Draft Thread 2018: LA Has The #25 & #47 Overall Picks... And #39 Now

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I hope Ainge drafts him. They deserve each other.

alam1108, tada, Juronimo and 2 others like this.
  2. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Didn't coach K have him run the point a lot and try to groom him there which is part of the reasons why he stayed?

Allen and Hart would be a nice combo off the bench, we can use Allens grit and fire. ..once again off the bench. I also love the fact he wouldn't be liability on switches with his length.

If anything also think about Allen firing up Ingram since they go way back. Like him or not, Allen seems like a worker....loves the game, if they think his talent is worth the value then I hope we pull the trigger especially if Divi isn't there.

jbiggs likes this.
  3. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

Certainly the hype was at its highest in the 2015 NCAA Tourney and arguably a very solid sophomore season as well.
    Certainly he deserves a lot of the dirt thrown his way for being a dirty punk. The tripping stuff was just stupid.

That said, brush that aside, and he's carved out a very solid college career and he has skills that will translate. He's a versatile scorer and specifically a very solid outside shooter, he's a good enough passer to function as a primary ball-handler for stretches and he's a willing defender and a good team defender. Watching him this season, I saw someone who has matured and willingly took on the role of team leader. Whatever opinion you may have, he's a legitimate NBA talent who I think can be a JJ Redick-type in the NBA.

jbiggs and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  4. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    We REALLY could use a JJ imo.

Good post Eddie. Good ying/yang compliment to lonzo, once again imo. I'm not big college guy so don't rip me a new one guys lol.

5. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Allen is not Redick. Redick in his senior season shot %52 from 2, and %42 from 3, averaged 26.8 ppg. Allen shot %50 from 2 and %37 from 3, averaged 15.5 ppg. The only thing I’d say Allen has on Redick is maybe hops, other than that he’s a 2nd rounder at best. Allen isn’t even a Josh Hart level prospect to me, Hart also had a better senior season in those averages. There are so many other players I’d look at before Allen he doesn’t even register, if he didn’t go to Duke no one would care. So, I repeat, f*** Grayson Allen.

6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

DiVi >>> Grayson, it’s not even close.

Weezy likes this.
  7. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I didn't mean to say Allen is Redick. I said Redick-type in that there are similarities, at least those that extend beyond being a white guy spent four years at Duke. I see a sort of undersized SG with not a lot of athleticism who makes up for it by being a very cerebral player, who can score in a variety of ways and works hard defensively. Mind you Redick was also a hated player at Duke too. If I actually thought Allen was Redick, then I wouldn't bother saying the Lakers should consider him because he'd be long gone by #25.

8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
  9. Weezy

I got you, but that’s the thing, that is where the the comparisons end for me, both white guys that played 4 years at Duke. Redick got better as he went along, Allen trended down as his career ended. As you pointed out, his sophomore season was solid, and really his best, which is not a good sign at all to me. When the best you can do in college as a senior is average 15 points and shoot %37 from the college 3 when you’re supposedly a shooter, not impressed. Even guys we’ve taken in the 2nd round or late 1st put up more respectable numbers for their schools, despite not being as large programs as Duke. I just don’t honestly see a lot of potential in Allen. If I did, and he was actually a player I thought could help the team, I’d get over his antics, but as he is it’s not worth it to me. There are better prospects are out there even in the mid-2nd where we have a pick.

10. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

I don't fault Grayson for not putting up big scoring totals the last two seasons personally. In 2015-2016, he was a solid 21.6ppg but it was just him and BI above 12ppg - so he had more opportunities (14.25 shots a game). In 2016-2017, he took a backseat to Kennard and Tatum, both of whom would go on to be lottery picks. He only took 10.5 shots a game and actually dealt with injuries that season. In 2017-2018, he took a backseat to Bagley III - who we all expect to be a Top 5 pick - ad he also had to share shots with Trent Jr., Carter Jr. - both of whom should be 1st round picks, with the latter a likely Top 10 pick. He took 11.7 shots a game. The influx of ridiculously talented freshman the last two years and the resulting fewer shots is really why he didn't match his sophomore season. He at least improved on his ball-handling, playmaking, defense and leadership skills. As for his 3FG%, yeah 37% isn't ideal for a "shooter" but he has good mechanics, a quick release, can create his own shot and he has shown that his game is useful beyond just shooting. If shooting was all he was supposed to be able to do, then yeah, that'd definitely be a cause for concern. I think he can improve in the NBA on that percentage.

LTLakerFan and abeer3 like this.
  11. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Pretty solid at driving no? Especially if he wasn't in a clogged a** college paint?

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

talks like dirk. plus.

odd that he doesn't even pay lip service to defending. minus.

LaVarBallsDad and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't use a late first on Grayson, but I'd use an early second. I think he's better than you guys are giving him credit, but he's got enough question marks that I'd rather invest in some of the other late-1st kids first.

Big Mamma Jamma likes this.
  14. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

15. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

Wonder what complaint Lavar will have after that workout. He’ll blame somebody for sure, or overhype the workout results to the public.

16. Weezy

I’m surprised he trusts our bulls*** staff’s ability to evaluate his amazing son’s astounding talents.

17. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I really like this kid. I went back to review his high school tapes and this kid just has a natural feel for the game.

He’s more athletic than I would have supposed and he can flat out shoot. He’d be great for the 2nd unit.

Kid needs to put on some muscle. He looks like an ectomorph with his narrow shoulders. He needs to put on some muscle. He could be a great shot in the arm off of the bench.

Toklat and TIME like this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  19. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Hmmm maybe Lonzo and..... we can give them LaVar, LiAngelo, and LaMelo too!

:Kobe Snickering:

I'm joking

Khmrp, LTLakerFan and sirronstuff like this.
  20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

To get Doncic, we would have to move up all the way to the no.2 pick. Not happening.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.