Broken Bones Heal But This Season May Not

Discussion in 'Lakers Discussion' started by southbaylakers72, Oct 28, 2014.

1. southbaylakers72

southbaylakers72 - Rookie -

Lakers looking more like 76ers.

Given they were undersized. Given the team is not at full strength. What would Jerry West do?

A. Trade Kobe for some picks and a player like Bledsoe or Rondo?

B. Hold on tight and not come to any more games?

C. Sign Lamar Odom?

D. Pray.

2. 7

7 - Rookie -

Sixers, C Bags, Bucks, Magic

These are the only four teams this year that I see being worse than us.

Jazz, Kings, Timberwolves, this can go either way, but I wouldn't be surprised to see us finishing with a worse record than either of these teams. Hard to be optimistic when were dealt with such a crushing blow the very first game of the season. Maybe Lin regains some of Linsanity, maybe Boozer reverses the clock and becomes something more than just "serviceable," otherwise I see this season unfolding like the Michael Jordan Wizards. Sad that Kobe's going to waste the rest of his career here, there is absolutely nothing for him here.

3. DjBelvedere

DjBelvedere - Rookie -

Well the idea of trains Kobe... no words needed ^^but who in the world would give up something like Rondo or Bledsoe? No one. And u really would trade Kobe to the C Bags?!

Well we should all calm down. Still the first game of the season.

blanko and trodgers like this.
  4. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I think only the Sixers and Bucks will have worst records than ours .

- We have little talent on our roster
    - 1 game into the season and we have 9 players available
    - The West is very tough
    - Early signs indicate me Scott is going to be worse than MDA

5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

Top Poster Of Month

scott can't rescue the team from this tire fire of a roster. i hated mda (long before he was a lakers coach, back when people thought he was a genius), but last year wasn't his fault, either. you can't win without talent, and the lakers don't have it.

I'm just worried that they scratch out a few wins out of pride again, giving away that top 5 pick.

oh, and Jordan's wizards did a lot better than this team can hope to, imo. didn't they make the playoffs? or at least come close?

6. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

I knew we would struggle to begin the season.

But last nights loss was so bad for so many different reasons that I think we should cruise to a bottom 3 record.

And i hate to say it but that appears to be the best thing right now. We need a top 5 (honestly top 2) pick in the worse way. We just dont have the talent to attract any big time free agents right now. And despite what some say, that is only going to get worse once Kobe is gone.

I will keep cheering them on, but I have pretty much started the Okafor watch.

7. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    It's one game. I'm not worried about what I saw. I am worried about Randle missing a few months.

8. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Losing Randle is a big part of why I am worried. I really thought he would be able to have an impact the second half of the season.

Overall, I think we are going to end up a pretty big hole here to start the season and we won't be able to get out of it.

9. unpossibl1

unpossibl1 - Rookie -

Debbie Downer post of the day: IF Randle is out for the year that's 81 games lost, add to Nash's 82, Young's 17 or so and figure Kelly is out of a few more games that's roughly 183 games lost to injury this year. We have played one game. :sick:

Oh and I forgot Ellington. Call it 185. Very good chance we lead the league in games lost due to injury by a wide margin for the 2nd year in a row.

10. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Just before the game started, I was telling a friend that I just wasn't heartless enough to want that top 5 pick before the season even started. Now? Time to start an official tank thread.

11. ShowTime_IR

ShowTime_IR - Rookie -

does anybody else lately had thoughts of "did i do something wrong to deserve this disappointments as a Lakers fan?"
    its unbelievable this blow after blow for 3 years.

12. wcsoldier81

wcsoldier81 - Lakers All Star -

I agree ... He still can make things worse though ...

The offense and what we ran ( when all 5 players knew what play they were running) looked bad and too simple .

The principle of shooting more long 2s than 3s is laughable regardless of the roster

Ryanwestlombardi likes this.
  13. The Original 81

The Original 81 - Rookie -

If last night was a sign of how things will go the rest of the year, we're in for a LONG year. We don't have talent, and talent wins ball games. I don't care whose coaching the team. The TNT guys (specifically Barkley) are loving it too, mocking us all night long. I feel bad for Kobe too, Harden was basically ignoring Wes and shadowing him everytime he had the ball.

14. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

It's tough. Basketball isn't rocket science. It's pretty predictable for the most part. The teams with the better players usually win more. We just lost a huge part of our talent base last night with Randle. He was the guy with the highest ceiling on the team not named Kobe. Even though he's just a rookie, he was capable of bringing something unique and kind of unstoppable on the offensive end.

Without Randle, we are fairly limited in the talent department. Last night we ran into two All Star players in their prime and two very good vets in Ariza and Jason Terry.

We are out there with one of the best players ever, but of course he's 36 in his 19th year and recovering from one of the most decimating injuries in sports. After that you have two good but not exceptional players in Lin and Booz and one good bench scorer in Swaggy P. Ed Davis has played very well, too. But that's pretty wafer thin on talent compared to most of the teams in the West. I think our coach will get the best out of them that he can and they will compete. But it's going to be tough to actually get wins on most nights.

15. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Oh, we won't intentionally tank. If the way, we play last night though is any indication, we're in for a long season. It's possible it could be worse than last year, IMO. We have a game tonight against Phoenix. It doesn't get much easier.

16. Ryanwestlombardi

Ryanwestlombardi - Rookie -

Retired
    Damn, the one bright spot I thought would be fun to watch unfold this year, Julius Randle's development into a NBA player, is over, after one lousy game! Now one game does not make a season, but I saw 0 things to be optimistic about last night. I just do not know how Bryant is going to handle the prospect of being on , playing for, one of the worst, noncompetitive teams in the league at this point in his career. The truth is he has no other options nor do the Lakers. His contract is an unmovable roadblock to any escape. First game of the season and this scenario is what he sees, His wife and kids will need to hide in their rooms when he gets home, his frustration and anger is going to be at a full boil by weeks end.

17. southbaylakers72

Was a discussion point. The main one being the lakers need to think about avoiding feeling sentimental if they are going to get better sooner rather than later. Who cares if cbags got kobe ? Really. Don't let your hatred cloud your vision. That said you can rest assured neither I nor cbags are interested in such a deal.

18. southbaylakers72

This is all part of the slippery slope of david stern meddling to save face with dbags like dan Gilbert. Lakers sucking and clippers winning will prove to undermine and not expand interest in NBA

19. southbaylakers72

I think even harden feels bad for kobe. While there are haters out there part of me feels like we owe it to kobe to spring him to a team that can win.' Feels wrong to hang onto him&c just cause we can

20. Kasumi

Kasumi Lakers Girl Staff Member

Coffee
    Yes, precisely my thoughts

therealdeal likes this.