Clips: Grif breaks hand on equipment manager's face (34)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by revgen, May 18, 2015.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    in two years...we need the players to acclimatize with Luke's system the first year.

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

The Lakers have a long way to go before I want to make that call...

BUT this team is poised for a huge fall. It's a mistake not to trade away at least one of those "big three" this summer. DeAndre has plateaued, Griffin is on shaky ground, and Chris Paul's value will never be higher than it is today. He was relatively healthy and had a strong season. I don't think that happens next season. In fact, next season both Griffin and Paul expire even.

I'd cut and run now, but no way Doc gives up good players to be a rebuilding team when he has to be the coach AND general manager.

gcclaker and revgen like this.
  3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

Doc's stubbornness is going to set the Clippers back a decade or so if they don't blow it up this summer. If they lose Cp3 and BG next summer with no compensation, they'll be in an even worse position than the Lakers were when pau and dwight left with no compensation. They need to seriously evaluate trading all these guys because they don't have the cap space or the pieces to improve over the summer in a dramatic enough way to surpass GS or San Antonio (and for that matter, if OKC returns the same team, they won't pass them either). Luckily for the C Bags, they didn't have Doc as their GM, so they were smart to jettison off KG, Pierce and Rondo for picks and young players to jumpstart their rebuilding process. And let's be honest....KG/Pierce/Rondo is nowhere NEAR the value that BG/Cp3/DJ could fetch in the open market as far as picks and young players go. Clippers need to be smart here about their rebuild because Cp3 and BG have those player options and they'll surely opt out...and losing even ONE of them is going to cripple their franchise if they get nothing in return.

revgen likes this.
  4. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

The time to cut and run was last season. All of the three core players' value has dropped significantly since last season. CP3 is injury prone and getting older. Griffin has emotional insecurity issues. DJ's fiasco with Dallas last offseason turned off owners and GM's who the Clippers might want to trade him to.

Their only real hope is possibly trading CP3 to Cleveland for Irving if they lose to San Antonio or Golden State again. But I'm not even sure Cleveland is desperate enough to do that deal. Irving is averaging 26ppg/5.4apg/1.2 spg in this postseason so far. He's only 24 years old.

therealdeal, gcclaker and Weezy like this.
  5. fabfourlakers

I think that's exactly what could happen....Cp3 straight up for Irving. Then, maybe the Cavs also unload Love for Melo...and D-Wade signs on the cheap with the Cavs next year? Lol...ok getting ahead of myself...no way D-Wade takes that big of a pay cut

But yeah I think The KANG will call the shots once again and having that player option is key....he'll hold Cleveland hostage again and say if they don't get Cp3, he's opting out.

I think BG and Cp3 still hold significant value....and DJ had himself a nice season. Teams are going to line up to get these guys so it'll be a bidding war to get these guys. Just keep in mind, BG and Cp3 are two of the most marketable players in the league and they're in like every damn commercial...so teams are going to be thinking about putting butts in seats too and what kind of impact that'll have for their bottom line. You won't take into account JUST their play on the court....you have to look at the whole package.

revgen likes this.
  6. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

It really was. After that epic collapse to Houston everyone could see that this team was never going to get it done, they did not have what it takes as is. But, I'm sure they looked at it like they were so close, and if they stayed together, all it would take was a key injury to GS or SA and they'd have a shot.

lakerjones, therealdeal and revgen like this.
  7. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Sure, there will be some teams that will want them, but I doubt there will be many teams offering equal value in return.

8. fabfourlakers

By equal value you mean players that are just as good as Cp3 and BG right? I agree on that...but the Clippers would be making the trade for the future...only "equal value" trades that could happen (but most likely won't) are Cp3 for Kyrie and BG for KD. other than that....the CLippers are going to get draft picks and young players for Cp3 and BG. Those are the deals they should expect to receive.

9. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

And this is where having Doc as your coach and GM fails. Their core 3's values are shot and the way they handled DJ is gonna come back and bite.

revgen likes this.