Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

HA! That was fun to see. He's a force out there and you can see how much he loves competition. So happy we have this guy.

:Headbang:

2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    RJ still looks a little feminine in shorts for whatever reason lol

3. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    Must be the first time Luke is like one of the more athletic guys playing the game :Fishwink:

4. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

I'm calling it a 20" vertical. Not bad on sand. Not that it gets any higher on hardwood. I just find myself watching this and going..here comes the injury..and we won't be able to trade his stupid contract yet again this year....

ZenMaster and LTLakerFan like this.
  5. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

So after 2 seasons, whats the verdict so far on Luke?

6. SFGOLDRUSHER

SFGOLDRUSHER - Lakers Starter -

Master Optimist.
    Coming along well? Let's add a star or two and see what happens?

7. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

:Laughingcop:

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  8. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Luke adjusted well after December. During December, I was all but ready to peace him out for Jay Wright.

alam1108 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. Alcindor

26-56
    35-47

Ultimately, it's the only way he should be judged.

revgen likes this.
  10. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Early on he was driving me insane with his bad lineups and benching of Randle (though some of the Randle scarcity could well have been from the FO directive), but later he seemed to get more intuitive and sharper about his lineups. He really improved our defense which was great to see. 35 wins with the amount of injuries we had was also a rock solid improvement and 9 more than last year.

11. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Not to mention with a makeshift roster where most of the talent was under 24 years old. After a bumpy start, Luke found his groove and the team of misfits bought in. He did a great job.

12. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Slow...but steady improvement.

Luke has proven that he can actually coach. Not just manage a veteran team like he did in Golden State. That was knock on him when he signed here. He's proven the doubters wrong IMO.

13. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    I think he and his coaching staff have developed our players well. Looking at what Bryan did with Ingram and his shot over last off-season I'm anxious to see how they continue to develop with our coaches.

But as others have mentioned. You don't win in this league without talent. Popovich will be the first to tell you that it's about the players. Let's hope Luke gets some real talent this off-season to go with our very promising young core. We already know Luke can manage and coach great players with his year of head coaching experience with the Warriors and the strong respect those players had for Luke

14. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    I remember all the backlash like it was yesterday...
    [​IMG]

15. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Easily could have been a .500 season...that December swoon, the injuries, the trade, horrendous free throw shooting and that Lillard guy.

16. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    Ultimately....yes. But that time hasn't come yet. To me he had a difficult job in trying to win to attract FAs and at the same time prioritize youth development and possibly lose.

With that said I don't think he did too great. He didn't handle Russell the right way, he didn't handle Randle the right way, nor did I feel that he handled Zubac particularly well. On the other hand his favorites (Lonzo, Ingram) could do no wrong and getting minutes regardless of their play.

As a coach, you must be able to adjust to your players and handle them according to their personality, no matter how difficult they might be. His sub patterns could drive you insane, his in game adjustments sometimes could be head scratching...

With all that said, he had a very difficult task and I would say our youth players have developed just fine looking back. So there is a chance that behind closed doors, his actions were necessary/warranted. We will never fully know how good a coach by judging him based on what we see on the court because we don't see the off court stuff or locker room stuff to fully understand.

I would give him a B honestly. I'm happy with him right now.

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  17. svtzr

svtzr - Lakers Starter -

So far I rate him as decent. He turned around our defence a lot this season which is crucial for the future and the reason why I believe our record improved. If we had been a little more healthy, I think we could of made a run towards 40 wins.

He is middle of the pack coach currently with potential.

When I compare him to the other young coach in the league in Brad Stevens - he has a long way to go.

18. Alcindor

26 to 35 wins is an 11% increase and about half the distance to a playoff spot, he is trending upwards. Season to season trend of wins on a graph is a big statistic for a new coach with a team of new guys that the FO look at. And if MagRob gave us 2 star FAs last summer and we still only produced 35 wins Luke would find himself playing volleyball year round. I just mean by that comment, it's a tough-love "what have you done for me lately" league. Luke knows it, and everyone is watching that wins/losses closely regardless of whether we land any new FAs this summer.

Regarding subs and whatnot I think Luke really tried to establish an attitude of "I don't care if we win, if you don't play with our team ball plan or play D I will sub you out, put you with the bench" etc etc I think he was trying real hard to put some accountability in and that's fine with me, I don't care for the D'Antoni (everyone's my buddy") player's coach style, I think Luke is trying to balance that. Like Pop but he's learning and got a ways to go obviously. I'm good with Luke. When I saw him do some crazy sub I would just say to myself "there is a reason here I'm not seeing..there is a reason..."

revgen and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. KB24

Certified Tax Advisor
    ^I didn't disagree with you. Ya, sometimes we don't know whats going on. What the reasoning is behind the decisions being made.

Obviously we have improved but considering how young we are, anything else would be mind boggling. I expect us to make a move to above 40 wins even with the exact same roster because of the internal growth. We might have even reached 40 wins this season without all the injuries to Thomas, Ingram, Lonzo and the benching of Julius early in the season and KCPs suspension and what not.

I think we did as good as we could have expected honestly from a winning perspective.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  20. SFGOLDRUSHER

Master Optimist.
    Don't forget the trade too. Clarkson and Nance played roles on this team and stayed healthy.

LTLakerFan and jbiggs like this.