D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

What's all that "stuff about his attitude and relationships with the team"? Have we seen any evidence? ESPN, TMZ, anything?

abeer3 and scnottaken like this.
  2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Pfftt. DLO bad attitude denier.

:Shaqfunnyface:

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I would just like to know what the hell was up. How come LA media didn't throw any dirt on DLO by now or before? If it's all because "the tape", then LOLLLLLLLLLLL.

4. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

Apparently @D-Fish Man knows what’s up but keeps it to himself for now.

Speculations were that it’s bad, but nothing illegal.

therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

have we ever read or seen anything about d-lo not being well liked by his teammates?

aside from the swaggy video, was there ever a time where he made the news for bad behavior or conduct detrimental to the team?

sure there were "rumours" about him being a distraction, etc but how much of that (if any) was true? part of the reason why i hate the d-lo trade is because i feel that the FO really overreacted to these rumours and that factored into the decision to trade him. i know they obviously knew stuff about him we don't but it sure doesn't seem like there was any bad blood between d-lo and his teammates. everything i've seen/read indicates he was pretty well liked

abeer3 and scnottaken like this.
  6. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

pretty sure i (or someone) posted rob's direct quotes right after the trade about chasing max FAs. REALLY hard to get around that. the FO's first rumblings were that this was to help the lakers go get stars, not to acquire lopez.

edit:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com...inka-dangelo-russell-cap-space-in-2018-sacred

maybe this link covers both of our points, but i think it supports mine more strongly: did okc's management even mention cap flexibility in their direct quotes about the paul george trade? when you trade for the player, you can't simultaneously say you traded for his salary slot. it's one or the other. saying it's both is great politics, but we all know one of these was the driving force.

lol, you're having a laugh, right? what's disingenuous is EXACTLY that statement. it was lopez/27, not lopez/kuzma, whom the nets have basically admitted they wouldn't have taken at 27 and thus would have been sitting there at 28. we didn't gain kuzma in the trade, period. clinging to that technicality is kind of proving the point.

disingenuous: not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does

you shouldn't. their impact is similar, and one is paid 1/4 of the other. the fact that folks are quietly accepting that it would be nice if we had another guard who could pass, shoot, and handle is pretty damning. there's a thread in which people are racking their brains to find a guard with such skills and coming up with bupkus...except that guy we dumped cuz nick young's bro code or something...

Last edited: Nov 11, 2017
    scnottaken likes this.
  7. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Don’t understand the constant whining about Russell.

He isn’t a Laker anymore and at the end of the day what did he do for the Lakers?

Not a damn thing. He put up nice stats on a bad team who cares? A lot of guys can do that.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

nobody on our team is doing that. just sayin'.

and i hate to play this role, but i just can't handle the double standards, revisionist history, and goalpost shifting that goes on with respect to both russell and this trade.

it's simple: the FO gambled on russell being a) not that good or b) a total headcase and c) their ability to lure a top notch FA next summer. it's becoming clear that a) is not true, so if b) or c) doesn't prove true, people have to be prepared to declare a loss here. declaring victory at this point is my problem.

i'll gladly be first in the apology thread if they prove to be right in the long run.

ElginTheGreat, shoe and scnottaken like this.
  9. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Don't forget that when Russell was traded, Magic specifically said that in lieu of Russell, they needed a leader and someone other players want to play with. There is no way Magic just comes out and says that unless he has good reasons to believe the other players didn't want to play with him.

10. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

perhaps. again, my issue is that we don't know that. as others have posted recently: we have zero evidence aside from some d****** video leak. what if we salary dumped kobe due to his accidentally dropping the dime on shaq back in the day?

again, when we learn that russell has killed bkn's chemistry or driven away FAs--or that we are able to make use of that space, i'll shut up and smile.

jbiggs, 432J and scnottaken like this.
  11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
  12. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I'm just glad we got rid of trodgers, that guy added nothing to this site:Kobe Snickering: Come back T:dwightcrying: lots of stats to crunch with Zo around

ZenMaster and sirronstuff like this.
  13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...gm-rob-pelinka-dispels-notion-rebuilding-year

The reality is you're choosing to believe what you want about the trade. I suppose I am too, but I don't see any reason why you'd assume it's a salary dump when there's so much evidence to the contrary. Both of us can be right and both of us can be wrong, but I believe wholeheartedly that this trade had as much to do with Lopez as it did the cap space and I'm glad it happened the way it did.
    When have I said you knew less than I did? This is fairly insulting towards me actually. We disagree all the time, but I've never been disingenuous, this is simply what I believe: if the Lakers don't take Kuzma at 27, then there's a good chance someone else does. The Lakers traded for the #27 to take Kuzma with that pick. I think we can all agree on that. If they don't, there's a good chance the Nets trade that pick somewhere else or flat out take Kuzma themselves. I've seen no quote saying the Nets didn't intend to take Kuzma, but plenty of quotes saying they were shopping the pick. Who is to say they don't trade with San Antonio or some other team that takes Kuzma? We're relying on chance that he'd be there the next pick down. So yes, the trade is Russell/Mozgov for Lopez/Kuzma. Arguing otherwise is again framing for your own argument. That's not disingenuous and I have no illusion that I know something that you don't, I just believe that to be true. We made the right move: Lopez for Russell straight up would have been the right move too which would mean we traded Mozgov for a late 1st round pick. Sounds like a damn good deal to me.

What's strange is so many Laker fans deliberating the move when we've clearly come out on top in the end.

I said all along that Ball/Russell would make a good pairing offensively, but I'm still 100% in favor of Ball/Lopez. Lopez impacts a game better than Russell does, he's more consistent, he's as talented a shooter and scorer, he's a better defender, and he does it from a unique position on the floor. And if you want to include salaries in these talks, then you're going to have to mention Mozgov's massive contract compared to Kuzma's.

14. therealdeal

I'll take the insurance. It was worth it.

15. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Brolo and consistent don't belong in the same sentence. Neither do he and defense, but he's certainly gotten better than he's shown in the past. Who's to say Dlo couldn't get better defensively? Randle has made leaps, and he was horrid.

John3:16 likes this.
  16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Looks like the knee is still an issue.

17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

disingenuity is letting on that you know less than you do in service of some other goal. in this case, i feel like you're pretending we have no idea what would have happened had the lakers simply stayed at 28. the idea that kuzma was destined to go at 27 is sorta crazy, really. if SA wanted him so badly, they could have moved to 26 or higher. they had time to maneuver.

i agree with pincus. some insurance, but really, we got hart and bryant. kuzma was going to be the lakers late first rounder.

alam1108 likes this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yeah, that was certainly a concern of mine when he was here.

ZenMaster and ElginTheGreat like this.
  19. therealdeal

Never said it was destined. Pinch said it right: insurance.

Disingenuous would be me claiming it was a foregone conclusion but I'm not. I'm just on the other side of the fence. I have the same conviction that the insurance was worth it that you do that its not and we could have gotten Kuzma later.

The bottom line really is I'd (much) rather have Lopez and Kuzma than Russell and Mozgov and it's not close at all. I feel like most Laker fans should agree but there's a contingent of strong Russell fans that won't agree with that.

20. therealdeal

Lopez is certainly a more consistent rim protector than any big we've had in years. That is the defense I'm talking about. He's also more consistent in effort and focus than what we saw out of Russell which was one of my biggest pet peeves. Effort isn't something we should ever have to question.

Russell could get better, but he looks the same thus far and I vastly prefer the team we have after that trade than the one before or the one we likely would have had if we hadn't made any move. Do you disagree?