D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Yea werent you one of their staunch supporters?

2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Disagree with Walton. I really do wish Russell well...just not against us of course.

3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/07/2...ed-brandon-ingram-untouchable-in-trade-talks/

If true, looks like the last FO was willing to part with Russell to Sacramento for Cousins.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    good job not getting cousins at that point. We might have lost a chance to draft our savior :giggle:

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

sirronstuff and scnottaken like this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater

32:35 Tania's take on why Russell was dispensed with

Barnstable, sirronstuff and TIME like this.
  7. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    So @trodgers can come back now, or is because some of ya'all are turds?

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

been trying to trade for a long time, then cites reason that they were getting a good pg in the draft. what's a "long time"?

i also don't view moving moz's deal as that huge. deng's was the real albatross. moz at least provided something useful and was a professional.

no amount of spin is going to make me understand this one until paul george and another max guy sign next summer. short of that, this was silliness to me.

scnottaken, alam1108, 432J and 2 others like this.
  9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Good listen

Recap:

- Russell saw the writing on the wall knowing that a good player was going to have to be attached to one of these bad contracts in order for them to be moved. His agent kept him in the loop of the possibility he may be included in the deal.

- Still likes the LA fans and will still keep him home in LA

- Believes he's better equipped to lead a team then compared to his first few years. The versatility in this league is important when playing either 1 or 2.

- Says playing off the ball was easier and better for him but can do both following the ending of this year.

- Said he never felt his role or what Lakers FO saw in him was clear. Understand he was not there draft pick.

- When Lakers got the #2 pick he didn't care or was worried about it, no blue print laid out.

- He felt bad when Lou Will was traded, he was his guy and our best player. His stock was high. Opened his eyes to anyone could really be traded. Thought Lou should have won 6th Man of the Year.

- Views examples of Harden going to HOU and blowing up and Lou playing well in HOU after the trade as good things that can happen in new situation

- The mental part is the toughest thing to keep up instead of the physical part of the game when team is losing and trying to keep your spirit up and belief in yourself.

- Good friends with Rondo and values his attitude and cockiness at times to getting better.

- First thing Brooklyn asked of him is improving his defense.

- Brooklyn's feel of how they do things is more like college, you have a schedule laid out of what needs to get done. LA is not like that at all (not a knock on them). Just more freedom in LA. Russell prefers the structure because that's how it was in HS and college for him. Didn't think LA was going to be so loose.

- Still trying to find himself in this league and going to enjoy how everything is so new. More pros than cons.

- Was really surprised by Magic's comments on his leadership, doesn't understand them. He's still one of the best PG's to ever play (in Magic) and anything he has to say he'll run with it and make the best of it. What's it going to look like if I go back and forth with Magic in the media. I'm not going to win so I just ignored it.

- Wouldn't go back and change anything with regards to how his career has gone. Doesn't really care what anyone says or thinks. Keeps his circle small.

- Definitely being in the east night in and night out the names are different and awards are different that players have. Only playing the top guards in the West 1-2 times a year is a bummer because doesn't have as many times to learn from them.

- Wanted to visit Ohio State more while in LA but schedule and distance is hard. Wanted to support his coach who was fired and Russ was really bothered by that and doesn't plan to go back now in how they handled that.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Cookie, shoe, tada and 9 others like this.
  10. Juronimo

Juronimo - Lakers Starter -

plays with one's and zero's
    I want Russell to put it together 80 out of 82 games a year. I hope he becomes a star 80 out 82 games. Good luck.

sirronstuff, scnottaken and 432J like this.
  11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

This is a dangerous game to play with young people, especially as young as our guys are. No wonder Julius gained weight and Clarkson/Russell didn't progress well. They need structure. Not every kid is self-motivated like Ingram.

12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yes, this is what some of us have been arguing. the organization tanked our youth's value by poor development, then sold low on one of them.

the comment regarding "not changing anything" is troublesome. reeks of lack of self awareness. things obviously haven't gone perfectly; saying you wouldn't change it might be construed as suggesting you didn't play a role in these issues with your decision making and general approach. in fact, the comment regarding structure is implicitly suggesting that you did not use your free time wisely. so why can't you say it? if i'm a bkn fan, i'd feel better if he just said: i'd change the way i approached things early on. i learned from that, and it's not going to continue. instead, he's like "c'est la vie".

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I think that attitude is what Mitch and Jim liked, but it's a double-edged sword. D'Angelo's confidence in himself is what gives him an edge at times, but that confidence becomes a problem when he makes mistakes that he's not willing to fix. I agree with you: he should have said "I've learned what to do and what not to do" or something like that.

I'm on board with our process being poor for young people. I think it took a decent turn last season, but now with Magic and Rob at the helm I think it'll take a great turn. Unfortunately that means cutting ties with some people who may or may not deserve it, but that's what regime change does.

Cookie, abeer3, LaVarBallsDad and 3 others like this.
  14. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I don't think its fair to say we had poor player development. Now, maybe we did under B Scott, which that isn't surprising but under Luke and our coaches now I think our player development is the best its been in quite some time.

As far as this notion of Brooklyn being a lot more structured and Russ saying LA was more loose. I'm not surprised. This is a full time job, as a young adult you need to understand that not ever team or coach is going to cradle you. I'm also not saying what Brooklyn is doing is wrong, not at all. I myself like structure as well. But you also have to know how to get your work/workouts done without having to have someone tell you.

Overall, I thought it was a great and honest quote from Russ so I appreciated it. LA isn't for everyone.

abeer3, sirronstuff and Weezy like this.
  15. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

yeah in regards to the whole "structure vs. freedom" thing, i think the freedom russ is referring to is no doubt going to change under magic and rob, who are both new school guys compared to the old regime. i'm not saying d-lo completely fell victim to the hands off approach but it makes me wonder if the old regime was more hands on and structured when it came to the kids then maybe d-lo's (and the others') development would have been different than the way it's turned out

magic and rob are definitely going to be more cautious when it comes to ball and even ingram but it's safe to say that d-lo's development was no doubt stunted in a way by the old regime of mitch/jim/byron. i think the difference between the old and new regime is like night and day, this organization has finally stepped into the 21st century. but i still hate that the FO saw d-lo as a lost cause and dealt him. i mean he's only 20-21 years old, still a work in progress. i hate that they gave up on him so quickly and failed to see that they could no doubt still develop him into the player he has the potential to be

scnottaken, Weezy and Juronimo like this.
  16. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Here's a painful hindsight 20/20 hypothetical I've been knocking around. Tell me what you think. Had we drafted Zinger instead, would we have been bad enough to keep our picks and draft Ingram and Lonzo?

abeer3 likes this.
  17. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I think so. The Knicks won 32 and 31 games the last 2 seasons, with an actual all-star in Melo, with a really good season from Rose this last one, and that's in the incredibly weak East. I don't think Porzingis would have made a greater impact on our win/loss column than Russ did.

18. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I can't remember where I read it but I read a piece on Dlo where they said his brothers use to be pretty mean to him and boss him around, and as a result, to paraphrase, Dlo has an attitude where he doesn't take in criticism or advice very well, even if it's constructive. He kind of ignores it and decides to do things his way.

I think this is just another example of that attitude

abeer3, therealdeal and Weezy like this.
  19. KareemtheGreat33

Brow-beater
    So he's like most millennials lol

alam1108, Kenzo, LTLakerFan and 3 others like this.
  20. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Lebron said if he was still on the team next year, he'd be tempted to kick his arse.

:Noddingyes: :Laugh:

therealdeal, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.