Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Just seems stupid to me. Nance is doing nothing well right now besides hustling nowhere. I thought the whole point of waiting for Lopez to get back was to see how he looked next to Randle. Are we blaming Randle for the s*** from last week now? Because that's nonsense to me.

tada likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Yeah unless Randle/Lopez looked horrible in practice, this makes no sense. These games are too valuable for meaningless experiments.

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

Hmm, it actually was ok. Randle had a double-double/nice scoring game off the bench, Nance played solid D next to Lopez, got out and ran, and mostly, didn’t get in anyone’s way. Don’t know if it’s a long term solution, guess I’d still like to see Randle start next to Lopez to see what he looks like, but I dunno. Lopez benefits from guys passing quick, Inside-out ball, setting him up for threes, none of which Randle is strong at, more of an iso player.

ElginTheGreat and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  4. therealdeal

I did actually like Randle off the bench because it gave him a chance to direct traffic which he's actually not terrible at. When he was putting up triple doubles, we were trusting him in the high post to make the right reads and he can do that offensively (defensively hell no still).

My favorite part about this game though was his engagement defensively in the passing lanes. He's too damn quick not to average a steal a game. I know that's an arbitrary stat in this day and age, but he's got quick hands and feet and should be able to read situations better than he does.

I'd be okay having him come off the bench, but boy is Larry uninspiring right now.

5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I don't want Randle coming off the bench, Larry just is not cutting it at all. I want to see what Randle can do alongside Lopez in the starting lineup. Randle was good with Kuz though.

tada likes this.
  6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Looked like the experiment worked to me too. At this point, Luke had to try something and I can't fault him for this move

therealdeal likes this.
  7. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

Ingram out, Kuzma in. You'll thank me later Luke.
    Ball, KCP, Kuz, Jules and Lopez. It's not rocket science... but Magic's big mouth (he should save it for stuffing popcorn) makes it a bit hard though.

8. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  9. therealdeal

I agree with that. I want to see the full lineup as soon as possible so we can see how they all fit together. However, with the way Magic talked up Ingram, I think it's extremely doubtful they bring him off the bench which they should. Instead I think Randle losses his starting spot in favor of either Kuzma or Larry Nance.

It should be Ball/KCP/Kuzma/Randle/Lopez, but it'll probably end up being Ball/KCP/Ingram/Nance/Lopez with Kuzma and Randle off the bench. I'm not really mad at it because I think it'll work, but we'll see what happens.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  10. lakerjones

We'll see but Randle and Kuzma really worked well together. Nance is doing no one any favors as a starter. He's been ineffective at small ball starting 5 and now at 4 alongside Lopez. They need to move away from that one.

Since it's a contract year for Randle I'd prefer he kept the starting position. Ingram played better last game than he has been since he focused more on defense, IMO. But I would have no problem if we benched him for Kuz at the 3. But like you I don't see that happening.

To be honest I mentioned this earlier, but I'll do so again. The lineup I'd like to see at times is Ball, Ingram at 2, Kuz, Randle and Lopez. That's a LOT of fire power. And I think the length on D would really swallow some teams up. I'm not saying I want is a starting lineup, just as a lineup at some point in the game. I think we owe it to KCP to have him as a starter throughout the year.

tada likes this.
  11. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I think most of the board would agree w/you. Lopez and Kyle can space the floor for Jules and Ball; it's a really good fit.

therealdeal and LTLakerFan like this.
  12. therealdeal

I'd start KCP over Ingram. He brings better defense and better decision making and is less likely to hold the ball for 10 seconds before firing up a bad shot.

I do like Randle and Kuzma together, they should be starting at the 3/4 position right now. I think there's going to be legitimate energy between 1/3/4 when Lonzo, Kuzma, and Randle start running together. The question is who fits at the 2 best to run with those three? I think it's KCP even though Ingram has more upside. Right now Ingram's head isn't right and he's forcing too much. I want to win games. I think Ball/KCP/Kuzma/Randle/Lopez gives us the best shot at doing that.

tada, lakerjones and Weezy like this.
  13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I thought Randle and Kuzma played well toegther. Granted its only 1 game and it was against the kings I think those guy's games fit great.

Barnstable and lakerjones like this.
  14. lakerjones

I'm more than fine with that lineup too. Mainly I do want Randle to start. I'm going to save total judgement until I finally see our projected starting lineup of Ball, KCP, Ingram, Randle and Lopez. I'm tired of Larry starting. He's doing nothing to keep that job. Kuz is playing better than Ingram it's true. And he might take Ingram's job. But first I want to see what we've got. It might be fine. I do like Kuz coming off the bench because he makes such an instant impact. Clarkson is supposed to do it but he's kind of a mess. Kuz has been superb as a sixth man.

Again, the take away for me last night was that yes, Randle can play small ball 5 alongside Kuzma and it can be very effective. That was cool to see. Just no Randle and Larry in at the same time. That's bad news.

Barnstable, Cookie and therealdeal like this.
  15. LaVarBallsDad

I don't like the Nance and Randle combination; they can't shoot. All that does is lead to no spacing and a clogged paint for our guards to work with; but let me present this scenario to you, LJ:

We start Nance, increase his trade value, and may potentially package him for a shooter(s) that we desperately need on this roster. We can slide Randle or Kuzma into the starting line-up if/when Larry is traded; thoughts?

16. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'd be against trading Nance. He's a glue guy that gets paid peanuts. We want those players on our team.

alam1108 likes this.
  17. therealdeal

It would depend on what we could get in return and I'm not sure we could get a whole lot...

Then again, if you could attach some of our young prospects with Deng and send him somewhere for an expiring... well then I'm game for it.

18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

the way Nance is playing, you'd be lucky to get a late 2nd pick for him

lakerjones likes this.
  19. LaVarBallsDad

Yeah, well, if Luke keeps him the starting 5, the hope is that playing with Ball and Lopez will help him look good, increase his trade value, and you can potentially get something for him...

20. LaVarBallsDad