Brook Lopez Discusion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakerman JSJ, Jun 20, 2017.

1. ShaqFu

ShaqFu - Rookie -

Lopez to Milwaukee on a 1 year deal

Now where do we go for our starting center? Wagner?

2. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

What about Melo off the bench at the 5 or 4 as needed .... if OKC and the Lakers swap Deng for Melo dumps? Doesn't that save OKC something like 75M or more in this year's penalty tax hit? Is he strong enough and tough enough to bang for short minutes, rather then be dumped additionally by the Lakers?

3. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

4. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yea cheap 1 yr...we missing a legit starting C... do magic/rob really think mcgee is a capable starter for long stretches?

5. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    I think this points to Lebron getting minutes at the 5 depending on the matchup. Len might be a good low risk high reward guy for cheap. Lakers are gonna miss Lopez and Randle.

6. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

This sucks. Makes zero sense unless LBJ didn't want him or we need the roster spot for someone else. I know we have 3 centers already but Brook is better than those for our needs.

Guess we are running with all 3 then, McGee, since he averages 16 MPG career, starting may be possible but he'd be quickly subbed out. Zu - Looked better toward the end of the season when he got more PT but he went into the season looking only slightly less milquetoast than his rookie year. Recent pic in Europe he looks ripped and Romania vs Croatia highlights he was featured heavily I also saw him get rejected at the rim and then stand around waving his arms at the refs while the teams transitioned. Same ol' there.

Mo - Love what he's doing in summer league but are really going to run with a rookie big? His stats (rounded) are:
    23 min per game:
    14/9/2blks

He seriously screwed his 3pt % with 2 games where he took way too many and was off. Otherwise he liked alright from distance. He can attack and is no wimp but again, it's a rookie big in the NBA. Unless you are Shaq, Wilt, etc, you are going to struggle.

Looks like the 5 is by committee then, with all 3 playing the position.And as said we may see LBJ vs really small units.

One thing I am sure of, is our bench will be one of the best in the league. Likely having Hart, Kuz and one of Ball/Rondo.

It saves them a big hit this year but they would still get hit for 2 years instead of just one with Deng's last year on his deal.

It would knock them down a tax tier or two but I believe it would be something like going from 1 year of a 6th level tax tier to 2 years of a 3rd-4th level tier (or something like that) so I don't think that's a a solution to their finance problem.

No doubt we would be keen to doing it assuming LBJ wants Melo here. Worst case we lose this season which is bound to be a learning season imo anyways and then Deng is off the books next summer, 1-2 of our youths start to show their star potential and we nab a FA with Deng gone and all the 1 year deals renounced.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    LTLakerFan likes this.
  7. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

Frye is going to be our starting center .. LMAO

sirronstuff likes this.
  8. wcsoldier81

Totally agree with this.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  9. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

When trying to win Championships... we signed f***ing LeBron James. :D

10. wcsoldier81

He's not going to win by himself , especially in the West .

It wasn't this complicated to take solid decisions such as keeping Brook and not signing a useless player like Lance

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  11. therealdeal

The Lakers have done just fine this offseason. Nitpicking 15-20 mpg players when we just became contenders is a waste.

alam1108 likes this.
  12. wcsoldier81

We don't have a reliable starting center , I don't think I'm nitpicking

sirronstuff, abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  13. therealdeal

I think you're missing the forest for the trees if you're sitting back worrying about what we're missing instead of looking at what we have. There's a lot of time for the Lakers to fill out the roster. It'll be fine.

wallangong likes this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i'm on soldier's team. you can be happy about lebron AND disappointed in other moves. i'm thoroughly underwhelmed with the non-lebron free agency, but thrilled we got lebron and thrilled with the draft picks. this can happen.

there's nothing on the market better than lopez at center. so until they put a better option on the roster using that space, i can be annoyed.

Khmrp likes this.
  15. therealdeal

Sure. I just think it's much to judge the summer through that lens. The original tweet said, "to win a title, you need to constantly be making value moves" which honestly in itself is a flawed premise.

No you don't. To win a title you can get lucky, you can sell the farm, you can do both. And to characterize the summer like we didnt make the greatest value moves by looking at Randle and Stephenson while LeBron is wearing our jersey seems like a framing issue. There's a lot of time left here. I understand being a little annoyed, but have the Lakers not earned some trust?

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.