Draft Thread 2018: LA Has The #25 & #47 Overall Picks... And #39 Now

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He's only a freshman. It'd be a big mistake I think to go early if he doesn't get a 1st guarantee.

2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Next time try to put some details into your posts instead of these abbreviated posts you’ve been doing lately.

alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  3. therealdeal

I actually agree on Milton, but I'm hesitant now at #25 on him. He didn't test well athletically so he'll really rely on his length and skill level in the NBA. His showing at the Combine tells me his skill level might not be high enough to invest guaranteed money on right now.

I'd look for him in the 2nd though.

4. therealdeal

[​IMG]

5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Why? 2nd rd get chance to get the bigger extension quicker if they ball out...look at clarkson n randle

6. therealdeal

Because the vast majority of 2nd rounders don't stick in the NBA and they have no guaranteed money. Clarkson is a rarity and Randle was the 7th pick in the draft.

There's no rush for a kid like Porter. Get better, then get paid guaranteed money.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  7. therealdeal

Veeeery interesting.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. therealdeal

By far my favorite workout group we've had in thus far.

Here I already covered Omari Spellman and Javon Carter. Javon is also the owner of one of the weirder interviews at the Combine. I'm still trying to figure out what he's looking at and why he's so angry this entire interview.

Elijah Bryant- 6'4", PG, BYU. Jr. To be honest I don't know much about him, but his numbers show a decent defender, he's obviously fairly strongly built, and he turned himself into a legitimate deep ball threat this last season at BYU jumping from 27.8% to 41.8% while taking 2 more threes per game. I'm not sure he's an NBA guy, I just have don't have enough exposure.

Trey Kell- 6'4", PG, San Diego State. Sr. To be honest, I'm not impressed with this guy at all. I appreciate the effort put into this video, but the numbers on Kell are awful. Four years in school, starting 112/134 games, and he never dramatically improved in any aspect. The only area he made decent progress on was assist to turnover ratio, but that's it. He's a very low efficiency shooter/scorer who had one solid season two years ago. I'm not impressed.

Gary Trent Jr.- 6'5", SG, Duke. Fr. I've talked about Trent in the past. At that point, I'd compared him to Klay Thompson and their Freshman college numbers are shockingly similar. Klay as a Freshman at Washington State put up 12.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.9 assists, 0.9 steals, 0.6 blocks, 2.1 turnovers and had 42.1/41.2/90.3 splits. Gary Trent Jr. posted 14.5 points, 4.2 rebounds, 1.4 assists, 0.4 steals, 0.1 blocks, 1 turnover and had 41.5/40.2/87.6 splits. One of the big differences between the two is Klay is bigger. Klay came into the draft at nearly 6'6" without shoes on and Trent is closer to 6'4". Their wingspan is nearly the same, but Klay's standing reach is 8'7.5" and Trent's is only 8'2" somehow. Trent is faster than Klay, but less agile side to side. Trent also has a better vertical. I thought Trent showed some good things in the Combine although most mocks still have him in the 2nd Round. I obviously like him more than most.

Kostas Antetokounmpo- 6'9", F, Dayton. He's not quite as interesting an athletic profile as Giannis, but certainly more than the other brother. Kostas is already 6'9" with a 9'2" standing reach. He tested dead last in agility tests, but has a solid vertical and wingspan. He is the very definition of raw. His numbers in college are completely unremarkable as he played just 15 minutes per game. He's a defensive minded player who has shown good rim protecting instincts and flashes solid passing ability. He's more a Center than anything else right now as he has no real jumper and he's all arms and legs. I'm probably not using a 1st on him, but he's worth a 2nd round flyer if he stays in the draft. He should probably go back to school though.

9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I know fans are going to be intrigued by Greek's brother. But I'm more excited about:

Jevon Carter - who was a beast defensively during the draft combine games. Increased his draft potential.
    Omari Spellman - likely won't get drafted by us when we have Thomas Bryant whose game I like better.
    Gary Trent Jr. - intriguing prospect who shot it real well last year at Duke, but can he keep that up and show other skills.

10. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I see a lot of potential with Kostas to take a 2nd round flyer on him.

Right now, his game and his body are still developing, but I think he has a good foundation in both to become better. I see a bit of Clint Capela in him, which he compared himself to in an interview, good natural instincts around the rim. I'm surprised about the agility results because he seems pretty agile for his size and athleticism, he just needs to put more work in the weight room because he also came in at only 195.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  12. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  13. therealdeal

14. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

LOL .... 40 seconds in there that's probably Hart and Simon in the background with the handles work pounding their balls loudly. Errrrr ...... this below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. lakerfan2

Damn, DiVi killed it in the combine. His stock is going to skyrocket even more. I hope we can snag him at 25, he looks very NBA ready and would a solid addition behind Lonzo.

17. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Divi,hart and Kuzma bench would be so sweet.

Who else has killed the combine and is an athletic freak at the combo guard spot?

18. therealdeal

For combo guards that'll be available with our pick? There's not many.

PGs- maybe Brunson, Isaac Bonga, Elie Okobo (the last two are foreign, not at the Combine), Javon Carter
    SGs- Gary Trent, Jacob Evans, Khyri Thomas, Rawle Atkins, Josh Okogie
    PG/SGs- Grayson Allen, Donte DiVincenzo, Shamorie Ponds
    SG/SFs- Keita Bates-Diop, Melvin Frazier, Bruce Brown, Chandler Hutchison

Cookie likes this.
  19. lakerfan2

I wouldn’t say athletic freak, but Jevon Carter got a lot of praise for his play. He’s an older player, but that just means he’ll be more NBA ready. He had defensive honors multiple times in college and seems to bring some intensity to the game. Probably like a Marcus Smart type of player.

20. EddieEddie

EddieEddie - Rookie -

In my mock I had the Lakers drafting Khyri Thomas. Legit 3&D. 2 time DPOY in the Big East and a solid 40.6% on threes for his 3 years at Creighton.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.