Clips: Grif breaks hand on equipment manager's face (34)

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by revgen, May 18, 2015.

1. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

They seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

It's their 4th postseason in a row and they've still yet to get past the 2nd round.

The good news for them is that it looks like San Antonio and perhaps Dallas may be heading to the pasture pretty soon unless either of them can steal a superstar.

The bad news is that the younger teams like the Warriors, Thunder, Rockets, Pelicans, Grizzlies, and Trailblazers aren't going away anytime soon as long as they keep their rosters intact. The Clippers have lost postseason series' to the Grizzlies, Thunder, and Rockets in the past 4 postseasons. Teams they beat 1 year ago, the Warriors, have significantly improved while the Clippers look like the same team from 4 seasons ago, still stuck in 1st round/2nd round purgatory.

Doc told the press that he thinks they can improve by adding/subtracting role players. The Clippers have been adding and subtracting role players around their 3 core players for the last 4 seasons, and nothing has really changed. At what point do Doc and the Clippers FO admit that the core group may be the issue?

2. John3:16

John3:16 Moderator Staff Member

CEO - Big Baller Brand
    Barnes is one of their key subs / role players. That has to change. He's high energy, but his jumper is broken. Bench needs major improvements.

$2 Billion doesn't get you what it used to.

3. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

4. The Original 81

The Original 81 - Rookie -

Clips are an embarrassment to the city of Los Angeles. At least when we blew a 3-1 lead, we had a pathetic roster AND we didn't have homecourt advantage so it made it at least somewhat acceptable. To be up double digits in the 4th quarter and at home and blow it, WITH Harden on the bench. There's no justifying that.

I'm not sure where they go from here rev. You outlined it pretty well, they've lost to 3 different teams and there are more than a few younger teams on the rise. I don't think simply adding and subtracting role players is good enough. I think they need to trade either Blake or DeAndre.

Barnstable, revgen and lakerjones like this.
  5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

[​IMG]

Battle Tested20 likes this.
  6. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, I think it will take a couple more failing seasons, but I think Ballmer should move them to Seattle and become a hometown hero. They'll always be the tenants down the hall at Staples. This complete meltdown didn't help them one bit in that respect.

Regarding their roster and improvement, I think they are somewhat stuck. They have to pay Jordan max to keep him and they can't really afford to let him go. But that's a flawed big three with little money to go anywhere else like SF. Maybe we should trade them Swaggy P so he can stay in LA.

LTLakerFan and revgen like this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

The Rockets move onto the Golden State Warriors in the Western Conference finals, and the Clippers move into the summer with an anvil hanging over the franchise. DeAndre Jordan will become an unrestricted free agent, and it'll take a five-year, $100 million max contract to re-sign him.

The Dallas Mavericks are chief among several significant suitors, and the questions for Jordan are these: Does he want a larger offensive role elsewhere, and does he think the organization can win a championship with the co-existence of Paul and Griffin?

"You can't take anything for granted, but DJ loves being a Clipper," Rivers told Yahoo. "DJ loves being here. We have an amazing relationship."
    Once the Clippers make him the franchise's third max player, they're paralyzed to make the roster much better. Nevertheless, Rivers insists the Clippers don't need an overhaul of the Big Three, but an upgrade of the role players surrounding them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/after-...clippers-are-back-on-the-brink-043705162.html

LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.
  8. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

the future? more selfies and 2nd round banners?

puffyusaf#2, John3:16 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Their future is second round exits for a long time. They're in BIG trouble. Like you said they've been building around this core now for years and have gotten nowhere. This looked like their breakthrough and... kaput.

- Right now they've got about 60 million dollars guaranteed WITHOUT the DeAndre Jordan contract/cap hold. They've got 5+ in Hawes (for a few more years actually). They've got a 2+ million cap hold in Rivers. I could see them releasing Crawford honestly and waiving their Bird Rights to him, but the moral of the story is that they've got very limited funds.

- Their best bet is waiving their Bird Rights to Jordan and letting him go. Waive the rights to Crawford. They've still got Farmar on the books unless his buyout means his contract doesn't count against the cap. Waive the rights to Rivers. Then they'd have roughly 12-14 million to spend on free agents. Go hard after Tyson Chandler who could honestly be had for probably 8-9 million. He comes home, plays with CP again, and brings a championship attitude. The rest of the money needs to go to a backup PG like Mo Williams or Jeremy Lin. Other names like Jameer Nelson and CJ Watson might be a little cheaper. Then use a couple exceptions to fill in the blanks with guys like Wes Johnson and Richard Jefferson.

Weezy and revgen like this.
  10. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Juronimo and therealdeal like this.
  11. SamsonMiodek

SamsonMiodek - Lakers 6th Man -

Family guy
    All jokes aside, as asinine as it may sound, maybe trading CP3 would be the best thing to do. While both Blake and DJ seem to have made some progress and have improved their game compared to last year, he's still the same immensely talented player who for some reason prefers flopping to actually trying to win the game by beating the opponent in the game of basketball. And he's still clearly the leader of that team while it seems it's time to, as some might say, pass the torch to Blake.

Most probably they won't get equal talent if they decide to trade him, but to me it seems the right move long term

12. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

Juronimo likes this.
  13. gcclaker

Woj who I respect the hell out of as a writer...wrote that the Clippers are on the brink even after this season's flameout. Brink of what I ask? Who knows... All the better squads below them have improved with better leadership, mentality and coaching. Don't count out San Antonio even if they appear to be ready for Assisted Living confinement or Dallas with Cuban still managing their organization.

Meanwhile, a big 'ole Purple and Gold Bear is hibernating and could be waking up any time soon.

Barnstable likes this.
  14. therealdeal

We could wake up tomorrow! Or we could have our cave cave in...

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  15. JSM

JSM - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

Doc and CP3 have a lot of explaining to do on the colossal collapse. Both of them should be put on notice. One of the bigs has to go for pieces. Letting either walk doesn't do them much good. Honestly, they need a deal like OKC got for Jackson. If they could get 3-4 solid rotation, team first guys and a pick or two; that's the route I'd take.

gcclaker, revgen and therealdeal like this.
  16. LTLakerFan

For the sake of conversation, real, you put out better advice for the tenants than what Rivers and Ballmer likely have in their collective heads. The may both LURK here for crissakes [​IMG] ...... and get helpful ideas. Makes me a little nervous. [​IMG]

therealdeal likes this.
  17. LTLakerFan

No reflection to you gcc, at all [​IMG] and yeah that would make me smile even more in my "pile on" mindset right now. But what a puss article (unless my rapid read missed some meat) that offers no context on what the falling out might be? WOJ still "reports". Big Nasty Joe McDonnell was a "reporter" with sources as well. Too much we get this kind of (??).

18. therealdeal

lol my bad man you're right.

Here's what you do Clippers: send Paul to Detroit for Caldwell-Pope and a 1st rounder. And then send Giffin to Miami for Deng/Napier. GO!

lakerjones and LTLakerFan like this.
  19. therealdeal

Nepotism at its finest!

20. gcclaker

It's cool LJ. No it was speculative...or could be a shot in the dark too BUT here's one:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ure-holding-them-back-from-postseason-success

Ding! Ding! Ding! That one I posted was just a knee-jerk reaction plumbing for Clipper misery. It was probably touched off on something. This BRR one has some meat. Like the old saying goes "where there's smoke...there's fire."

revgen, LTLakerFan and lakerjones like this.