D'Angelo Russell Discussion: All Time Lakers Season 3 Point Shooter

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by The Original 81, Jun 25, 2015.

1. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Completely agree with you.

ZenMaster likes this.
  2. ElginTheGreat

Did KRL create new accounts? :Laugh::Laugh:

therealdeal, alam1108, Weezy and 2 others like this.
  3. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I think Dlo will have Lowry type career, Lowry was on multiple teams early on as well and had "attitude" issues too, wasn't till he got to Hou where he started to recover his career and where he's at today. Dlo #'s were better looking than Conley at similar age, took Conley a long time to get to where he's at now, I thought Conley was going to be a bust, guess if you have the right attitude and mindset, mgmt can and will support you till you get there otherwise you dont get used as an asset for a salary dump. Hell Exum was labeled a "PG ver. of Kobe" and up to now hasn't done squat but Utah hasn't given him away.

432J, ElginTheGreat and abeer3 like this.
  4. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

some good quotes from the kamenetzky piece:

very few young players have to deal with this, and the lakers did a poor job deflecting it.

so this. feel like ingram and lonzo are going to have to deal with it, too.

this is how you end up with mozdeng in the first place. or perhaps worse, you're philly or *gasp* sacramento.

5. Lakerman JSJ

Lakerman JSJ Moderator Staff Member

Do. Not. Understand.

6. Daloyalfan18-Brandon

Daloyalfan18-Brandon - Rookie -

I REALLY want to know what went on behind the scenes with Russell to cause him to be so despised. It can't all be from the Nick incident can it?

LTLakerFan, alam1108 and 432J like this.
  7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

We'll probably never get the full details of his character issues, which are very serious but not criminal, according to D-Fish Man.

8. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Pretty clear people in the NBA and even just other fans aren't nearly as high on Russell as a lot of Lakers fans are. The attitude issues and lack of leadership are real concerns and the guy just never was consistent enough on the court either.

432J likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

[​IMG]

therealdeal and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  10. ElginTheGreat

Lonzo Ball and Malik Monk. I would have been more than happy with that.

11. ElginTheGreat

Issue isn't trading Russell. Its the timing and who we got in return especially if the #9 pick was available.

ZenMaster likes this.
  12. ElginTheGreat

Also, the backlash will quickly die down with one Woj bomb saying we got George...

therealdeal likes this.
  13. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Wow. Maybe that is tongue in cheek Joel still bitter and trolling us? Didn't sound like it though. How much is out there league wide of behind the scenes s*** over and above the red flags of Byron's dislike of him, Magic and Luke benching him following his monumental f*** up rolling the ball lackadaisically up the floor toward mid court and then stumbling and kicking it out of bounds, and then Magic not including him in his public statements about "core" pieces going forward?

14. ElginTheGreat

Honestly, given my own experiences hanging out with pro athletes and the stories I'm told from one friend who works at ESPN and another who is an agent, teams from college to the pros cover up all kinds of things about athletes. Russell's issues, especially if they aren't criminal, should have never leaked to anyone. All it did was sink his value. You want to trade a guy, then you pump them up. We crapped on him at every opportunity and then act surprised when we have difficulty unloading him.

abeer3, ZenMaster, LTLakerFan and 2 others like this.
  15. Lakerman JSJ

The leaguewide low opinion of Russell is due to some combination of the following:

1) He's a completely toxic locker room cancer.
    2) The perception of his talent is simply lower than it should be in league circles.
    3) There's real concern about his nagging knee issues.

This just wreaks of "There's way more to this whole situation that fans aren't privy to". A shame. I still think he's an All-Star down the line.

16. Lakerman JSJ

Agreed.

And to continue your point, if he's going to be dumped, why not pair him with Lonzo, increase his value since they'd likely compliment each other's offensive games well, and then trade him at the deadline when his value is higher?

17. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Like I posted yesterday, GMs hate Dangelo. They don't trust him. Tough to trade someone like that. Even more difficult trying to go forward and expect to win a title, pinning your hopes on an immature player.

If Magic and Rob truly felt he was too immature / un-trustworthy, they did well to trade him now.

sirronstuff, LTLakerFan and tada like this.
  18. YoungThundercat

YoungThundercat - Rookie -

Yeah, I was certainly one of the bigger D'Angelo apologists, but this feels something like what my uncle used to tell me: "If one person tells you the sky is purple, they are crazy. Ten people, you're being pranked. One Thousand people, it may be time to get your eyes checked."

19. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

It's pretty abundantly clear at this point that Laker fans are the only ones who regarded Russell highly. It's too bad as I really wanted to see what he and Lonzo could do together in the backcourt. I thought they were very complementary players - each excelled at different things and could have covered each other's weaknesses.

Ah well. I'll miss DLO's ability to get scorching hot and even some of his cockiness. I was really not into him when we drafted him over Okafor but I came around pretty quickly when I saw his talent on display. Personally I think a lot is being made of the character/immaturity thing which I believe he could have outgrown. I feel like some of this could just be lingering doubt more than real fear and is being used as part of the rationale just because they really wanted to dump Moz at all costs, get Lopez as expiring and they are fine with Russell being collateral damage at this time. That's all ok, too, ultimately. These are tough decisions to make. I guess we'll see what happens.

20. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

WOW....

The two (three?) morons didn't do well to trade him now. That's a f***ing spin...

1. the issues, however real they are, haven't manifested suddenly in the month of May; the moron twins knew about them, yet did nothing to try and boost DAR's value
    2. Magic took DAR everywhere the last couple of weeks; he was at workouts and such
    3. there was no need to trade him for cap space, again -- boost up his value, make a positive spin and try to get more

Timing and the process leading to the trade are the issue, not the trade itself. The whole thing reeks of incompetence, inexperience and agendas.

My signature still stands...

ElginTheGreat likes this.