Ex-Coach Luke Walton Discussion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by YoungThundercat, Apr 29, 2016.

1. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

That would be my issue with him too. Otherwise, he can coach.

2. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

He further added to this

And someone else said in the comments that looking at Russ and Randle’s current seasons, they fear Ball and Ingram doing better whenever they would be traded as well. It’s hard for me to argue against that. Sure most of it is on the players, but some has got to be on the staff and coaching, it has to be. How they’re used, what they’re taught, the good habits they learn and the bad ones they are supposed to not repeat over and over and over. Part of me wonders if a player like Russell just needed more time, or if a new environment plus the motivation of being dissed as not a “leader” by Magic are factors. Part of me wonders if we shouldn’t have looked at a player like Randle who DID up his scoring average, shooting percentages, and defense every season with us, a player who truly did develop into something fairly reliable, as so expendable.

Yeah his agent was a moron, but with hindsight now I’m not sure what Ingram did to earn an untouchable tag over what Randle was bringing for us. Sure he had nights where he didn’t play hard and had really boneheaded mistakes, but what player doesn’t. I was talking in game time chat about us lacking any young players with swagger and a killer mentality aside from Kuz, and Randle had that, he wanted to bully guys, go through guys, go on scoring tears and he DID make some big plays to win games for us, like the one where he scored on Philly repeatedly to finish a game. I wonder if we’re prioritizing the right things here or if we’re instead trying to fit some Warriors model that we really can’t reach.

Also, someone pointed out for example that LeBron is playing less minutes, but with our pace he’s playing more possessions than he has since like ‘05/‘06. He’s 34, that’s not sustainable. I don’t know what the fix is here, but Luke doesn’t seem to either, and it can’t be just as simple as LeBron coming back to carry everyone, he can only do that for so much longer before he breaks, a better coach would find a way to maximize him with less workload. This is all going to end badly if something isn’t done to correct this, this is an instance where you can truly say LeBron does need more help, and I don’t think Luke is the guy for the job. I don’t think Thibs is either though, unless we want LeBron playing 45 mins per game.

tada, lakerjones, bfc1125roy and 5 others like this.
  3. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I hope you're kidding.

4. Big Mamma Jamma

Big Mamma Jamma - Rookie -

I agree with this. Thibs is definitely not the guy. I think he's done. He has the same pattern everywhere he's been.

We really need another star that can help shoulder the load. That is the issue. I think Magic and Rob thought the kiddies would take another step where the Lakers as an organization could be patient on selecting that next star. But, looking at the issues we have now, there is no doubt that the kiddies haven't progressed enough. Moreover, the injuries are exacerbating the situation... I think we look worse than we actually are but unfortunately it is what it is.

I think if us armchair GMs can just admit that the front office whiffed on the BI pick and the Lonzo pick, then we can feel better about our situation. I said this in the game time thread but I think Lonzo will be out of the league in a couple of years. His issues are more than just shooting... they run far deeper... he doesn't have the mental fortitude to make it. BI in the right situation can be a serviceable starter but he isn't an all-star.

tada and Khmrp like this.
  5. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

zo pop on top of his gm pretty much gives him no value anywhere

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I think the answer to the development is that they got it in college during those extra years.

Completely agree with everything else.

7. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

Unfortunately, Thibs was born a little too late for this era. He would have been great in the 80s. Players now are giant twats and cant handle discipline or hard coaches. Only way he could have gotten away with it is if he had a Tim Duncan on the team. That's about it.

John3:16 and Big Mamma Jamma like this.
  8. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

So are the players not bringing passion because they have given up on the coach? Do they just not have the passion at all? What’s he saying here really? I’m not sure you can teach passion for the game, you either have it or you don’t. So either they don’t have it in them, or they don’t want to play for this guy, I don’t know. At this moment though, Ingram looks like he plays basketball because he’s tall, and Zo looks like he plays because that’s what his dad bred him to do, I don’t see the passion Luke is talking about either. To be fair I didn’t see it in Russ either, he coasted and goofed off a lot, but he seems to have found at least some of it now. Randle had a lot of it, Kuz certainly has it, Hart has it even though he’s in a slump.

tada, TIME and alam1108 like this.
  9. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

Well said. Kuzma is an exception, but these two really play like they don't care that much very often. And that's too bad.

TIME and Kenzo like this.
  10. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Lack of passion I think is actually them completely feeling defeated and unsure of themselves. It's not apathy, imo. Give the ball to lebron and go stand in the corner, lack of development behind the scenes (as alluded to by LFR), plus mind boggling roles they're being asked to play...resulting in repeated failure, has sucked their self confidence (free throw misses) and love of the game.

Cookie, LTLakerFan, Khmrp and 3 others like this.
  11. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    And?

:Laugh:

John3:16 likes this.
  12. LTLakerFan

I'll take Rondo's evaluation of loving to play for Walton and his style of coaching over now supposing the kids might not want to play for him. Sounds like LaVar last year.

TIME and Kenzo like this.
  13. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

sirronstuff, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  14. LTLakerFan

Seriously, bring in MWP's gal for a general talk to the team. They bring in all other types and she did wonders for his issues.

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I dont care about luke ability to manage a locker room...simply put the offense is crap even when everyone was healthy. It basically just James taking majority of the attention away from youth and role players but nothing was easy for these guys. Thus the loses early to the likes of Orl, Bk, mem, etc. with James healthy. The offense doesn't work well period when they dont get out in transition and thats clearly a system problem, a problem that luke has not solved in all 3 of his yrs here so far.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    sirronstuff and alam1108 like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

James is going to play LBJ ball and they have to fit in including every coach he's ever had. Need to figure out how and when and where to move and be when he goes into ISO mode. Which of course we need too often. Agree with Cranjis completely above. Bring in and pay better assistents. The positives Luke brings are extremely important. And it's not like he too can't continue to get better.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
    sirronstuff and TIME like this.
  17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

In the past I'd have been in favor of going after Thibs, but I agree with Weezy, I don't think he's the right fit at all. Luke has at least been keeping Lebron's minutes down and has some rapport with the youngsters. And you all know I'm not big on Walton so I'm not giving a glowing review to him in anyway. I don't think either Walton or Thibs is the answer going forward. It makes no sense for us to swap them at this point, IMO. Let's play out the year, see who we get in FA/trade and go from there.

sirronstuff, TIME and LTLakerFan like this.
  18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I remember Del Harris, who had injured players after injured players but got the reserves playing great in the early mid 90s, Eddie went down Peeler played well in his place etc etc, they still played well...I was hoping Luke can do that but losing to the Knicks ripped apart that fantasy lol

sirronstuff likes this.
  19. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

Hire Thibs as defensive coordinator.

20. LTLakerFan

A lot of this is on Lonzo not walking his talk and the old man's hype ..... consistently. 4 shots and zero points are you kidding me. 1-10 run on FT's are you kidding. I still think he's going to be a hell of a player and is in flashes now. The completions consistently at the rim will come and he's already coming up with more variety, if not actual floaters in close range. The FTs too. I think Magic himself ought to rip the team as a whole on those so they're worried enough to shoot hundreds or a thousand or whatever on their own time.

wallangong likes this.