DeMarcus Cousins Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by jordan-esque, Jul 6, 2019.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

If Rob had any creativity ..... doubtful. :( :eek: ;)

2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

He dont haha.

Remember everybody other than Green and Caruso that signed this summer has an out after next year (Kcp, Av, McGee, Rondo - player opt outs; Boogie, Daniels, Dudz - expiring; Cook - partially guaranteed).

With Bron, AD (after opt out and 30% max caphold), Green, Kuz, Caruso, THT, 2020 1st round pick, Deng's dead hit, Cook's 1m guaranteed cap hit and 6 incomplete roster charges, we're looking at roughly 6m in cap space to offer Boogie.

So instead of relying on all that player turnover, its better just to offer Boog the full non-tax payer MLE of about 4yrs/44m and hope that it sticks.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  3. LTLakerFan

Do any Bird rights begin to accumulate with this first low contract and then the first year or two going forward with MLE?

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  4. vasashi17

I always thought it was odd that we renounced Jules to only give all that K to Rondo. I thought it was for sure going to go to Boog.

Had we signed him last year, we would have earned his early bird with the contract we gave him this summer. Essentially his 3.5m contract would have carried a no-trade clause.

But since this is his first signing with us, his contract can be traded without his consent this season and we won't earn his early bird till his second contract with us.

SFGOLDRUSHER and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

If we were to win it this year or have a great year that just missed due to health or out of our control stuff, and Boogie would be willing to take one more year at MLE for 10M, does that do anything for him getting higher with us having then early Bird rights for his 3rd season?

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  6. vasashi17

Yep.

So next summer we offer the ntmle of 10m. Then the next summer using early bird we can offer up to 17.5m (175% of previous contract. Then the next summer we got his full bird rights and can offer him up to his true 35% max of 46.6m (based on 133m salary cap in 2022/23).

But with his injuries, I'm not sure Boog would constantly take 1 yr deals with us.

abeer3, SFGOLDRUSHER and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. LTLakerFan

Let's hope he LOVES being a BIG 3 dominant front line with LeBron and AD and living his dream winning rings on the L.A. Lakers. And takes out a big insurance policy.

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  8. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    If he helps us win a championship and decides to the leave for the money I wouldn't be mad at him.

tada, lakerjones, Cookie and 4 others like this.
  9. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

...looking forward to see Cousins lay picks on the likes of Beverly, Paul et all. Just stay set big man not that gaffe in Game 5. :)

10. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

You know, with all the excitement surrounding the AD presser today, I can't help but feeling like Boogie deserves a little bit more fanfare than he's getting. I know he's not getting paid much, and there are still a number of unknowns surrounding his physical health, but it's still a pretty big deal that he's here. I think giving him a press conference of his own is really the least they could do.

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

He will get it if he continues to do what he is doing in getting in shape. If he plays like he was when he was healthy, DeMarcus is the 3rd star. He is a major problem on a team like this. The thing I like the most is AD loves him and he loves AD. That right there is a quality we can't measure. Vogel has some sharp knives in the kitchen, let's hope he can cut things up the right way.

Savory Griddles, TIME, OmarE and 7 others like this.
  12. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Agree with all of this. But in the meantime, a presser for him would be nice.

Toklat, SFGOLDRUSHER and Cookie like this.
  13. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

I agree. Boggie is going to be a big part of our team. He should be given the same star treatment.

14. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Right now he's all about that action boss like LeBron last year&I'm more than good with that.

Cousins w/his 2M+ deal is my low key pre season jump off MVP.
    That is so huge to take that type of money,I know we all know this, the entire season could depend on Cousins' production-presence.

Perfect situation for him playing next to AD,LeBron&the old wise dog Rondo keeping him hungry/motivated especially when McGee will be digging into "his" minutes.

God knows how much small ball w/AD at the 5 we'll play when he was straight up it's not his cup of tea and Cousins can stretch the floor.
    Boogie fantasy stock up.

D-Fish Man likes this.
  15. Toklat

Toklat - Lakers 6th Man -

With our big three we are unguardable. If you just break those three down it spells lots of Cookie Doom.. which I'm looking forward to. All big, strong, talented, unselfish players that want to win. In a 7 game series there is not a single team to match them. DMC is a superstar talent. I've got him right in there with LBJ and AD.

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I think for most of us he'll have to prove that first. He hasn't been himself since the injury, but hopefully you're right. We have a solid Center rotation it appears right now.

SFGOLDRUSHER and LTLakerFan like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

So it seems to me that toward that end these things should happen, assuming Boogie can get back to 80% or more of what he used to be:

Lakers pay for huge insurance policy on career ending or basketball debilitating injury for him these next 2 years. Is this even a thing?

Fans give him mad love at home and on the road.

Win a ring this year.

Hook Boogie up with some really good product endorsements where hopefully he's got some personality and presence along the tone of he's a great guy but don't you dare mess with him regarding how much he loves your product. That engaging demeanor can turn to the menacing scowl in an instant. Something like that or anything else. But high concept and production value. Make the man some serious money on the side to help offset what he is losing initially.

If he gets back to that 80% or higher, definitely there's your 2 superstars post LeBron that clippersnake would have been with AD, and whatever Kuz gives you toward a Big 3 even.

[​IMG]

18. vasashi17

^^^I like it!

Boog is about to be 29y/o and still on his prime. He has the ability to stretch the floor and still be a bruiser. Bron/AD/Boogie are a frontline mismatch nightmare for the league.

I hope Boog isn't a won & done scenario (like Kawhronto was). Winning a ring hopefully encourages Boog to run it back with us, even if it's at a lower number for him.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  19. LTLakerFan

@Mr. Rambis ..... are product endorsements within the scope of what AEG can help with in attempts to land and keep desirable players focused on Lakers careers?

SFGOLDRUSHER likes this.
  20. jlkr

jlkr - Rookie -

old fart
    I think he's going to be about cashing in next year. Which he can if he does well enough this season and of course we are counting on that motivated guy to help the team to the promised land. I won't begrudge him the immediate payday the Lakers cannot give him.

SFGOLDRUSHER, tada and Cookie like this.