Dodger Talk

Discussion in 'Other Sports Discussion' started by TIME, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Roberts again with the questionable bullpen usage. Ride out Hill for the 7th! Sick and tired of seeing Ryan "Yu Darvish" Madson blow things up and the first reliever he puts out there.

Kenley and giving up world series home runs...What a great combo :Woozyshaq:

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Kenney seems on late side of his prime. Heater down in velocity as well.

3. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    We lose the world series it is on Roberts bringing in Madsen.

I have no idea why the fk you bring him in AT ALL. He has given up EVERY F'n run on base.

4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

To me, this series is on Kenley. I know he's not 100% and has a serious heart condition, but if he's on the mound he has to perform and he's now blown two leads in the World Series.

TIME likes this.
  5. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Alexander - Madson - Jansen - Maeda. They all choked.

Unbelievable lack of support for Rich Hill. That was a won game. It's over now.

Hope to see some big bullpen changes next year.

therealdeal likes this.
  6. therealdeal

I'm already looking at the winter acquisitions.

I can understand letting Machado walk even if I disagree with it.

But if that happens, they better land Harper. They said before the season that they were more or less punting to avoid penalties. Well they made it back to the World Series on a punt but this winter it's time to f***ing come through. No excuses, no talking, just get it done.

In an ideal world we go out and get Eovaldi, Harper, and keep Kershaw, Ryu, while maybe adding another starter. If it were me, I'd pay Machado too. He hasn't played like an MVP here but he's a top 5 player in his prime and you don't just let those guys walk. I love Seager but he's a guy with two major surgeries. Are we sure he'll ever be the same? And he's not the defender that Machado is even when he's healthy.

This series is over, but our winter needs to be the big prize.

TIME and Bryant like this.
  7. Bryant

I like your anti jinx Real!

Might be very very unlikely, but everyone discounted the cubs 2 years ago when they were down 3-1!

I mentioned (before the playoffs began) that the bullpen was shaky and that Kersh and Kenley were struggling and needed to pitch better.

They were great in the NLDS and NLCS, but yes, they have been exposed here. I feel that Roberts does a poor job in putting them in situations to succeed.

How can anyone keep putting in Madson in these situations? If he has going to use Kenley in the 8th, just use Baez in the 7th. It’s like Luke putting in KCP instead of LeBron to help us come back from a 15 pt lead.

He keeps on trying to do the same things over and over again and thinks it’s going to work at some point.

therealdeal and TIME like this.
  8. Bryant

Guess who chimed in:

:Magicwow4:

Savory Griddles, therealdeal and TIME like this.
  9. LTLakerFan

Donald's a Dodger fan? I've always li ...ll...luh...laa .... never mind.

:SadPau2:

10. Bryant

I think he's a NY Yankees fan LT, he wants the Sox to lose! :Laugh:

LTLakerFan and therealdeal like this.
  11. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Translation: "Dave. You're fired."

12. Bryant

Boston wins with a score of 5-1, which is ironically the same score as last year's game 7.

An anticlimatic ending to a season that contained a lot of highs and lows. Considering how this team started off 10 games below .500, it's been amazing that we were able to get here again.

There needs to be reflection from the team, Roberts, and the management about how this series unfolded. As much as we like to blame one person, as some of us have mentioned, both hitting and pitching need work. We cannot expect to win solely by going with the launch angle/HR ball. I think we might've had one of the lowest batting averages of a team in the WS, there were just way too many pop ups and strike outs and the lack of good hitting approaches when there was RISP. Pitching and the relievers, I've lamented enough about.

This team has a great future and a future star in Seager in coming back. We got the money to strengthen in the offseason.

I love spending time with you guys talking about the Dodgers. We'll come back next year and get the show rolling again!

TIME, LTLakerFan, revgen and 2 others like this.
  13. therealdeal

Like I said: spend the money. No excuses, no words, just go out and get the players.

I don't mind Roberts, but I do agree that he routinely set up his relievers to fail. I also agree they need to rethink the offensive approach. It's not just about swinging for the fences, but the team needs to approach each at bat with urgency. So damn often our hitters would take a strike, swing at a 2nd pitch, and now we're down 0-2 right away. Is that on our player scouts? Our hitting coach? Our head coach? Someone needs to be addressed regarding our approach.

Can we get Harper (although he is another swinger/strikeout guy)? Are we relying on Seager coming back fully healthy? Can we spend on arms please? And I don't mean the McCarthys and the Kazmirs, I mean the Greinkes and the Prices. We continually have passed on those deals and it's bitten us in the ***.

TIME, Bryant and revgen like this.
  14. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I don’t want Machado back.

Conflicted on Kershaw. I’d love him as our #2, but no way he signs for that role.

Can’t rely on the bullpen. That’s the top priority and the main difference in last year going 7 and this year almost being a sweep.

15. therealdeal

I don't particularly like Machado, but I'm not of the mind that we can afford to just let guys with his talent level walk in their primes. That's going to hurt. A lot. Especially since we have no idea what Seager will look like coming back.

Yasmani is honestly the best Catcher available. I probably try to keep him for a couple more years. Get rid of Barnes. I get that he's versatile, but he's also a wasted at-bat.

I'm going HARD after Harper and Machado since they're both Superstar talents at just 26 years old. Those are the kinds of guys I can hand a 8-10 year contract and feel pretty comfortable about it. Sure the 10th year could look rough, but I've got a star locked up in his prime.

Give me Kershaw back, Eovaldi, Ryu back. I'd pay for 3-4 years of Price, Lance Lynn, Dallas Kuechel.

Give me Joe Kelly, Brad Bach, Adam Ottavino, even Andrew Miller, Zach Britton, anything. Just give me a some arm talent.

I'd also consider packaging some of our OF talent for a pitcher. See what it'd take to get deGrom. See if Greinke is available. See if we can get Sonny Gray even though he's struggled, maybe we can get something else too for taking on the salary.

Get crazy. Go nuts. Spend the money and put out the best f***ing team we could possible field.

16. LTLakerFan

Fix the ******* TV deal so the other 3/4 of L.A. can see them on TV.

17. therealdeal

Just go to reddit.com/r/mlbstreams

Every game for free. Put an adblocker on your browser and it's golden.

Bryant and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Does anyone else get those questionable or likely fake need to update Flash messages on those sites? I always seem to and have read so much about that one being malware.

19. Bryant

No, I don't see anything with the adblocker. Might get a popup after clicking on the video, but they usually go away.

Meanwhile, good news:

Very happy we are bringing Freese back. He even took a paycut to re-sign with us!

As for free agent targets, Machado is someone that I take a hard pass on. Amazing talent and a major reason why we got back to the WS, but his questionable attitude and effort despite him being in a contract year makes me uncomfortable in giving him a massive contract. He said he wasn't "Johnny hustle" as his explanation for not running the bases hard. There's a chance he just becomes the next Hanley Ramirez and gets paid and coasts the season. I do look forward to seeing how his free agency ends up. I think he won't get the money he's looking for.

The other big target in this class, Harper, I'm all for going all in on. Will probably result in trading Joc or someone due to an overcrowded outfield.

Eovaldi is someone that I'd like the team to target. He was very good for the Red Sox and he's been able to develop good secondary pitches to pair with that high 90's fastball. I do think we have quite a few options to start though (Hill, Maeda, Buehler, Urias, and Kershaw and Ryu if re-signed).

Team definitely needs to adjust the bargain bin and rejuvenation approach towards the bullpen. It is risky to blow a ton of $$$ on relievers (just ask the Rockies), but I think a few quality additions would work well. Ottavino, Joe Kelly look interesting to me.

The areas in which the team should upgrade is Catcher and 2B. I think targeting Realmuto should be a big priority. Whit Merrifield of the Royals looks like an interesting target for 2B, or they can sign DJ LaMahieu.

TIME and therealdeal like this.
  20. therealdeal

Yes cancel from any popups you get from those sites. There's never any actual problem, its just a popup. If you cancel from everything it'll work perfectly fine.

LTLakerFan likes this.