Dodger Talk

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 1, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

And that's assuming he makes it back to start the year after Tommy John.

If I'm the Dodgers, this summer I go all effing out. I swing for Bryce Harper. I swing for Machado (to stay maybe). Why not go big? They've got the resources and they're making money again.

TIME likes this.
  2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Everything seems to be breaking Magic's way lately. :Magic Brows:

3. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Feels like the Lakers trying to get LBJ and PG all over again. Meanwhile, Nolan Arenado is Kawhi.

4. therealdeal

Didn't include Lux. Diaz is legit, but the rest of these guys don't mean much to me. No cash going out though is interesting. I wonder if the Dodgers do their best now to flip Forsythe and a prospect for a bullpen piece.

And STILL... Machado! Even if it's a rental, that's a magical pickup. This offense is as intense as anyone in the league's now.

Jaguar likes this.
  5. therealdeal

6. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Machado now hitting .667 in the NL.

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  7. therealdeal

Very solid opening. I watched about 90% of the game and they caught Manny talking a little too much, but his at bats were great. He was probably more than a little bit giddy. He has a tremendous feel for what's coming. He's rarely fooled. It really reminds me of what Turner looked like last year, but in a younger, stronger body.

Bryant and TIME like this.
  8. Bryant

It's crazy how much fear he brought during the first game, I haven't seen that in a Dodgers batter for a while. The Brewers pitched around him often and wanted no part of him. The second game though, that was the worst game I've seen Max play and they wasted another decent outing by Kershaw.

Recent rumors has Forsythe leaving by Tuesday and talking to the Orioles for Britton.

therealdeal likes this.
  9. therealdeal

I'd be very happy to move Forsythe. He's been a busted experiment.

Machado is as advertised. Good at bats, good production, and that defense has been great already.

I dont have strong feelings towards Britton, but I'd like to get some kind of bullpen help for sure.

10. Bryant

What a game so far today, 11 runs by the 5th inning.

Machado has been very good defensively at SS; he's made some great plays in today's game.

therealdeal likes this.
  11. therealdeal

So Turner goes to the DL and Machado takes his place at 3rd. Taylor to SS and they've brought back Verdugo for the OF.

I honestly can't imagine the Dodgers so easily letting Machado walk at the end of the season. I know Machado has visions of the Yankees and the Dodgers don't like spending money, but how do you let a star in his prime walk? Figure out the damn rotation spots when you have to, but Machado could very well be better than any player we have that they covet at their positions right now. Machado could be better than Seager. He could be better than Turner. I love the team camaraderie we've built, but Machado is Machado. This isn't Yu Darvish at 30 years old. This is Manny Machado, 2x Gold Glove winner who hits .300+ with 30 HRs and plays impeccable defense.

TIME and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  12. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

13. Bryant

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...mors-dodgers-have-called-about-nationals-star

:ShaqOh2:

Would be better to trade for some elite relief pitching though. Nationals have Kelvin Herrera and other elite relief pitchers.

lakerfan2 likes this.
  14. therealdeal

That guy is apparently wrong a lot, but it's interesting.

I told a buddy who covers the team I'd do something like Puig, Forsythe, Verdugo, and a top 5 prospect in our farm for Harper and Herrera.

Verdugo meanwhile has been fantastic and is apparently on the verge of being sent back down again for Puig.

15. Bryant

I think that's a reasonable offer for both of them, but there is risk involved. Harper's been under the microscope with his attitude and effort, and the risk is that he'll continue having his mediocre season by his standards. The hope is that he'd try harder for a contending team. I think the Yankees in particular would go crazy after him, especially after losing Judge for 3 weeks with a broken wrist.

I feel bad for Verdugo because he's done great during his time up. It sucks that Forsythe gets to survive at the expense of demoting him to bring Puig back. Verdugo will definitely be back up when rosters expand in September.

16. therealdeal

Verdugo to me looked like a completely different player than last year. Last year he was a baby deer in headlights. I could barely see the bones of a competent player. This year he's looked like a major leaguer. He has patient at-bats, great focus, good defense and effort, good path running, and just a very good feel for the game. Honestly, I'd rather he be up than Puig right now.

It'll be interesting to see where we go this winter. I know the team is geared up to add a major piece and for a long time I thought that'd be Harper, but now with Machado in hand and Harper "struggling" while we have great OF production, I'd rather keep Manny. I know someone will throw 10/350 at him or something, and hopefully we give him a competitive offer aa well. He's a fantastic player in his prime, what better time is there to spend?? Are we never going to spend on someone? If it's not now, it's never and I really, really hope it's not never.

Slide Seager to 2nd, Machado stays at SS, and Turner at 3rd. Bellinger plays either CF or 1st while Muncy or Taylor slides into the lineup depending on who is hot. Kemp, Puig, Pederson, and Verdugo make up the other outfield rotation. Kike off the bench. Can you fathom a lineup of:

Taylor/Seager/Machado/Turner/Kemp/Bellinger/Puig/Barnes or Ruiz

Or

Pederson/Seager/Machado/Kemp/Turner/Bellinger/Muncy/Verdugo/Barnes or Ruiz?

I mean where do you rest?? From 2-7 can hit 20-30 HRs every year. You'll get a working at-bat from Machado, Turner, Kemp, and Muncy every single time. We'd run teams into the ground.

Bryant likes this.
  17. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

This morning I cursed the high heavens when I sat down with my breakfast to watch the Dodgers play the braves only to find out it was a blackout game. I have DirecTV, but for some reason thought a TNT broadcasted Dodgers game wouldn’t be blacked out. Mad is an understatement.

But then I saw that we almost got no hit. Glad I didn’t see that crap. You lose again Sportsnet LA. Haa

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  18. therealdeal

19. therealdeal

20. therealdeal

Dozier is who I wanted a couple years ago instead of Forsythe so I'm glad they finally got there. He's an upgrade over Forsythe, although not as great an upgrade as we'd probably like. Dozier is going to give us very good defense and a hell of a lot more power. The big problem with Forsythe is he can't hit well and even when he makes contact it's usually weak. Dozier has 16 HRs this year.

In fact, we've now got crazy power from the majority of our daily lineup.

1B- Muncy (24 HRs)
    2B- Dozier (16 HRs)
    3B- Machado (26 HRs)
    C- Grandal (17 HRs)
    LF- Kemp (17 HRs)
    CF- Bellinger (17 HRs)

UTL- Hernandez (17 HRs)
    SS- Taylor (12 HRs)
    RF- Puig (12 HRs)
    OF- Pederson (14 HRs)

Turner has been banged up, but if he can heal up that gives us another potential power bat (at least a good at-bat).

Almost as importantly, it gives us tremendous defense through the infield as well. Machado and Dozier are obviously high-to-elite quality defenders. Taylor, Hernandez, Turner, and Bellinger when he plays 1B are all great as well. The weak links are probably Kemp and Grandal and they're passable defenders. This team should have what it needs to compete offensively.

The bullpen... that's another story. I actually think they're better than people assume, but we could really use another real set-up man for Jansen.