Draft Thread 2018: LA Has The #25 & #47 Overall Picks... And #39 Now

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Nice. I know you love big men, but I am especially paying attention to the guards and wings you like; preferably two-way guys that can shoot.

therealdeal likes this.
  3. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Backup PG and compliment to Lonzo would be great.

4. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Mamba mentality right there. You know Kobe would have loved to be in that situation just for the challenge of it.

That’s the kind of PERSON you want in your team. Hope he has the talent for the next level. Looks pretty polished already.

therealdeal likes this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

any 3/d wings in our range with the 2nd rd pick? we need more a brewer type that can shoot

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm still working my way down the list. I'll take a look at some of the wings projected in the 2nd round and get back in here at some point this week. I'll try to day, but we'll see.

Khmrp likes this.
  7. therealdeal

So immediately the first name to pop up on nbadraft.net in our draft position no less was Jalen Hudson. Draftexpress/ESPN has him going higher (in the 30s). There's not much on these guys in the 2nd round, but from what I could see:

• Good size and length for a SG at 6'5". He's strong.
    • More of a scorer than a shooter, but developing. He's shooting 44% from the college line so far. Hit 8 threes on Gonzaga this year.
    • Defense isn't necessarily a strong suit, but he's a good athlete so there's potential there.
    • Decision making is very suspect.
    • Tends to lose focus on body control. He swings his legs around a lot on his jumpers. It works in college, I'm not sure it works in the pros.
    Another name that popped up: Isaac Bonga. He's actually a 6'9" PG for Germany, not really a 3/D wing.
    • Has above average vision due to his size at the position.
    • Okay athlete, but able to use his size to create angles around the basket.
    • Not a shooter right now at all.
    • Unique body type lends itself to possibilities in today's NBA, but he's a gamble. Might not commit to the draft this year.
    The last one for today: Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. His name should be a little familiar, he's a Senior with Kansas who played with Jackson and Mason III last year.
    • He's a good shooter. His career college shooting percentage is 40.1 and he's shooting lights out so far this year at 48.1%.
    • Not very fast or quick, but can get up in space.
    • He's an underrated passer. Can get a little too fancy at times, but has solid vision.
    • Defensively might not be a stalwart, but will play smart.
    • He's compared a lot to Ginobili, but I think he's probably more like Omri Casspi.

Cookie likes this.
  8. therealdeal

He talks about:

Jarrey Foster- SMU- SF/PF More defensive focused. Not a great creator. Great athlete.
    Kevin Hervey- UT Arlington- SF/PF More of a creator. Health is a massive issue (two ACL surgeries at 21 years old).
    Chandler Hutchinson- Boise St.- SG/SF/PF- Growth spurt turned a guard into a wing. Not a great handler, but good passer. Shooting a work in progress.
    Milik Yarbrough- Illinois St.- F- multi talented, but needs to work on working hard.
    Max Strus- DePaul- F- A good shooter, but a non-athlete and doesn't bring much else to the table.

9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    What if BBB had a longer season than college and played more games? Does this potentially mean full time coaching jobs, or more AAU nonsense? It is actually feasible that the kids that spend a year in a more focused program may have greater gains, but the right infrastructure would need to be in place. You are talking about removing all veterans from the equation, and I'm not seeing the benefit of that. I wonder if the NBA ends up making changes to the G League to allow these kids that are pre-draft. Should make drafting of talent a little more complex. You'd be seeing talented kids only against each other, but not against more seasoned players.

sorry if this is derailing, but seemed related since future talent evaluation threads might have to account for a new stateside league.

10. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

should keep this active even with our measley den 2nd rd pick

11. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    [​IMG]

Relevant thread bayby

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I'm hoping we move the 1st with Deng, but I'd like a Clint Capela like Center if we keep it.

13. therealdeal

There's a LOT of guards in this draft and a LOT of projects. I'll try to dig into it later if I have time.

14. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    My best hope is we package Deng with a 1st and a 2nd to rid ourselves and keep Randle along with 2 "stars".

I would be tempted to even add a 2nd Laker pick from 2020 because I would expect us to be a solid playoff team at the very least.

Getting rid of Deng and keeping Randle is certainly way more valuable than two low 1sts. Sure, if they turn into Harts and Kuzmas its a different story but chances are, you can't find gems EVERY year. Stretching Deng and having dead cap for 5 years is borderline maddening.

15. therealdeal

Here's some names near where we're drafting. Interestingly, there's some JC/Nance type replacements.

Anfernee Simons- IMG Academy- 6'4" 183 lbs

Admittedly I don't know a lot about this kid because he's technically in high school still. He's a super senior though so he's eligible for the NBA draft (like Thon Maker). Here is a DraftExpress clip of him that shows some strengths and weaknesses. Honestly he looks like a younger Jordan Clarkson to me.

Khyri Thomas- Creighton- 6'3" 210 lbs.

Strengths: VERY strong defender with a 6'11" wingspan can guard 1-3 in the NBA. Can shoot a little bit. Athletic. Makes the right plays.
    Weaknesses: NBA distance? I'm not sure. Not a lot of guard strengths.

Comparison: Another Josh Hart?

Mitchell Robinson- No College (left WKU)- 7'1" 220 lbs

Strengths: Very athletic. Long Reach. Multi-Talented. Great potential as a rim protector.
    Weaknesses: Needs work in the gym. Long-term project. Not playing in college, how ready is he for the NBA?

Comparison: ceiling: Clint Capela, floor: Hasheem Thabeet

Hamidou Diallo- Kentucky- 6'5"- 188 lbs

Strengths: Athlete. Athlete. Athlete.
    Weaknesses: Not a consistent shooter. Needs work in the fundamentals on every front.

Comparison: Gerald Green

All in all, there's some talent on the bottom end of this draft but it's certainly not like last year's. I'll also say this: the Lakers are way better at this than me. :D

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I been suggesting we trade deng for Powell of Dall...he also has 2 yrs remaining but total of bout $20mill, his stretched cap hit would be about 3.5 mill, we can afford to reup Randle and 2 max and I dont think we'd have to give up multiple 1st, maybe just clev 1st or our 2020 1st and a 2nd.

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Also if we draft based on legitametly getting 2 max, we need to find a lights out shooter (ala korver type), preferrably at one of the guard/forward spots.

18. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...trading a cadaver (Deng) for Powell is highway robbery.

19. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Trade the pick for a solid, veteran, backup PG next Year...?

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

i thought bout this n saw Lin opted in to his 12.5mill contract for 1 more season. IF we can get at least 1 max, i would offer deng/2019 1st/either 1 or both 2nd for Lin. so now we have our vet backup pg and its serves as a useful way to defer that 2nd max space for 2019. we cut 2018 cap by 6mill as well, can use it on a 1yr rentsl (lopez or IT)

abeer3 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.