Bryant's Leadership Style With Lakers Softens

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by Barnstable, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

"
    Bryant's leadership style with Lakers softens

TERRY PIERSON , STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER
    ONTARIO – Kobe Bryant’s style of leadership has been more or less consistent over the first 18 years of his career.

It’s called tough love. Like it or prepare to be at odds with the tough-minded superstar.

Until this year, that is.

Bryant said last week that he was taking a more “nurturing” role with this year’s Lakers, who are leaning on far less experienced players than Bryant is used to.

“You had a lot of veteran guys that have been around,” Bryant said, “so, the teaching style is a little different.”

Byron Scott, who was Bryant’s rookie mentor with the Lakers in 1996, said Bryant “has done a heck of a job with taking guys to the side, just teaching them little things about the NBA.”

Scott described Bryant as a mentor and “a little bit of an assistant coach,” shortly before the Lakers played the Golden State Warriors on Sunday at the Citizens Business Bank Arena.

If this gentler, more patient Kobe doesn’t quite align with the image Bryant has carved out over his career, it should be noted that it wasn’t long ago he was much tougher on young players.

“I didn’t even talk to the man,” said Robert Sacre, who was a Lakers rookie in 2012. “I introduced myself to him. I think the first two things I said to him was ‘ball’ and ‘outlet.’”

But Bryant is 36 and his window to win another championship is closing quickly. If the Lakers are going to exceed expectations and make a playoff run after going 27-55 last year, they will need Bryant to help cultivate young players such as Julius Randle, Jordan Clarkson, Wesley Johnson and Nick Young.

“He just wants to win,” Sacre said, “and I think he knows what he needs to do to help this team and we know what we need to do to be a be part of his legacy, so we just want to help him out and make it better. And all around we’re a closer team.”

Bryant spent the summer training individually with Johnson, and also logged sessions with Young, Randle and other Lakers.

But it’s Randle for whom Scott anticipates Bryant’s guidance could be the most helpful.

“He and I had a talk one day with Julius,” Scott said, “and I told him that if he has anywhere near the work ethic as Kobe, he’ll be an All-Star. If you don’t you’ll just be a good basketball player in the NBA one day.”

As bad as it gets"

Attached Files:

2. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I saw this. I think it's important. These kids need a kick in the butt, but that's Byron's job. Now Kobe needs to be the "good cop". With older guys, I get having a no-nonsense approach. These kids would probably snap under that pressure though from Kobe.

Mentor Mamba is in the house.

revgen likes this.
  3. revgen

revgen - Lakers 6th Man -

Part of it is playing "good cop" to Byron.

Part of it is the team itself. Tough love works when you have talented players who don't have their heads screwed on straight. Lamar Odom comes to mind. Kwame Brown is a perfect example of talent that was unrealized due to mental issues. Even Smush would have gotten more out of himself if he had a better head on his shoulders.

The talent on this team isn't that high, and the few high-talent players we do have don't seem to be nutcases. The chemistry between players and coach is different and Kobe is adjusting to the situation.

lakerjones likes this.
  4. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

it wasn't as bad for Kobe last season because he was out and didn't need to be around the day to day

this season will test his patience..my biggest fear is Kobe tuning these guys out if he doesn't see enough improvement

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

^^^ He can't.... it only makes sense that he do everything in this "nurturing" role he can. Kobe ain't dumb. The time has come for him to do exactly what he is doing. Won't be enough for a ring, but damn if he finishes with 5 rings and in possibly at least 3rd spot on the all time scoring leaders list ahead of Michael Jordan, depending on what LeBron and KD do rest of their careers.......plus all of the all star appearances and MVPs, season MVP, "81 points" and all the other accolades, with the legacy in his last years of seriously making his teammates more than they ever would have been without him, plus maybe years from now being looked at fairly and honestly as the "Greatest Laker of Them All", all things considered.....well THAT is an AMAZING career he has had.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    alam1108 and therealdeal like this.
  6. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

This, all this.

There's a very slim chance that Kobe will win a 6th ring, best thing he can do to expand his legacy is to leave a mark on the young players on the team now. Who knows what kind of players Lin, Randle, Young, Wes, etc, will be in a couple years; but if they turn out to be better than they are now, they have Kobe to thank for that.

7. 432J

432J - Lakers All Star -

you know how it goes....

a person becomes nicer with age
    ;)

8. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Kobe is just doing whatever it takes. He's still the tough guy we all love and admire. Just watch the post game interview he gave the Serena Winters @ thelakersnation put up. He just understands at this time and age what he has to do for this team to have any chance.