Byron Scott Wants Lakers To Average 10 To 15 Three-point Shots A Game

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by lakerswiz, Oct 8, 2014.

1. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

http://www.latimes.com/sports/laker...ott-lakers-three-pointers-20141007-story.html

Highlights;

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Somewhere D'antoni just choked on a chicken wing......

3. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

Love this!! Set a tone. Hold players to it, and let the league know we will be physical. This reminds me of Phil's mind games where he would put things out there in the press so that the league/refs/players would have it in mind the next time we played.

4. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

This was interesting to me because this means that the game is going to get very slowed down. This also means that we won't have as many long rebounds leading to fast breaks and transition miss matches which could help our defense though we're a younger defense and much quicker than we had been in the past.

With Boozer, Hill and Randle we have quite a diverse group of players that can play off the pick and roll and attack it different ways to get to the rim. Julius is also looking like he'll be able to get by any one 4 man defender in the league and I'm sure he will be able to rack up plenty of fouls once he meets the helpside.

So we've got one of our better 3 point shooting teams in recent memory, paired with one of our quickest and most 'slashing' rosters in quite a while and we're looking to slow it down?

I'm not so sure that slowing the game down and trying to grind this out defensively is going to be our best option though I do think we have plenty guys capable of getting to the rim. I am hoping the 3 ball will still be a big enough part of the offense that we can still have enough spacing to get our guys in a position to get to the rim.

5. LTLakerFan

How do you go from shoot less 3's to not taking advantage of our slashing and variety of scoring options down low, and seriously slowing the game down to a level you are uncomfortable with. We're just not going to be "chucking" them this year.

6. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

I never went there though? I even specifically said we have a ton of options for slashing and scoring down low.

And the fact that he said he wants us playing physical to where we are racking up fouls. That's automatically slowing the game down. Giving them the chance to shoot free throws, reset their defense and we take it out under the baseline.

7. thkthebest

thkthebest Administrator Staff Member

Hmm...not sure I like this. I definitely like the idea of shooting closer to the basket, but shooting 3s is an integral part of today's game.

Last year, Heat and Spurs (the two finalists) shot 22 and 21 threes a game respectively.

In 2013, both the Spurs and Heat averaged about 22 3PA.

In the past 2 years, only one team actually shot less than 15, and that was the Memphis Grizzlies.

It's about finding a good balance.

Snake Eyes and lakerswiz like this.
  8. LTLakerFan

I misunderstood. (where the H are my Toasting, Beer Mug Guys) We have to do better than what is up now for emoticons. Please. I am going to continue to harp. I understand the hesitancy and wanting to break from the past with CL, but to date, personally, on any other forum including Lakers Ball now, I have never seen any as good or as great an animated (where you can see their "good" and "funny" at decent sized gifs) "variety" of them.

9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I am absolutely loving this! Byron is doing all the right things so far. His style wears people down eventually, but for now I'm going to enjoy this high.

Tough physical basketball that gets a lot of shots at the rim. Sign me the eff up!

10. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Love hearing this and I liked the settle note that he wants the refs to recognize this and be aware of our physicality the rest of the year once they get accustomed to our style of play. Hopefully the officials pick up on this soon enough and let men play basketball instead of calling ticky tack things.

11. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

Basically what Boston did in 2008-2010, and what Jerry Sloan's mantra had always been.

12. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

anyone know offhand how many we averaged last year?

13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

24.8 threes per game.

14. CaCHooKa Man

CaCHooKa Man Administrator: Media Staff Member

I was just looking it up too and TIL that we were 3rd overall in 3 point field goal percentage

15. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

wow...that's a grip of 3s

there's no smileys for this site huh?

16. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

Fine by me. I really don't mind the de-emphasis of three ball in the least. Anti- D' Antoni, sign me up. That said there are some guys who can light it up if they get a clean look, Ellington and Young particularly. But those are our bench scorers, so it won't be that prevalent. If open I don't mind an occasional three from Lin, Nash, Kobe or even Wes. But I like that it won't be the emphasis at all. Get the ball in low or kick it out to an open look within the arc.

17. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I also noticed in that first game that they were routinely giving hard fouls under the hoop instead of laying off and conceding the basket. I like that as well.

18. LTLakerFan

Yeah there are.....BUT....they are like a high school team of smileys compared to Lakers team of smileys we had at CL and I have been making a PITA of myself lobbying for them to be brought back. UNLESS BETTER ONES CAN BE FOUND. These ain't them. Click on the one generic smiley guy on tool bar above posting fields and they all drop down. Am getting close to doing a poll on it.

pound4pound likes this.
  19. lakerswiz

lakerswiz Guest

These should be easy for the guys to install;

https://xenforo.com/community/resources/categories/smilies.11/

Have fun :)

20. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    The number should be 18-20, we have 3 point shooters on the team in an offense where the ball is going to be in the post with Kobe demanding double teams. It's also going to open the basket up for players like Nash/Lin to create for our bigs. Getting the right mixture of Kobe post, 3 pointers and attacking for opportunities to score or dish is going to take some time, but essentially taking out one aspect that has made teams like Miami and SAS so hard to guard is definitely not the right move.

This might be one of the more balanced teams we've had in awhile, with a bench that has been upgraded from one of the better ones in the league last year. Beat em up with the 1st unit in the post/kick out and bring the 2nd unit in to run and gun and attack away.

It's all about balance, we didn't have it with Pringles or Potato head, but we were around that 18-20 range in our last run with Phil and we dominated everyone in the post/paint.

xerophil likes this.