Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

There's enough of a sample size there to know what he is on an X's and O's level, and he isn't great; his staff leaves a lot to be desired, too.

I understand the personnel is a challenge (lack of shooting), and that falls on Magic and Pelinka, so there is some blame there.

Not to worry, though; if the team isn't successful, I'm sure Lebron will start making his concerns public...

2. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    So, what are you saying about player development.... I think they have done a great job in that area. See Hart and Kuz as examples.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
    LTLakerFan and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

What I'm saying is this: Luke isn't a great X's and O's guy. I thought it would benefit him to do what Kerr did for instance when he got hired w/GS. He hired Ron Adams, and Alvin Gentry; both of which are responsible for schemes on both sides of the ball...

We'll see, though; maybe his playbook will develop as the season goes; last night left a lot to be desired, though.

LTLakerFan and Battle Tested20 like this.
  4. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I agree that x's and o's might not be Luke's strong points. He does run great out of bounds plays after a timeout. Pete and others who cover the team have noticed this too.

As for what you said about Ron Adams and Alvin Gentry, whether they were with Kerr or not they still had Curry, Klay, Draymond, and Barnes when Kerr first came there. Talent trumps a lot of things. Even great or average coaching assistants.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Really surprised they've ridden Liz at center this long. There's been zero affirming evidence of its efficacy.

Other than that, the schemes didn't alarm me. We knew the half court offense was lebron as soon as we filled out the roster with non-shooters.

I was actually pleasantly surprised they maintained the pace and got so many paint buckets despite Portland being clearly prepped for that game plan.

alam1108 likes this.
  6. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
  7. LaVarBallsDad

RE: your second point; they had some same players under Jackson, too; but when they changed coaches, the rings came.

Coaches matter; we see it in different sports, too. Look at the Rams as soon as they let go of Fisher especially in the respect when it came to unleashing Goff's talents; or a better example...I don't think Tatum or Brown look as good as they do without Stevens putting them in positions to succeed.

Weezy likes this.
  8. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I'm in total agreement that coaching matters. Goff and really that entire offense in how they were under Fisher compared to how they are now under McVay is a great example even if its a different sport.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  9. LaVarBallsDad

Exactly. So, we'll see what happens; I get unhinged in the GD thread because I'm emotional and love our Lakers. At the end of the day, though, I'm reasonable.

Let's see what happens...

10. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I told my friend after the first half with all my yelling and getting upset about the little things I saw we were doing wrong. If I'm this much of a wreck after one half of basketball in game 1 of 82. I'm in trouble... haha

It's great being good again after so long, but it also means taking in the game is that much more stressful AT TIMES. The double edged sword as they say.

11. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Moe is put together well. Has good calves. I'm a leg man. ;) Moe steals ball again like in SL along that incoming right sideline at 36 seconds and then lets out a Gasol worthy "emotiyell". I like it. He's effing close if they have him in 5 on 5 with contact now, and obviously see our gaping hole (pardon the expression) at the 5 after McGee goes out. I remain uber excited about Moe Wagner. He was killing it with flashes of potential and established game already in SL before he was injured.

12. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    The Jazz scored 81 on the Warriors in the first HALF. Maybe Kerr should be fired at halftime and replaced with someone that can coach defense.

13. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#seeingwhatyoudidthere

Kenzo, LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  14. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

While I get the sentiment, the statement is a bit disingenuous.

These are 3 time champs.

Kerr coached them in all of those. He gets a break. Puke doesn't.

15. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Exactly .The pb is the poor quality of the main assistants . You want some who are near head coach material , Shaw and Mermuys are useless.

This sums up perfectly the main remaining weakness of our organization as whole , start recruiting the best people available and not just ex Lakers

16. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Our roster is full of mediocre and "not what they are used to be" defenders

LTLakerFan likes this.
  17. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Why is it disingenuous?

[​IMG]

Dictionary.com: Disingenuous = lacking in frankness, candor, or sincerity; falsely or hypocritically ingenuous; insincere:

I think my post was anything but disingenuous. I think it is ridiculous that anyone would want Luke fired after one game with a brand new roster of players. That's as frank as I can be.

Kerr gets a break but Luke doesn't? You don't think it's a factor that Kerr has Curry, Durant, Klay, Draymond and Iggy? And with those same players Luke coached the Warriors to a record 24-0 start.

Switch Kerr to this team and what would happen? Pretty much what you see right now. It's a team of a bunch of players that have never played together before. LeBron says its going to take some time and patience. It would no matter who the coach is. Yet, you want Luke fired after one game.

Kou likes this.
  18. ZenMaster

ZenMaster - Lakers All Star -

I most certainly know what it means. Hence "a bit". Not meant to offend .

It referred to you obviously understanding that a champion isn't judged as harshly and as quickly as a loser, but chosing, for the sake of the argument to disregard that.

You can't possibly tell me that we should hold a championship coach to the same standards as the no-experience, failure of a player, only 2 years as an assistant nobody.

Yes, having all this guys help. Life isn't fair, though... and most people aren't judged by "what they could have done if...", But by what they did with what they have been dealt .

Walton didn't Excel in the same areas he is struggling right now.

Namely: making adjustments in lineups, figuring his players strengths and weaknesses and establishing some semblance of an offense that is not "run run run" .

19. TIME

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    How in the world is the offense a problem when the team scored 119 points? If they could score 119 in every game I would be over the top happy about the offense. The issue is the defense. If you want to criticize Luke for that, then I'm not going to argue. The team has a ton of room to improve on D.

But, Luke has done nothing after one game to warrant firing him. It's a ridiculous point of view to argue otherwise.

Magic, Rob, Kobe, Steve Kerr and Phil Jackson all believe Luke is a good coach with the potential to become a great coach. Is it possible that they see something you are missing?

20. LaVarBallsDad