Dodger Talk

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 1, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think they'll only spend on a bullpen arm, but we just saw the limit they won't cross is 10 million for Morrow so my hopes aren't even high on that front.

The biggest reason we couldn't trade for Stanton is money? With this FO that should never be an issue. It's insulting to me honestly.

The Dodgers will probably win the division again, but get bounced early in the playoffs. They'll have successfully squandered Kershaw's best years (and maybe give him up as a FA). We'll probably win 90-ish games if we stay healthy.

I don't see Verdugo being much of anything. I don't see Taylor having the same success. I could easily see our rotation implode. I hate standing pat as a franchise when you have momentum to do better.

2. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

We also have Walker Buehler coming up as well. Doc said he will be a starter this upcoming season and I think he's the most likely prospect to succeed.

What do you think about going for the other Marlins outfielders real? Ozuna and Yelich (another player who grew up in LA) looks like they'll be on the market.

3. therealdeal

I'm all for it. I want to improve and Ozuna and Yelich are better than our CFs are right now. Last I'd heard they were trying to sell Ozuna with a contract. I'll take the contract back as well and they can have Verdugo. That kid didn't impress me a whole lot.

It sounds like they won't be spending on a bullpen arm, they'll be bargain hunting there. Interestingly they're also still talking to Darvish. I'd like to keep Darvish around despite what happened in the World Series, but he'd have to take significantly less than expected to stay here.

4. therealdeal

Dodgers trade Adrian Gonzalez, Scott Kazmir, Brandon McCarthy, Charlie Culberson, and 4 million to the Braves for Matt Kemp. They save a ton of money.

I can't explain how angry this makes me knowing they could have done this sooner and gotten Stanton.

5. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

They should have signed Morrow and I’m pissed that they didn’t. Their 7th-9th innings would have been wrapped up for a couple years, especially considering Maeda.

I’ll be watching Yankee games just to see Stanton and Judge. That’s 100homers right there.

6. Bryant

We would've had to dump Kemp somewhere (I believe they are trying to do this right now) as I doubt the Marlins want to take him. It looks like they are adamant in trying to reset the luxury tax penalties to save money in the future and to be big players for Harper, Machado, and...Bumgarner.

This is reminiscent of preparing for that 2010 NBA free agency when LBJ, Wade, and Bosh teamed up.

7. therealdeal

Then they better get those guys, that's all I can say. They're more or less punting on 2018 in terms of improving. They could still have Stanton and Kemp (although I expect Kemp to move). They've now got a good 40 million to spend before the hit the luxury tax levels. They could have done this and still had some money left to spend. Instead they passed on Stanton and I'm extremely unhappy with that prospect. They had better sign Harper. That's all I can say. If they did this, passed on Stanton, and don't get a big name next summer I'm going to be furious. I hate punting when you have a great team and that's what we're doing all for a shot at something that may not work.

This time next year we better have Harper, we better keep Kershaw, and I'll be disappointed if we don't grab another arm or two as well (Shields, Kimbrel, Andrew Miller).

All that said, we now have enough money to keep Darvish and we honestly need to do it. Without the "depth" that the FO was so proud of in McCarthy and Kazmir, we need quality starters again. I know Darvish's last two games left a sour taste for everyone, but I'd rather have him than relying on Buehler or Urias to make the leap next season. I don't think we can count on a Kershaw/Hill/Wood/Ryu/Maeda lineup all year to the tune of 100 wins again. At least two of those guys are serious injury risks, but they're all at least moderate injury risks.

Re-signing Yu would be my priority now. Then find someone to take some of Kemp's money, it doesn't have to be much. Maybe you can roll into 2019 with:

C- Barnes
    1B- Bellinger
    2B- Forsythe
    3B- Turner
    SS- Seager
    LF- Verdugo
    C- Taylor
    RF- Harper

Pitchers: Kershaw, Darvish, Shields, Wood, Hill, Maeda.

8. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Has Darvish figured out how not to tip his pitches.

:Tabarnak:

9. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

The prospect of not getting Stanton to hold out with the plan to get Harper feels eerily like the Lakers holding out for the big free agent next season, which was done for several years in a row to no avail. Dodgers need to deliver.

10. therealdeal

The difference is the Dodgers are actually good so attracting a FA won't be as difficult. They've also got deep ties to Harper in their FO so I'm guessing he's been their target all along.

It does feel very similar though. I wouldn't be surprised if this time next year Harper/Kershaw are on the Dodgers and LeBron and/or Paul George is on the Lakers.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Dodger's won't be best team money can buy

......and a look at their thinking not that it will make anyone any happier. Draft pick dropping 10 places for cap offenders at a certain level factoring in too for whatever that's worth. Probably not much if trying to win "now" while we have the horses.

https://www.pressreader.com/usa/los-angeles-times/20171220/282011852720173

12. therealdeal

Yep. I understand the move, but I don't have to agree with it. The draft pick part is the only thing that truly stands out to me. Sliding in the draft is a tangible problem. If it's a question of money, I don't want to hear it. This is one of the most profitable teams in the world and when they're successful, they're going to make a crazy amount of money.

All that said, it's forgiven (like the Lakers) if you get the star FA.

13. Bryant

Another wish list reliever is gone...but maybe we can buy low on him? It's only 6 months.

14. therealdeal

Could be less. There was a report he's got a small tear in his Achilles, not a full one or a break. He could be back in 4-5 months.

The Orioles are impossible to trade with... I'd take a look next winter as a FA.

15. Bryant

Looks like we got a Britton alternative, Scott Alexander.

TIME, LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  16. therealdeal

I honestly don't know much about him, but my friends tell me he's really good and cheap for a long time. I have no attachment to the other kids, so I'm fine with the move.

Weird that we haven't moved Kemp yet though.

17. Bryant

Seems like the Lakers and Dodgers' next summer are going to be similar. Get the stars (LBJ, PG, Harper, Machado) or bust.

therealdeal likes this.
  18. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Meh, maybe he’ll tip his pitches to us next playoffs.

19. therealdeal

I liked Darvish a lot and I thought the FO had finally figured things out and understood that championship windows aren't open forever... I'm afraid that's not true.

However, they did earn a bit of my goodwill back by making the move in the first place. They have a plan to go get Harper next winter. They better do it. If they fail to do that and they wasted the best years of Clayton Kershaw, I'll never forgive this franchise.

Buehler and Urias better be back and ready to go. Darvish may have choked in the playoffs, but our rotation is certainly weaker without him.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  20. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

After the World Series loss I had mixed feelings about Darvish. I respected the fact that he took blame for the loss and it really seemed like he wanted to come back and redeem himself. Ultimately in the end I believe it came down to the money and the Dodgers just weren't willing to get into the luxury tax threshold to bring him back. Now Darvish will be playing for the Cubs, a team we've met in the NLCS the past couple years.