D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I'm not a basketball fan, honestly. I like playing basketball, but I don't like the way the game is played now. I can't stand watching Harden and LeBron brutalize people and have fouls called against the players guarding them. If that's what the NBA is, it doesn't really appeal to me. I lose no sleep over basketball, and I'm happy with that.

On fandom: I was a Magic and Kareem fan. I was a Jordan fan. I was a Shaqfan(TM). I was a Kobe fan. What almost all of those guys have in common is that they were Lakers. So I was a Lakers fan. I never felt the loyalty to that team the way I do to Notre Dame and the Phillies (maybe the quicker turnover here is what attracted me to those teams rather than the specific players; not sure).

Raiders fans, don't read this.
    I even stopped following the Raiders when Marcus Allen went to KC. I rooted for KC those years. And then I went back to watching the Raiders when Allen retired.

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Fine. Be that way.

:Fishwink:

:Shaqwink:

[​IMG]

3. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Heresy! :) I did not understand and hated what Davis to Allen...so did a lotta peoples. Can't blame ya...

Howie Long once said seeing Allen in a Chiefs uni was like seeing your ex-wife in another man's kitchen.

On topic: Russell as being an ex-Laker, I will always note his progress and how his career unfolds.

4. LTLakerFan

I did like it if Marcus had to be in Kansas City that he was there playing together with Joe Montana. Davis was an a-Hole with that treatment of Allen agreed.

trodgers and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  5. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    That was a good team - castoffs who almost made it.

6. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Well, then here’s to us getting the next Laker great that makes you want to watch games again.

:Beertoast2:

Your presence is missed around here.

(I’m just saying this to throw people off so that they don’t think I’m @trodgers )

ElginTheGreat, Kenzo, tada and 5 others like this.
  7. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Yeah, I've even stopped watching highlights. I feel this year's a stopgap. IT's not gonna be here, Randle probably won't be, so I'd rather just not get attached.

trodgers likes this.
  8. LTLakerFan

Jeezus ...it's your fandom to do with as you want....and far be it from me ....yada yada yada .... but you're likely wrong on the Randle part and would be missing a hell of a ride the rest of the year.

Injuries willing beyond Hart.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  9. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

Nice subtle sexism from Howie. Cause where else would she be than in the kitchen. :D

scnottaken, trodgers, abeer3 and 2 others like this.
  10. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    T-Rod,

these numbers aren't bad. But they aren't great either. Russell very clearly was not worth a #2 pick. Guys like Towns, Booker, Porzingiz are clearly better. Not slightly but clearly.

Russell is a poor soul putting up average numbers on crap teams so far. He is not particularly efficient, he isn't particularly smart, he is definitely not mature, he is definitely not a great professional, he is most likely not a great teammate and above all...he has never elevated his team in the W-L column. He is an immensely talented underachieving 22 year old with a problem between the ears.

16ppg and 7 apg on 45% shooting and 35% 3FG playing for one of the worst teams in basketball...I mean even the Nets have moved him to play more off the ball because they realize he probably isn't better than Spencer Dinwiddie distributing the ball. In other words...Russell hasn't even been able to become an undisputed leader on 2 absolute crap teams (the Lakers and Nets). I just don't see greatness of any kind at anything.

OmarE and The Showtime Mamba like this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

not sure of the point. what some didn't like is that a player of that caliber (draft position irrelevant) would be used to clear cap. i'd argue it might be the highest price ever paid to clear cap (gs gave up two late firsts to move rj and biedrins, for example). if and when that cap is moved for impact players (0 for 1, with really just one more shot before it was a waste), russell's lack of stardom becomes a more sensible point.

i actually don't disagree with your overall assessment of russell, though. i said that when he was here. i didn't see a star, but i also didn't see someone who needed to be dumped or that would/should be attached to dead salary in exchange for air.

also, if we're going to harp on his lack of stardom, we should recognize his lack of "locker room cancer" as well...

scnottaken likes this.
  13. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^The point is for Lakers fans, anything other than stardom would have been labled a massive fail and Russell was going to feel the heat.

If Laker fans would have been happy with Russell being a 16 ppg player with 7 apg...then it would have been a different story. The expectations here were more along the 23/5/8 for him at his peak.

With the type of expectations that Russell's draft brought along with it, the Lakers had to trade him if he wasn't gonna become a star because that was clearly the expectation. You can say it was the highest dumping price ever. I tell you, Russell wasn't going to mesh well with Ingram and Ball. His ego was going to be a problem. So while it was a high price to pay, it definitely improved the locker room chemistry.

The Lakers success this season is proving it to be the right move.

14. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    You don’t see 23-5-8 in Russell?

I definitely see 20-6-4. I’m not sir about the star label. It’s not just about numbers. Russ may be a guy who’s better his whole career are getting his numbers than getting wins. I get why people don’t like that.

15. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    At this point in time, I don't see 23/5/8 on efficient percentages.

I don't see him ever being a good Playmaker and averaging more than 6/7 assists.

20/4/6 is realistic though shooting 43% and 37% from three. To me that's his ceiling right now given his maturity. But honestly, those numbers are all star-ish, if it doesn't translate to leadership and wins its worthless to me.

16. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    A) I totally agree 20-6-4 on 43/37. Absolutely attainable - and he's 21.
    B) I probably agree with that as well - he hasn't yet been able to become a leader, and that's a legit knock on him.

Last night: 20-8-3 on 57% shooting, 3-6 from three, and 8:1 ast/to ratio.

But...to have a 20-4-4 (not 20-6-4) by age 22 is rare. It's been done 28 times in the last 60 years.

Kareem, Giannis, Devin Booker, Kobe, Tyreke Evans, KG, Juwan Howard, AI, LeBron, Kevin Johnson, Magic, Jordan, T-Mac, CP3, Oscar Robertson, D-Rose, Reggie Theus, Isaiah, David Thompson, Webber, Russ, and Sidney Wicks are the only players to do it. The list shortens to 12 times, 9 total players, if you bump it to 6 assists.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah...there's a lot of variables at play here, not sure you can pin it all on russell. again, no chemistry issues in bkn. maybe the FO switch and the removal of nick young would have been sufficient to get things back in order in the locker room. we can't know now. had russell been causing problems with his new team, i think you'd have a solid argument. and if he does in the future, this becomes a solid argument. but right now, i'm not sold.

18. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think there's sufficient evidence that Russell's vibe at the very least didn't mesh with management. Sometimes people just don't get along. It happens. I for one was definitely curious about what Russell/Ball would look like, but the FO had other plans. It is what it is and I'm perfectly fine with it given the success we're having now.

Cookie, Weezy and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  19. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    Last 6 games he has scored 6 (2-9) then 25 (9-18), then 15 (5-15), then 6 (1-6), then 20 (8-14) and then 8 (2-8).

The inconsistency is a major culprit for him right now.

20. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    And 26 (9-17).