Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Sorry I can never get behind these type of ceilings flat out proclaimed on young players (only Ingram has a shot to be better than Tatum) or in this case coaches (Luke will never be as good as Stevens) careers. You got a crystal ball in your pocket when their whole careers are ahead of them?

tada, revgen and Barnstable like this.
  2. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Great discussion in here...

My 2cents is that Luke is not a dope... He is dope! Obviously Stevens is killing it right now, but Luke's done an amazing job considering all the moving parts.

That's one thing we need to consider...Stevens has had a FO/ownership in place for years that has hired him. They are all like of mind and with Hayward, they brought in a player that had familiarity playing under Stevens in the past. Think of the type of player IT is compared to Ky. They both are scoring guards, so not much of an adjustment for Stevens there.

Meanwhile, Luke has had to see his previous employers let go and had to readjust to new ownership that didn't hire him. A new vision and approach had been put in place and as a result Luke has had to see a large roster overhaul that is still in flux (ie #2018plan).

Imho give Luke some stability and then we can truly gauge his performance to Stevens.

3. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Wait what? How can you make the claim that Luke will never be on Stevens level? Based on what evidence? There's no evidence at all to make this claim. Luke made massive strides with a very different team than Stevens has. When given a team with great talent, Luke had an amazing record up in Golden State.

Stevens's first year in Boston he won just 25 games. His second season he won 40 games. Is that really so different from what Luke did going 26 wins to 35 wins? Boston went from 27th in offensive rating and 18th in defensive rating Stevens's first year to 18th in offensive rating and 12th in defensive rating his second year. The Lakers were 24th in offensive rating and 30th in defensive rating his first year. We jumped to 23rd in offensive rating and 12th in defensive rating. Again, is that terribly different?

Stevens is a better coach right now, but he had years more experience in college and has been at this NBA coaching job already for 5 years. There's no way anyone can make a distinctive call on whether or not Luke will ever be anything as a head coach. He's doing fine.

As for how only Ingram has a shot to be better than Tatum, that's equally preposterous.

You say all their young players have a step on ours and then you cherry pick their best player. Does Jaylen Brown have a significant step up on Ingram? Their stats are extremely similar except Ingram is a way better passer than Jaylen. Tatum's numbers are nearly identical to Kuzma's with the exception of Tatum being a better defender, but Kuzma scored more points. Third year Rozier isn't close to Lonzo Ball's rookie season. Smart in his 4th year was slightly better than Hart in his first. Their young guys are good, but their faults are hidden by the All-Stars in front of them, something we're trying to duplicate this summer.

I don't know how you or @svtzr can claim any of this as fact. It's clearly opinion if you hold their youngsters and coach up on some pedestal above our own.

XXIV, tada, svtzr and 5 others like this.
  4. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I agree that Luke is a good coach, but he isn't on Stevens level, nor will he be, IMO. Stevens only competition for the best coach in the league is Pops. I agree that stability plays a role in that, but the dude lost his second best player in the first game of the season and lost his best player for the end of the season and playoffs. That messes a lot with stability. His system and the way he gets his players to buy in is why they're in the conference finals. Take Jaylen Brown and Marcus Smart and put them on other teams, I doubt they are near as effective.

5. therealdeal

I'm not disagreeing that Stevens is great. He's absolutely a fantastic coach.

I just don't see how anyone can say definitively that Luke cannot reach his level. There's simply not enough evidence to make that claim.

sirronstuff, revgen, TIME and 2 others like this.
  6. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I didn't say definitively. I said IMO. My opinion is anything but definitive. :D

TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  7. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Savs, I'm just saying you can't definitively (I wanted to use the word of the day too) compare Luke to Stevens till Luke gets the degree of stability that Stevens has had. I'm not diminishing Stevens in any way, other than being a dirty Cbag...

revgen, LTLakerFan and Barnstable like this.
  8. therealdeal

I missed the IMO. :D

But I meant more in general than just you. Two people in this thread just made that claim definitively and I don't get that.

revgen, Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    You lost me here.

Never is way too strong of a stance to have on Luke and the success he could one day reach given his years coaching. You known the great Coach K of Duke... his first 3 years of coaching at Duke were quite underwhelming to say the least:

upload_2018-5-10_10-16-28.png

He almost lost his job, but I'd say he turned out great. Now before you tell me that's college and its different in the NBA. I would just argue that success is never a straight line no matter where you coach. What has worked for Brad Stevens and the experience, which does matter, that he had at Butler mattered. Luke is his own man with his own strengths and weaknesses. The future is bright with him at the helm given that we surround him with the proper talent. I'd say they are both great communicators who has a gift for relationship building. Where Brad has the leg up IMO right now is on the fly coaching adjustments because Luke just hasn't had the number of coaching years under his belt that Brad has to build that strength up. But in due time he will.

revgen, Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Also it doesn’t matter how much we see Stevens and think he’s a good coach, I guarantee there were and probably still are some C bag fans calling for his resignation, saying he’s not as good as they thought and all kinds of silliness because that’s what fans do.

I remember in the Jackson years, winning championships and constant complaints about his rotations and such.

My point is it might look rosy from the outside, but there still are going to be complaints because no coach is perfect.

11. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Putting a cap on Luke and the Stevens comparison as a coach now is very much like saying Brandon Ingram is going to be the same player 3 more years from now as he is now. Or Lonzo. That statement of course assumes talent but Walton's young and has a great basketball mind, touted by no less than Pop, PJ and Kerr. He makes mistakes, you betcha. Frustrating ones that even we see. But he's a second year guy and he hears about those from his boss, Magic. That right there is big because the president of basketball is holding you accountable on a much more micro-managing scale than a guy who simply looks at the wins/losses. He will relax, become more confident, and those incidents will be less and less. But even more important than a basketball mind is to be able to get your players behind you and Luke has that. Basketball mind is great but I remember Kobe saying Byron had one of the keenest b-ball minds he'd ever seen while coaching us which meant precisely squat. I think any system will work assuming able players and if they buy into it and the coach. The Triangle worked for Phil but not Fisher, Rambis or Hornachek. Princeton worked for Adelman in Sac but not for Byron when he was here. The point is the pieces will come together for Luke's coaching ability but he has the inherent ability to lead and to get others to want to do well for him and that will carry him through these first couple of tough years. These guys are used to him now and vice versa. I expect to see a corner turned now a lot less noobishness all around and it all starts with coach. And a great 6'9" 20/6/5 veteran wing that can lock down defend, hit 3s, has foot speed, length, hits FTs, thrown into the mix would certainly make his day (hello MagRob).

12. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

I don’t think their players are better than ours. I even argued it’s fine to compare teams this season. I’d take our young guys over there’s everyday of the week.

I do think it’s fair to say in the present day, Stevens is the superior coach. I think Luke has a fair way to go to be elite and that’s not guaranteed because there are very few elite coaches - can’t just extrapolate growth out. Just because Stevens did it doesn’t mean that Luke will.

13. therealdeal

It also doesnt mean Luke wont. You cant definitively say either way, but based on the evidence, Luke is doing very well.

14. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

Absolutely true. I’m happy with Luke and happy to have him for the next couple of years to see where he can get to.

Also when I said that it was nice and succinct, I was more commenting on how quickly he got his point across while I was busy writing essays :D

15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    Luke = our "Jerry Sloan"

Might as well get used to him and any deficiencies for the next 20-30 years.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    If we want to continue this trend, which I think we should in order to be successful long term, Randle is a must have on this team.

17. jbiggs

jbiggs - Rookie -

Event Operations for the San Diego Padres
    likely smokes some dope too

18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
  19. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Pass that Sirron. LT is on deck.

20. Battle Tested20