Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. TheGreatOneKobe

TheGreatOneKobe - Rookie -

Help me understand something please...

I'm preaching that we keep our pick and develop our young core but the majority of you are like "I'D TRADE THIS WHOLE ROSTER"
    So what the hell is this random exception when it comes to Luke??? So you're all willing to "grow" with Luke but when it comes to our core it's "F THEM ALL, LETS TRADE FOR VETS!"

Why don't our players get the same leash you're clearly willing to give Luke?? This community wants "WIN NOW" players but its ok with a "growing" coach SMH

2. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

When did anyone say trade the whole roster? All I've ever heard is if the right deal presents itself make a move for a star player.

Me personally I don't wanna trade Julius or D-Lo unless we get a superstar.

I'm cool with trading the pick and Clarkson for Jimmy.

I'm also perfectly cool with keeping the young core in tact and finally starting the rebuild process.

3. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I'm confident we'll get a good staff. Certainly it will be an improvement over Byron's.

I've pretty much been saying to keep our young core together all year. I certainly have been against every trade rolled out there accept Jimmy Butler.

Weezy likes this.
  4. ElginTheGreat

The other candidates were no more prepared for a full time head coaching job than Luke is. Can't believe this. Has barely been coach for an hour and we're already having to talk some of you guys off the ledge.

Again. Don't jump. We're gonna be okay.

5. Jazzygirl205

Jazzygirl205 - Rookie -

We have a lot of work to do. I trust Luke will help with the process.

lakerjones and Chillbongo like this.
  6. Chillbongo

Chillbongo - Lakers 6th Man -

I agree with rev and abeer. We need to be lights out on assistants. I hope part of the offer was Lakers get input on Luke's coaching staff.

We need a defensive mastermind and an X's and O's genius on this staff, preferably vets.

Barnstable, revgen and Weezy like this.
  7. ElginTheGreat

And I can't say enough that we probably still have Byron as coach if Luke doesn't give the front office some kind of signal that he was willing to sign with us. Luke vs another year of Byron. This was a no brainer.

8. TheGreatOneKobe

LOL!!!!!!!!! So you're saying we need to cover up for everything our amazing coach lacks

Chillbongo likes this.
  9. ElginTheGreat

I actually like the thought of bringing in Brian Shaw. There have been several good names thrown out there.

lakerjones likes this.
  10. Chillbongo

Just in case Luke all of a sudden needs a spinal infusion, you know

;)

TheGreatOneKobe likes this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

I honestly think Walton's grasp of X's and O's is being heavily slept on. He was fine calling and designing plays with the Warriors. He'll have to adapt with our guys and the results certainly won't be the same right off the bat, but I don't get why folks seem to think he is so lacking in that area.

Toklat, SamsonMiodek and lakerjones like this.
  12. Chillbongo

@ElginTheGreat It's not that he's lacking I've just never heard him talk about it. I absolutely give him credit for his work in GS but it was Kerr's system, not Luke's. Luke is a great game manager but I haven't seen him install his own offense. I'm very OK with him proving me wrong on this btw.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  13. ElginTheGreat

I get that and I can see him having some things to work on while installing the offense, but I don't see any reason why he can't. That's my main thought here.

14. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not "folks". One designated "pee" er in the other 99.99% of Lakers nation's cornflakes. The one cat who knows better that everyone else including Warriors, Knicks, Kings, Lakers organizations.... how the hiring of Luke "sucks".

:SadPau2:

15. VinMillerHearn24

VinMillerHearn24 - Rookie -

We're going to sign Walton, so now we start fresh.

Everyone will have their doubts, it's a given, he's a new coach, brand new to being a full time head coach, on his own away from Kerr and the Warriors. We have to let the process happen. We don't know what he truly has until maybe after the first year. I'm happy with the hire, and I'm looking forward to what we have in store.

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Lakers2015

17. TheGreatOneKobe

Saw this on Reddit, agree with this guy lol

Amatayo 0 points 7 minutes ago

Think about this, Luke can bring the offensive and defensive philosophy that he has (oh wait he has none)

Well he can execute the offense like in golden state where the PF pushes in and kicks the ball out. (Oh wait we don't have one with a natural passing ability)

We can still spread the floor and use 3's to kill the competition (oh we don't have incredible shooters like curry or klay)

Well we can have the defense like golden state which Luke brought in (oh crap that was something Mark Jackson installed)

Well we got luke for his name, love of the game, history with the franchise and many rings. (Oh wait that doesn't translate into wins)

Hmmmm why did we hire this guy.

18. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Dude! You got me laughing while I was trying to eat. Made me potentially choke. I wanted to give Scott a chance. If you'll that thread that @CaCHooKa Man posted I was in that thread constantly complaining. As a matter of fact, I went through that thread 3 weeks ago.

This hire is much different. I'll be the first to say we will go through ups and downs with Luke; however the positives outweigh the negatives.

Just the schematic changes ALONE make us a better team by 10-12 wins. No complaining here. We knocked out the hire; now, assemble a great staff, and head into the lottery.

lakerjones and ElginTheGreat like this.
  19. Lakers2015

Not sure why'd you post that because nobody is gonna take that opinion seriously. I mean he actually said Luke has no philosophy really? Of course he does. Anyone who paid attention to Luke's career knows he's a brilliant basketball mind who knows the game about as well as anyone. That's why he lasted so long in the NBA. Seriously that's not a very well thought out post. No we don't have Draymond Green. We have Randle who us the ability to push the ball and is getting better at making decisions and we also have D'Angelo who can initate the offense. Luke also understands how important defense is. Even though he was never a good defender it was because of lack of quickness not because of technique. He'll hire some great assistants to help him that's a given. Should be some that are defensive guys that can help teach this young team.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  20. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I'm really not sure why this post is directed at me, or feels so angry. I said this is a rebuild and I said we need patience. I, for one, have not suggested trading our core. I want Russ, Randle, and JC here, and if we get that pick I want Ingram or Simmons unless you can get someone great by trading it. I'm iffy on trading the pick for Butler combined with anyone but JC. I DO NOT WANT Cousins at all. And my expectations for free agency don't include Durant. I'd be happy to get a DeRozan, Batum, Barnes, Whiteside. I'm not in win-now mode, that's not realistic IMO. This is a rebuild, a process, to unfortunately quote Hinkie, Luke is a good choice to get in on the ground floor of this rebuild and grow with this team. We didn't win a title from 1989-2000, this could be that type of situation, we need to start somewhere. We need a fresh start, and I think this a very good one. If it doesn't work, we aren't worse off than we were. But again, you're coming off as angry, and that I don't really get. People here like this choice, I'm one of them, that can obviously change with time.