D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah I agree. I think more and more it's clear D'Angelo needs someone to keep him straight on the court. I thought Lin would help and without that help he's been the same as he was here.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  2. scnottaken

scnottaken - Rookie -

Eh as of now 1 year rental/hart ~ Dlo/Moz including contracts.

3. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    20/5/5 at the age of 21....can't say he is playing bad at all...these are great numbers for a 21 year old.

He might not be the most efficient guy, but there are many many players in the NBA that aren't efficient but put up big numbers.

He is not a winner IMO...thats the only knock on him. He doesn't live and die by basketball and is kind of distracted/immature.

Also, to say he was chosen with the 27th pick is pretty much a mute point. If the Lakers didn't have the Nets pick, they would have picked him with their own pick, its not like he would have been gone.

ElginTheGreat, scnottaken and abeer3 like this.
  4. therealdeal

I don't think it's a moot point that the Lakers traded Russell for Kuzma because the Lakers chose to make that deal and Nets wanted to do it as well. So while we didn't necessarily have to make that choice, we did make that choice and both teams are sticking by it. The Nets two days ago said they don't regret making this move and "who knows who would have drafted Kyle, kudos to the Lakers for that" meaning to me that they didn't have plans to take Kuzma. Clearly they don't regret the move although they should.

In the end, the trade to me is a giant win for the Lakers and hopefully a preview of good things to come. We got an All-Star level big for Russell and a 1st round pick that our scouting department was able to turn into a winner. I love it. What a haul. Of course, it looks even better now because we were able to snag KCP on a one-year deal. Without KCP, that trade would have looked worse, but I'm hoping we'll say that again in a few months time.

5. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    agreed, the big thing I have noticed too and it was hard to see it as clearly now that he's on another team is defensively he just wasn't consistent at all. I've watched about 3-4 BRK games and seeing how we are playing defense this year I'm not sure if we'd be as good if Russell was still on our team. He still doesn't communicate enough on defense and the effort isn't always there.

But yes, the man can score the ball.

lakerjones likes this.
  6. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Russell probably wants to play defense but he has to focus on offense just like he did when he was with us...

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  7. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

he's who i thought he was. i think most can agree on what he is. the argument is whether it was wise to move that for cap space. again, won't know until the summer.

but let's not kid ourselves: if he was putting up 20/6/5 on 44% from the field in a purple and gold jersey, folks would be excited.

Kenzo, jbiggs, TIME and 2 others like this.
  8. therealdeal

I'd only be excited if he was doing that and we were winning. I would however spend some time defending him. Now I'm happy I don't have to.

I still think it was a good deal and looked at the greater scope of things, we came out ahead of that deal right now. If we don't land a big FA this summer, I think we still won the deal by a decent margin, but not as great as it could have been (because Lopez will almost certainly be retained if we don't get the bigger fish). Trading Russell/Mozgov for Kuzma/Lopez long-term sounds like a good deal to me.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  9. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

we're not still trying to claim kuzma here are we? that's disingenuous, imo. it was russell for cap space, period. this was basically what our own FO said at the time of the trade. other interpretations are revisionist history designed to make us feel better.

even it if it were russell for lopez, i'm not sure we came out ahead. if the complaint with russell is consistency, you don't want to peek at lopez's game to game performances.

Big Mamma Jamma, 432J and scnottaken like this.
  10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I think at the very least we need to value that pick as a Nance/Clarkson level player. That's how good our scouting department is. Lopez + Nance/Clarkson + cap space still makes that trade good.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  11. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

that's a lot of faith in the scouting department, right? especially considering that we offered both of those picks plus randle for george, which would mean we were offering nance/kuzma/randle in their minds?

anyway, the larger point is that we'd be pretty happy with russell's play if he were still a laker, but we're poking holes to reduce cognitive dissonance.

jbiggs and scnottaken like this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Probably more like Nance/Hart/Randle because they thought Kuzma wouldn't fall to #27.

13. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

really? i thought he was consistently projected lower.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

It's been reported that the Lakers were "thrilled" Kuzma fell to #27. They thought he'd go much higher.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I recall that as well.

16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I'm going to trust the new front office made the best decision for the franchise long term. Time will bear that out. Or not.

17. Kou

Kou - Lakers 6th Man -

The Nets have the same record as us currently, he put up 21/9 again the Blazers on the road.

I still think the trade was the best thing for both teams considering Kuzma, KCP, Lopez, but I don't think that should take away from his play (minus the James Harden defence at times) where he is averaging 20.5/4.5/5.9.

abeer3 and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
  19. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Those numbers for a 2nd year player are amazing. From a pure basketball perspective I still would want him on the team going forward. But, given all the stuff about his attitude and relationships with the team, it was the right call to move him. It was addition by subtraction. The Moz contract, Lopez and the 27th pick were all icing making it all easier to swallow.

20. therealdeal

I already disproved that the FO claimed this was just a salary dump. I showed you the exact quote where we mentioned Lopez and how good of a player he is before anything to do with salaries. I did that a week or two ago.

There's absolutely nothing disingenuous about what I said. The trade literally was Lopez/#27 (Kuzma) for Russell/Mozgov. What is disingenuous about the exact outcome of the trade?

And Lopez is a better player than Russell. I have no problem saying that. He's a better player, better fit for us, and he provides about as perfect a fit for this system as we could ask for. I've been saying that and I will continue to say it. I stand by it.