Brook Lopez Discusion

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakerman JSJ, Jun 20, 2017.

1. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I like Brook’s attitude, his professionalism, his 3 point shot, his condition for a big his age, and his willingness to play some D.

I just wish he would grab a rebound once in a while.

2. gcclaker

gcclaker Moderator Staff Member

Lopez boxes out well...so Hart can swoop in.

3. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Brook may make Hart the best rebounding SG in NBA history.

4. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Brook is just so inconsistent from 3. One game he's great and the next he's not. At this last night's game in the 2nd half he stopped shooting deep 3's in transition and started to move the ball along on the perimeter and not holding it as much. Much better in the 2nd half and we needed his rim protections throughout that game.

He just gets so many wide open shots that it gets frustrating when he doesn't hit them consistently given his last year's stats from deep.

5. gcclaker

Lopez once he hits one or a pair...it becomes "heat check" time with him which is natural. He can be usable in the post but he is so slow and deliberate. I do like Lopez at the high post setting the screens and hand-offs. Savvy enough not to turn the ball over.

6. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

He is just 4 made threes over the last 46 games away from the percentages he had last season.

Last season: 1.8/5.2 per game (34.6%)
    This season: 1.5/4.4 per game (33.2%)

Last season: 387 attempts in 75 games (made 134)
    This season: 202 attempts in 46 games (made 67)

If he makes 71 (just four more) threes he's at 35.1% on the year. He's a one-week hot streak away from being the exact same shooter he was last season.

7. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I do too, this is the best kind of Lopez. And missed it up by taking his man off the dribble and going to the rim. Can't just settle for deep 3s

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and gcclaker like this.
  8. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    I guess he's not doing as bad as I suspected when breaking down the numbers/percentages. Just feels like he should be making more, hence being wide open so many times.

9. gcclaker

A couple of times last night, ball in hand Lopez was directing traffic and telling when or where to cut to keep the ball moving. He is a good safety valve there when Ingram is pressured and forced to give up the ball...

10. therealdeal

I think the problem is, he's a proven 20 ppg scorer, but he's only averaging 11.9 points for us. People expected more (me included), but the Lakers have not made him a priority offensively.

He still does a lot of things well for this team though. Good passes, good rim protection, solid presence. I don't know if I've ever seen a slower guy take other Centers off the dribble and have success probably 50% of the time.

11. Cookie

Cookie The Dame of Doom Staff Member

Overall this wasn’t a bad game for Lopez. My BIG gripe is his continual misses at the 3 point line when he is wide open. Like he could brush his teeth before someone closed out on him on some of those shots. I don’t care if he’s shooting at last years percentage. We’re they all as wide open as these shots? If so he shouldn’t be shooting them either. Get your butt into the paint and stay there.

jbiggs and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  12. BadCoaching

BadCoaching - Rookie -

He's out of his element for sure on offense, it's almost a panic mode for a lot of players when they don't meet their scoring expectations. They haven't shown that his scoring potential is a necessity.

He needs to focus on rebounds and some easy put backs.. no reason to only be grabbing 3 buckets a game at his size and still in his 20's.

Ugh then I watch San Antonio and Pau is still grabbing 8-9 boards a game @ 37yrs old in less than 25 mins.. sigh.

Cookie and JohnnyComeLately2k6 like this.
  13. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Really quickly, you guys noticed that when reports came out that he was asking for a buyout, he shot them down and said he wants to stay in LA. I'm thinking we can keep this guy for cheap this summer since it seems he wants to stay in LA.

Now getting back to the topic of his current play, I'm with Cookie... There should be a standard. Take two 3pt shots in the 1st and is your make one, you're allowed 2 more in the 2nd and so on. So at worst he's either 0-2 or 1-4 for the game and none of those shots should affect us late in tight games. Also you can't take those shots within the first 6 seconds of the shot clock unless you're wide open off a swing pass.

He had such a nice drop step last night and clearly he's effective down low, so get down there big fella. You and Jules should punish opposing frontlines to start the game, so they don't only respect your 3ball but your ability to wear them down as the games goes along.

He's had numerous foot related injuries, so I'm thinking he's gravitated away from the paint, not only by offensive design, but to prolong his career and he's in a contract year, so he needs to stay healthy, to earn that next check.

Ideally, if PG and LaBron do come on board, DJ makes a whole lot more sense than BLo... But i guess it's good to have options, in case DJ is not willing to take less than market value, to make that superteam work.

14. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Hes not coming back unless clips over pay n we know they won't

sirronstuff likes this.
  15. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Would Cuban want him after getting ****** by him a couple years ago? And then maybe

[​IMG]

Leave Julius alone!! ?

16. alam1108

alam1108 - Lakers Legend -

No reason why he could take advantage of Dal's weak front court. Him and Randle should have set the tone.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 and Cookie like this.
  17. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Well their big guys were pretty athletic especially Powell and had some meat on them too. Julius got his and looked to be working hard as he could.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  18. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

to soft, to slow....only taking him back as last resort n no more than full mle, he should grt lou will $ but hes not even half the scorer lou is

19. therealdeal

This is such a lazy Lopez take.

Brook is averaging 1.3 blocks per game in just 21 minutes played. His per36 blocks would be good for 2nd in the NBA behind just Porzingis, but as it is Brook is still ranked 16th in under 22 minutes per game.

In the 5 games he's played 30 minutes he's scored between 19 and 34 points and had 3 double doubles. In only one of those games he shot under 50% and we went 4-1 in those contests.

In the 24 games games he's played less than 20 minutes we're just 9-15.

He's still just 4 made threes away from the same percentage he had last season behind the line and by the way he's being asked to take WAY more of his shots from outside this season. Last year he took only 33% of his shots from outside compared to over 42% of his shots this season. Nearly half the shots Brook takes are threes and he's performing about as well as can be asked for.

Take all that with the fact that there's literally no one else out there who can provide what he provides on the open market and this preposterous idea that we'd not want him back for some performance based reason is just crazy to me. You want to exclude him for financial reasons? Sure. But other than that he's been a consumate professional, a great teammate, a willing player, and has given just about the exact amount to be expected in the opportunities provided for him. I honestly cannot understand why this guy is so hated on this site.

Oh and by the way he's been a better scoring option that Lou Williams for his entire career. Brook has scored just about 200 less points in 3 less seasons in the NBA. Brook's career 18.1 ppg is better than all but one of Lou's 13 seasons and Lou needs 17 shots per game to get 23 points. One season of abuse on the Lakers does not discredit Brook's career.

sirronstuff, alam1108, abeer3 and 8 others like this.
  20. Alcindor

Alcindor - Lakers Starter -

Trying to think of a time the other team's big left a wide open lane to the rim to go and and guard Lou Will on the perimeter.