Draft Thread 2018: LA Has The #25 & #47 Overall Picks... And #39 Now

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by therealdeal, Dec 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    If we don't sign 2 max guys in 2018, there is no reason to trade Deng for anything. Let him age on the bench. We can then either stretch him a year later or trade him since he will be an expiring contract. The only reason to trade Deng in 2018 would be cap room FOR 2018. Otherwise it's too costly to attach assets to him and not do anything with the cap.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

sirronstuff, alam1108, XXIV and 6 others like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Trading him for a useful expiring with just 1 pick isnt a bad idea, also an expiring could also be useful asset later on into the season as well...for example my Lin idea, 12.5mill isnt alot of $, some contender might offer up their pick mid season if they have a major guard injury

abeer3 likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I think Kobe broke Lin forever in LA the way he abused his manhood that day in practice in the youtube clip someone posted. Lin would see 2 Kobes in the rafters and get the shakes every game.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

and yet he still posted respectable #s for the yr......n why such absurd hyperbole? im not a lin fan but peole cant see the bigger picture than just Lin? if all it took was 1 pick for move deng for an expiring it wouldve happened long ago

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  5. LTLakerFan

Absurd hyperbole? I was making a joke. Did you see that video?

6. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

never seen this video n i didnt get your joke, i took it as you really hating Lin...it doesnt have to be lin, was just an example of what we can do to try n move deng n limit our loses

7. LTLakerFan

Bout 4 pages back in the Kobe thread. NSFW language. LOL not suitable for Lin language either.

8. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator - Rookie -

I just watched Trae Young’s highlights against Northwestern where he dropped 26 points and 22 assists.

Good lord watch out. He looks so effortless out there, he may be the next superstar point guard to come into the league since Kyrie Irving (yes in my eyes a much better prospect than Lonzo).

9. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    He looks as short as IT

10. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Whoa. Slow the roll. Much better prospect than Lonzo? Nah.

I've been watching Trae all season and he's been fantastic. I have no idea why mock drafts had him so low at the start of the year. However, I wouldn't say Trae looks better than Lonzo, let alone much better. Lonzo was a prolific college shooter and passer. To say much better than Lonzo is recency bias.

11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    He reminds me on a skinnier Jameer Nelson, but he has great court vision.

Plays low to the ground. Looks like he’ll be a solid pro, but does he have the size/athleticism to be elite in the NBA? Time reveals all.

12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think Steph Curry had this same type of profile, maybe with better shooting, but Trae's no slouch either.

Not saying Trae will turn into Steph, but he's got a good game around him to make up for his size.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    Steph is a dead eye shooter with sick handles.

If Trae puts in that kind of work, no doubt he can succeed. Those highlights show a guy playing within the flow of the game and making his teammates successful. Impossible not to root for a kid like that.

14. therealdeal

Trae has absolutely modeled himself after Steph. There's going to be a wave of kids like this over the next few years.

It remains to be seen if anyone else can have the sort of success Steph has with a similar game. I'm inclined to think no, but Trae is certainly talented. I had him VERY high on my draft board early on.

Cookie and Battle Tested20 like this.
  15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

saw a nice idea (at least for me) for this pick n deng....deng/clev 1st/chi 2nd returned for felicio/Valentine ....felicio has 3 yrs left if stretched over 7yrs its bout 3.2ish mill on our book, giving us plenty of $ for the 2 max n randle, valentine could easily replace brewer as our backup wing, he can still contribute at a high lvl if we put him in good spots.

16. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

25. [​IMG]LAKERS* | BRANDON MCCOY, C, UNLV | FR.
    (Note: Los Angeles owns Cleveland’s top-three protected first-round pick.)

Height: 7'0" | Weight: 250 | Age: 19 | Last: 23

The Lakers have cleared the deck to pursue top free agents this summer, and acquiring this pick from the Cavs at the deadline was somewhat of a coup. They can angle for a future contributor in this spot, and will be in need of frontcourt help given the likelihood of Brook Lopez’s departure. McCoy isn’t NBA-ready, but has the physical ability to become a competent rotational center and has produced impressively for UNLV. The Lakers can put shooting around him and try to turn him into a useful screener and interior defender.

^Off SI...

17. lakerfan2

Bleacher Reports has Daniel Gafford (6'11 / 225 - PF/C) currently going #22. NBADraft.net has him at #34. SI has him at #19. So he's in the range.

From BR:

Here's a highlight video from one game:

Kinda reminds me of a poor man's Gobert, but he's exactly what I'm looking for in terms of a prospect for the team. Good length and mobility for a center, an eye for blocking shots, sets good screens and moves into the right position around the rim for a strong finish. Also love how he fights and puts himself in good position for rebounds.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

i mentioned felicios and dwight powell in the weeks leading up to the deadline. my powell idea rested on the lakers moving randle with deng (and not giving up any picks). that ship has sailed. but the felicios idea can still work.

deng can be effectively "stretched" without actually stretching. i'm sure the lakers will look into this should they get the nod from george and/or lebron.

edit: oh wait, this is the draft thread...

yeah, i can't pay attention until later.

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. therealdeal

I'm not a big fan. He's a project with limited IQ (he's young, so not all his fault) and is all interior. He's fairly athletic near the rim, but he's got a way to go physically. He needs to bend his knees more, work on his leg and butt strength.

If we go big later on, I'd rather go with Jontay Porter assuming he stays in the draft or Mitchell Robinson. Porter has shown some shooting ability and plays a really smart game. Mitchell Robinson is not too different from McCoy, but more talented. He's got a lot of talent, but is his head screwed on straight? Hard to tell.

20. lakerfan2

Just watched one of his better games:

He looks quite slow and bumbly, much like a Roy Hibbert was. He gets pushed around a lot for his size, hands aren't great, I can see myself getting so frustrated watching this guy. He's almost no lift on his jump (doesn't jump much on defense), and lacks explosiveness. I'll pass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.