Byron Scott Wants Lakers To Average 10 To 15 Three-point Shots A Game

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by lakerswiz, Oct 8, 2014.

1. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

When you post there's a little smiley face button on the tool bar. :party::party::party::party:

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Yeah it turns out that we did really well statistically from the three point line.

3. LakerFanIam

LakerFanIam - Lakers 6th Man -

Swaggy's injury might help him stay at this number for awhile...

4. SR05

SR05 - Rookie -

as long as it's naturally through the offense and not consciously limiting things then fine...10 seems pretty low though. i agree with doc, 20 seems more realistic

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  6. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Balance is what's needed, but Byron's number is probably an over-correction. Personally I think he is doing that on purpose though in order to get the team in the mindset of attacking the basket. When all is said and done we probably average 18 or so, which is fine.

Slowing the game down also makes tons of sense when Kobe, Nash, and Boozer are out there. D'Antoni's plan to run all the time with vets like Pau, Nash, and Kobe wasn't smart, add in a Dwight that thinks he's a traditional, back to the basket center despite every stat imaginable screaming he's not and the plan went from "not smart" to just plain suicidal.

Byron has to get the D'Antoni ball out of their system and then he can loosen the reigns a bit for more threes and for the second unit to truly get out and run.

Gotta love how from day 1 Kobe was establishing himself in the post and defensive rotations were clearly ephasized. So far so good for Byron...might not be the greatest coach in the world but he is going to help.

The Showtime Mamba likes this.
  7. magic2mamba

magic2mamba - Rookie -

8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    For anyone concerned by Byron's comments about the 3 point attempts he wants to see I don't think he'll mind it if we're a little higher than that at times during the season. As ofter members on this forum have already stated its all about reading the defense and trying to have some sort of balance and I think that will happen especially with all the ball movement that the Princeton Offense allows.

9. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

The number of threes doesn't matter ... how these are created/come from DO ... if threes come from an inside-outside game and/or ball movement , I have no pb with our team shooting 20+ a game .

The current NBA is hard to watch because a lot of teams are chucking threes early in the shot clock with zero ball movement and in iso situations.

Spurs are relying on the three ball a good deal but if a player is randomly chucking a three 5 seconds into the possession , he's going to the bench after the next whistle

10. Kenzo

Kenzo - Lakers All Star -

I'm not sure i trust referees as much as Byron does ;)

11. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Yeah you have to "earn" your reputation as a good defensive team ... if you just commit a lot of fouls as the latest Sloan Jazz teams but aren't considered as a good defensive team , you're going to get called for lots of fouls ... unlike the Rivers Celtpricks teams which were able to get away with a lot of "physical play" .

12. kobe5

kobe5 - Rookie -

10-15 would be near the bottom/at the bottom of the league and go against the advantages that making threes give you.

Would hope that we won't stick to that come the season...ultimately, everyone adjusts their plans once the season starts. Unless you are the rare team that just dominates everyone.

13. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    25 to 15 is a huge change, but our personnel has changed greatly as well.
    Shooting a great % on threes though, even if we'd shot 40%, still meant that 60% of 25 shots - or 15 times per game - we were giving up the possibility of a fast break off a miss. We were a horrendous team in transition last year. We had injuries, went to deep minutes for players unaccustomed to them, and saw more injuries. So those problems were compounded.

I'm going to choose to take away this for now: the physical brand of ball is great, and I like the way Byron is putting it out there. We SHOULD shoot fewer threes because we have more ways to score, and we will have several really good passers on the floor at times (Nash, Lin, Kobe at least). I don't know about 10-15, but I'm looking forward to fewer.

lakerjones likes this.
  14. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

I don't think 10 is enough. 15 threes would be a good start, 20+ is too many. We have Lin, Nash, Young, Wes, Kobe etc. Those guys should be shooting some threes.

Snake Eyes likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

With a bleeding hole in his butt cheek.

16. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Being balanced is key. 10 is too little, and I don't think Byron is so inflexible that he's going to hold to that number. He'll find a balance with this roster and figure it out.

17. puffyusaf#2

puffyusaf#2 - Lakers Starter -

Author of "Just a Thought"
    I am never a fan of putting a # on what we should be doing. A few years ago we were just taking 3's because it was the fun thing to do. Last year (even though it was painful) we took much more effective 3's within the flow of the game. I do like the idea that we want to attack the paint and get the higher quality shots but we need to, as many have said, have balance. They can shoot 1 or 30 for all I care as long as we are winning and neither become the norm.

trodgers and abeer3 like this.
  18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

yep. I like the scott is sticking with the "tough it up" theme, which is decidedly anti-dantoni (and thus great). however, pinpointing numbers is silly. I think simply stating that the team won't just take the first available three (like, say, Houston) is a statement of philosophy that will suffice.

I do wonder whether publicizing the strategy of foul fatigue is a the right way to approach it. jerry sloan and hubie brown certainly pioneered this--and it does work. but can you explicitly state it to the press and not expect ref blowback? I mean, james harden is never going to say to a reporter "well, I just like to get a step on my guy then toss my body into whatever's there whilst flailing my arms. 9 times out of 10, they'll call a foul out of sheer awkwardness".

Punk-101 and trodgers like this.
  19. XXIV

XXIV - Rookie -

I understand not wanting to shoot an insane amount of threes, but aiming for a certain number per game isn't all that smart. You have to take what the offense gives you and some days that might be shooting a good amount of open threes.

20. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    This reminds me of when Kobe went to PJ and said he wanted to average (I think) 2 steals a game and Jackson was bothered. (Then again, he gave either Kwame or Bynum a piece of paper with a number of rebounds on it...10/game I think.)

Numbers are not the goal; unless it's "more points than they score," it's not going to get it done. Play ball the right way, and those things will work themselves out - if you have the talent. I take it that's BScott's point, toughening up, but he is talking a lot about numbers.