3's he wanted shot this year......and now seeing our utter ineptitude with making the few we take, he's probably laughing his you know what off, in addition to the laughter provided by seeing his successor ALSO hammered with multiple players out and 115 points a night put up against us in 40 point beat downs.

Not to be taken as a defense of 'Antoni. But this 3 ball situation is frightening. What the hell happened to Ellington? [​IMG]

14. LakersN4

LakersN4 - Rookie -

I don't think there will be any point this season where we can get away with an 8 man rotation.. This team is going to have to rely on depth. Kobe, Young, & Lin are the only guys that can play really heavy minutes effectively. & I think most of us want Kobe's minutes limited. PF & C will need to continue to be platoon situations all season.

15. fabulus

fabulus - Rookie -

I think d'antoni and brown got more slack on the forums than 3 preseason games. Just shows how desperate we are for a winning team. Let's reflect back a couple years on Mitch's reassurances. He's got to put together a group of guys that can win in this league. IMO we still don't have that.

16. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

Very obvious that the first thing he is teaching them and they need to learn is to play hard. Eight man rotation is good if all he has playing hard are eight people. Others start playing hard they can join the party. Ten man rotation with two people not holding up their part is much worse than a solid eight man rotation. Another great move by Scott. It would seem we might give Coach Scott a bit more latitude before condemning what he is doing?? lol..