D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

eh, there's no guarantee russell would still be here. if he had been moved for a useful veteran player, we'd probably have been just as good or better this year, albeit not a big player on the FA market. which may not end up mattering. if we get to a 2019 plan, we're basically at the point where the mozdeng contracts really didn't cost us much.

i've just seen cap space either unused or used poorly much more often than it's used to transform a team into a contender.

trades for talent are generally the way, unless you get lucky in the draft and the the #1 overall pick in a tim duncan draft.

scnottaken likes this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Impressive how you continue to hate on what so far in terms of players actually obtained and on the floor this year with the flexibility and cap space ready and waiting .... has been a perfectly executed plan with the least painful of our players having been used so far to get to this point.

3. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i just don't think it was a well-executed plan.

honestly--and it's fine if you don't believe this--i think plan A was to get george last summer, using the DLO trade as leverage. but it backfired, so it became clearly about 2018. then as the year has worn on, it's become about long-term flexibility. in other words, we could be down to plan c or d really quickly here.

and i'm not sure why people keep pointing to this as a "we want DLO back" or worse, "we want mozgov back" argument. it's really simple: don't trade for cap space unless you have an immediate plan to use it. too much is left to chance when you trade for cap flexibility a full year in advance.

scnottaken likes this.
  4. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Thats the only part I disagree with for a simple reason: We wouldn't know if we could "dump" Mozgov with Russell this year in case PG or LeBron decide to join the Lakers.

It is fair to say that Russell's value has not gone up, if not gone down. And Mozgov's value is even less than it was a year of benching would have caused. The Nets were ready to accept a bad contract for talent and youth. If the Deal with the Lakers hadn't gone through, they might have pulled another trade and would have no interest 12 months later.

So it is not that simple to say don't waste talent if you have no plan with the cap space. You get the opportunity to make a trade you think favors you, you do it and worry about the ramifications later.

This is like saying don't sign a max contract player if you can't contend. Well there has to be a starting point where you believe in something. In the NBA usually the chips don't all fall in line in one summer (Miami, Boston etc. be the exception). It takes years if building. There is a reason more franchises have never won anything after 50 years. Its not simple to get lucky but thats what it takes to win it all.

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

it's saying that cap space isn't a plan. or at least not a good one. ask, like, every team that's ever tried it except two.

the grand irony in this debate is that the patient building approach was not to trade for cap space this year. it was to wait out the bad contracts while evaluating the young talent. the russell trade really only bought us one year. after that, moz and deng are expirings that are very easily moved. this is why i've maintained that the lack of a splash this summer is the nail in the coffin on this debate.

it's pretty rich for the FO (or proponents of their plan) to preach patience when they've now jettisoned three talented young players for 2018 cap space. if that market dries up--which is really easy when it's only like, three players deep--you're onto the 2019 plan. almost out of necessity.

thus, i was on board with the DLO trade if it was meant to be followed by a second trade for george the next month. that would have been the impatient rebuild approach. instead we got this middle of the road thing--except not really. it's only middle of the road now, after the FO lost confidence it was going to sign two max guys this summer.

as for the main point, which i believe can be read as: how can superman save you if you haven't saved him a seat? i think we've seen other teams manage this feat in the past few years. in fact, it's almost distressing how easy it has been for players to force their way where they want to play. i'll keep citing the chris paul trade until i'm blue in the face--NOBODY would have predicted that the clips accept that deal, even a few days before it happened. i still remember when GS came out of nowhere to join the dwight howard sweepstakes while the other teams that had planned their cap space for years were left on the sidelines.

again, we'll see what happens, but i'll never be on board for cap space plans.

scnottaken likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

.... as in yeah you'll have some crow as promised with even one "star" signed with the cap space and (all around excellently executed plan at that point) .... but you'll still maintain it was a bad plan. Got it I guess. Bizarre to me now with what actually took place this year and what we put on the floor with the cap space and flexibility attained .... and will be even more so to me at that point.

Please at least hold off on capping BI and Kuzma's combined impact together career ceilings being lower than Kawhi Leonard's individual impact until they have at least one more year with the team in the bag. Still leaving them 3 and 4 years of further improvement age wise to where he is now. Over the top with what they've shown already.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  7. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    @abeer

I see where you are coming from. With that said...the George thing to LA is different to all other FA chasings the Buss/Mitch era produced. George even admitted he wanted to join the Lakers and still says its a possibility. To me, that is not comparable to Melo or Aldridge who were never really fond of joining the Lakers. Howard was obviously unhappy and the only argument to keep him was money. Gasol had been on the chopping block for ages and I was happy we didn't bring him back either.

If there was ever a star player in the NBA that we had a fair and realistic chance to sign it has to be Paul George.

8. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    There’s only misery in even attempting to suggest that the trade wasn’t amazing, abeer, at least on this site. Give it up.

scnottaken, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  9. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Did he improve at all? Statistically, you can see some. But you might want to watch him before claiming what he did or didn't do, especially if you don't accept stats-based arguments.

Playing fewer minutes per game than last season, he scored 0.1 fewer PPG on a higher FG%, increased his assist rate, too. Before injury, he was ridiculous, averaging 20-5-4.

I know people love to s*** on per36, but he just averaged 21.8-7.3-5.5 this season. Ball's assist per 36 minutes was only a shade higher at 7.6.

I'm not worried in the least about what he'll do next year. If you're a Lakers fan, you should be worried about who's going to play Center next year, I suggest.

10. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Yeah, everyone is focused in on pursuing Max FA's and resigning Randle, but who the heck is playing Center? Lopez isn't coming back for the exception IMHO, and it would be hard to replace his production. While I don't like the idea of paying 20 mil for him, who ARE we replacing him with? With what money?

It's not like we have developed prospects waiting in the wings ready to play 25-30 min in Zu or Bryant. Positionless basketball works well in spurts, but not all game and all season long.

11. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I have scoring punch numbers coming - and thoughts on LA’s rebuild.

12. LTLakerFan

LOL how many times have l mentioned we need a good Big man still who can at the least keep the +/- numbers relatively close against the growing # of decent to good true 7 footers in the league so we don't get punked by other centers. Including keeping Randle. I doubt the FO is sleeping on this as well.

13. LTLakerFan

Come on now. That's 180 degrees from what he is doing in the face of what we actually put on the floor this year (drafted and signed and traded for) (and looked like this year when healthy and experienced with one another) while still being able to have the cap space and the flexibility ready and waiting .... stating that it has been and will always be a bad plan. Regardless if we sign a star FA or not.

14. LTLakerFan

The thing that stands out to me though when I went to look at his 3 season numbers to see how they stacked up against Josh Hart's in his rookie year is that DLO's 2pt and 3pt shooting %s have been virtually the same all three years and less than you'd hope for. As well as reports from others who did watch of the sloppy turnovers continuing and the inconsistency.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/r/russeda01.html

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  15. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Russ is more than a year younger than Hart, and not seeing the improvement might mean choosing not to.

scnottaken, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

All I said was the shooting %s struck me as next to no improvement. I liked DLO's game when he was here aside from the lazy turnovers and inconsistency. I don't hate the kid and I admitted I didn't watch much at all of him play except against us.

trodgers likes this.
  17. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Understood. I guess I misread your post. Apologies.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

Not necessary but thanks. Looking forward to reading what thoughts and numbers for illustration you have for the first time since a year ago on this year's Lakers team.

19. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    Its fair to say that he has improved "some"....

like his shooting percentage is like 1% higher...great. Or he scores like 0.5 ppg more when playing the same minutes...

To me that all is absolutely worthless to measure.

Ask yourself...after 3 NBA seasons. Do you see a maturing process? Do ypou recognize a part in Russell's game that he has meaningfully improved in these 3 off-seasons? Do you see a guy that impacts the game in a more meaningful way than he did 2 years ago?

If the answer is yes, then fine. My answer is a resolute NO. Russell definitely looked more ready in the second season compared to the first season. He shook off the rookie jitters. But it would be pretty sad if he was still having them, so no credit there from me.

I just don't see where he has put in the work to improve significantly. Having improved "slightly" statistically with more freedom in Brooklyn doesn't mean anything. His impact to me is the same today than it was 2 years ago and thats pretty sad. At one point we could say he is a teenager...then we said he is just 20...then he is just 21...then he is just 22...

And those he is one of 5 players ever to average 17/4/9 per 36 min. in NBA history at the age of 21 etc. don't mean anything. The NBA is a different game today. People are grabbing triple doubles left and right. The 3 pointer has changed everything. Players come 2-3 years earlier to the NBA than they used to.

Just because MJ didn't average those stats at 21 because he was in college doesn't mean Russell > MJ.

I don't consider myself a Russell hater at all. I thought he was our best prospect from the first day until he was traded. I still see the talent in him. I'm just disappointed that he is a knuckle head. Not necessarily a bad person, just not the competitive professional that he needs to be in order to fulfil the potential.

20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Nobody thinks DAR is in Jordan's league :)