Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

His frustration was Kuzma repeatedly shoving him in the back under the basket and not being called for it. :Laugh: Point taken on the rest though and yeah the swarming helped piss him off. Who likes to be "swarmed". It's not fair.

:Blink:

2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I know more of you are bailing on Luke. I get it, but Luke was, is and will remain my guy.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I'm not bailing on him, but I still think he has been a definite mixed bag this season.

4. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I'm not bailing on Luke. But I was disappointed in his refusal to play Randle early on as well as his insistence on starting Nance. Since Nance got hurt (sorry Larry!), we've seen much better rotations and I love that Kuz got the start. I'd still like Luke to experiment with starting Randle some time during this stretch that Nance is out, but in general I'm higher on Luke now than I was earlier. Still we've seen some head scratching lineups out there and at times his refusal to stay with the hot hands has hurt us down the stretch. But then again he's learned from those and kept the hot hands going at other times which made up for the earlier gaffes.

Ultimately he's a young coach for a young squad and I think both he and the players are learning as they go. There's no one else I'd really rather have right now who was available to hire. So I'm fine with it. Now with better, more experienced players that we may end up with through free agency we'd have to see. But that hasn't happened yet.

LTLakerFan, TIME and tada like this.
  5. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

If you take a team from last to 4th in defense, you're my coach! You put some more talent on this roster and they embrace the culture/philosophy of this team and we're going places. That will come, but laying down the foundation is absolutely vital and Luke is doing that.

If Luke fails with a star-laden roster, I believe criticism is warranted, but you got the 3rd youngest team in the league and our major cogs are new to this team (KCP and BLo)...you got an abridged training camp and you got some early injuries within camp and in the season (Nance) that has affected his approach and lost us some winnable games...yet we're 4th in Defense and 1 game out of the 8th spot in a loaded western conference. Luke has done admirably IMHO.

ElginTheGreat, TIME and lakerjones like this.
  6. LTLakerFan

7. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Luke's rotations have sucked. I don't know what he is doing sometimes. He takes guys out for 2 min and then puts them back in. I'm like, what is this?

Kenzo, sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    The Coach gets blamed if the team doesn't win.

sirronstuff likes this.
  9. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I will sometimes chalk up curious decisions to "things we don't know behind the scenes" or my lack of bball knowledge.

but....

When they continue too long and we start losing for too long???? That's when I bring the heavy artillery out.

[​IMG]

Luke is safe for now. And yes, for now..... www.fireluke.com is all cute ...... but nothing lasts forever. Gots to be prepared. There are two kinds of coaches. Those who have been fired, and those that will be fired. Very few retire on their own terms, in any sport, ever.

10. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Sorry bud, no one is my guy. Luke has looked dejected this year. He does not look comfortable. If he is going through growing pains, fine but Luke's rotations have not been good. Team is playing better D but there needs to be some more fluid consistency with how he manages the lineups. I hope he can figure it out but he looks off.

11. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Guy got murdered for taking Kuz out too early in the game....guess what, he's a rookie and if he's missing something on defense, you yank his a**. I don't care how many dinners you have with Kobe, you're being groomed to play the right way.

Our 2nd unit played terribull D in the 1st half, but that same unit brought it on the defensive end in the 3rd. That's coaching folks! If you can't hang with the Bull's 2nd unit, then that ain't bad coaching, that's on the player. We don't have the best talent on this squad...we are the 3rd youngest team in the league. You give these guys the business if they don't play the right way. They ain't entitled to jack s*** right now. This was a classic trap game, but the funny thing is that we ain't even that good to consider this a trap game. Their a**** get lit into at the half and when they came out for the 3rd, they came with a purpose.

I'm happy for Luke in sticking with his guns and even those questionable rotations....cause as long as these youngns keep responding to tough love, its working!

Case and point, look at Randle use that bench "demotion" to light a fire on the defensive end. And literally all our players are preaching defense now, when they couldn't even whimper it in previous seasons.

Helluva job coach! Salute! Now, keep playing that way and play spoilers to some of these upper echelon teams coming up in December.

12. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

b*******, IMO.

The d didn’t improve. Everyone else was having mental lapses.

You take TO and light into them. You don’t take 4/4 player out.

jbiggs, Khmrp and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I thought he took Kuzma out because he looked a little gassed and because the team wasn't moving the ball at all. He did the same to Julius. I thought it was the right move. They looked tired and the two of them were isoing too much. Those dead possessions gave the Bulls that solid lead.

Barnstable likes this.
  14. LTLakerFan

In the first quarter half way through when Kuz was channeling his inner Mamba?

jbiggs and ZenMaster like this.
  15. Jaguar

Jaguar - Lakers 6th Man -

I thought he took Kumza out in the 1st quarter because it looked like the team was relying on him to bail him out. Normally that wouldn't be a big deal, you go with your hot shooter. But given the youth of this team, it would probably be a good idea to make sure the offense is clicking and not just Kuzma. Kuzma probably would have had a career high in the first half if he just let him play.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    +1. Showed the camera on Kuz after... How long was he out anyway?..

In Kuz we trust. Lets get another W baby and discuss the small stuff later ;)

17. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

START JULIUS RANDLE IN THE 3RD QUARTER , YOU MORON

tada and OmarE like this.
  18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

lack of talent is bs, is this team really 18pt worse roster than the queens? give me a brake, they lucked out beating chi, a team that has no business being up 19 on anybody, not even the worse team in the league would be down 19 to chi

19. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Oh look more Luke has no clue after another loss... Dont bother explaining lol.

Happy thanksgiving yall!

20. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Clueless or not, Lopez/Bogut/Brewer on the court at the same time?

Juronimo, LTLakerFan and John3:16 like this.