Dodger Talk

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 1, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I hear they're interested in Bellinger but I haven't heard they're demanding Bellinger in a trade. We certainly aren't giving up Bellinger for just Kinsler.

There was also a rumor about a massive Sale/Frazier trade where we send them all of our prospects. I doubt it happens, but it went around last night.

2. therealdeal

Rich Hill back on the team for 3/48 million. I keep hearing this is a huge win, but I'm not totally convinced.

I'd still like more pitching and I'm interested to see what we do with 2nd. Dozier's name won't go away.

Rumor is we're also looking to move Kazmir possibly to Seattle.

Other rumors:
    - Jansen/Dodgers still trying to make something work, but Dodgers very hesitant to spend the requisite 70-80 million dollars it'll take.
    - Turner/Dodgers VERY interested in reunion, but still apart on deal.

3. therealdeal

Most recent rumor: we're going to let go of Jansen because the price tag is too steep (likely 5/80+ million).

Most recent rumor: we're going to bring back Justin Turner for something like 5/85ish million.

What'll upset me the most is seeing Wade Davis traded for JUST Jorge Soler while we let Jansen walk out the door. Meanwhile, no traction on a 2nd baseman, no bullpen depth added, no starters upgraded, no outfield bats added...

So far not a great summer.

4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

5. therealdeal

Nice piece. A little more complimentary of the back end kids than I would be, but definitely the Dodgers have some great prospects coming up. I'm looking forward to what Bellinger can do. I like De Leon a lot. Austin Barnes is our official backup Center right now behind Yasmani. The other names I'm not terribly familiar with but I've heard good things.

To the Dodgers credit, they're finally doing what I've been asking for all along: spending the money they have AND building the farm. I wouldn't have invested this much money in Kazmir and McCarthy and I would have spent on Greinke, but I get it. They're also still dealing with some older contracts as well.

The next step this summer after Turner is to get a 2nd baseman. I want Kinsler, but Dozier is fine too. Forsythe is a backup to those two. I only want one of Utley or Kike back this year.

6. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

I see Mozgov and Justin Turner got the same deal, 4 years $64 million LOL

7. LTLakerFan

I'm always intrigued when I hear there's a "starting" pitcher than can bring it routinely around 100 mph. Not a reliever. LOL. Remember reading that somewhere about one of our almost ready pitching prospects. Hard to stay on top of though, and give a crap about your organization when they haven't been available on local TV in 3 f****** years. Don't remember offhand which kid this is.

Anyone got any "WOW" anecdotes or good info on whoever it is?

8. therealdeal

The name is Yadier Alvarez. He's 20 years old and able to hit 100 mph pretty regularly. Realistically though his fastball is more like 96 mph, but he can crank up if he needs to. He's got a curve ball and a power fastball. He's got a slider and a change-up he's working on, but they're not ready yet.

What I understand is he's got a lot of maturing to do and he's still learning ball placement. He's only 20 and he doesn't have the attention to detail he needs to be a major leaguer just yet.

Great, great upside, but a long way to go as a reliever let alone a starter.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  9. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Fangraphs recently ranked Yadier Alvarez as our #1 prospect. There must be a lot to believe in for being that young and having limited professional innings on his resume.

Then again, there's a reason we passed up on Yoan Moncada (#1 prospect in all of MLB) to get Alvarez (along with Yusniel Diaz, Starling Heredia, and a few others). That and Alvarez can throw 100mph with the greatest of ease.

Another beat writer has Jose De Leon as our #1 prospect, so that kind of gives me pause on trading him in a package for Dozier. I'd still do the trade to balance out our roster and directly fill a need (plus we have starting pitching depth to replace those innings), but I do understand we could potentially be giving away a stud pitcher and potential all-star if he can keep the home run ball at bay.

Now sources are saying, "Something should happen within 48 hours!" in regards to the Dozier trade rumors. Yes, instantly not believable, BUT it's from the guy who first reported both the Jansen and Turner signings.

So.....

10. therealdeal

I'd definitely trade De Leon for Dozier. I'd include some low-level prospect down the line too if we had to. I'm not 100% into Dozier, but De Leon isn't the end-all-be-all for me. We've got Urias and we've still got top prospects too. Don't forget Bellinger.

I'm also still looking at what we're doing about our bullpen. I'm also not entirely satisfied with our outfield.

11. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

I think Joc will put together another great season, so CF is set.

Toles is a good hitter, once a highly ranked prospect, but fell out of favor for behavioral issues, but now that he's over it and showed he could hit last year, I'm hoping for good things from him. Plus he has a great arm, maybe just as good as Puig's or better. Unfortunately, he hasn't shown he can hit lefties, so hopefully SVS gets healthy again or Darin Ruf (who can't do much else but destroy lefties) can contribute in that regard.

Puig is always the wild card, but as long as he continues to play solid defense and can hit .280 with 18 homers (and obviously stay healthy), I think we are set in RF.

Ethier would be a great pinch hitter, or occasionally platoon to face righties.

Trayce Thompson I'm not betting anything on. He probably won't be ready when the season begins, and is only useful to dispel Joc some innings or as an emergency backup.

12. therealdeal

De Leon for Forsythe is official.

I'm okay with it. I like De Leon quite a lot, but Forsythe is good and we needed an improvement at 2nd. Experts are approaching this as "the Dodgers don't give up elite prospects so De Leon must not be that good", but I'm not sure I agree with that. We'll see I guess, but I think De Leon will be a decent starter.

13. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Dodgers got Sergio Romo as a setup man. Not in his prime anymore, but still a solid pro with that wicked Frisbee slider.

TIME likes this.
  14. therealdeal

I hate him and I wish he wasn't on my team.

:D

15. LTLakerFan

acetabulum7 and TIME like this.
  16. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Word has it that there may have been some concern with his health. He had a couple injuries last year and just recovered from a recent back issue.

17. acetabulum7

acetabulum7 - Rookie -

Spring games beginning!!!

Rich Hill's curveball is working. No more blisters. Praise be.

Hatcher will be Hatcher though, lol.

And what about Bellinger and Verdugo going back to back? Impressive, even if against an NRI guy.

18. therealdeal

They've been hyping Bellinger a ton. I haven't been able to watch any games for obvious reasons... but apparently we're doing pretty well.

19. LTLakerFan

Nothing's changed yet. We're looking at 3rd year in a row no Dodgers on the rest of the major carriers? Will they really do that?

20. therealdeal

Fourth LT. This is going on longer than the one that made the Yankees infamous and nothing substantial is changing. Dodgers aren't giving up money and Spectrum is still content to not get major advertising money back and carriers are all very content not to cover an overpriced station.

I will absolutely never forgive the franchise for this... which is why pirating their station feels so good.