Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    You shouldn't worry

[​IMG]

2. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    Not everyone gets it at the same speed. BI is going to get it. He is still sooo young. He works hard. He wants it. He will find his way.

3. fabfourlakers

fabfourlakers - Lakers Starter -

BI better start showing why we've hyped him so much in the next 10-15 games or I'm thinking you gotta ship his a** out before his value drops significantly.

borri likes this.
  4. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

It all comes back to coaching and development with me and the young guys. I just don't know that we have had the proper structure and teaching in place to help guys reach their peak during this stretch. Once bad habits creep in, they are hard to break.

I haven't given up on Ingram by any means, but I understand why people are getting impatient.

Lakeshow85 likes this.
  5. lakerjones

lakerjones Moderator Staff Member

I thought he played well tonight. Better than he has been.

JohnnyComeLately2k6 likes this.
  6. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    Cost Bron a triple double not just the last airball but an easy dunk earlier in the game...overall good game' using his length on both side of the court

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  7. fabfourlakers

I thought BI was OK.

However, with Rondo out...I expect BI to get a lot more opportunities and he'll be playing point forward a lot more...this should help his game and confidence with more touches and setting up teammates

gcclaker, Khmrp and LTLakerFan like this.
  8. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

He's finding that his midrange game is where he's most effective. His ability to take players off the dribble, stop, and elevate over a player is his strength.

Not quite there yet with the turnaround, but he should use that midrange game to upon up the lane with a couple hesitation moves. He's getting there. Give him some time guys, he's learning to play with Bron his way.

lakerjones, LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  9. fabfourlakers

I actually think he needs to do LESS of this and MORE driving to the rim. He has been extremely inefficient from mid range and I'm sick of him taking fadeaway jumpers in the mid post when he can easily use his length to get to the basket.

Khmrp likes this.
  10. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

The problem with him attacking the basket is that defenders are expecting him to do so every time. He was getting to the basket early on the season, but kept running into a wall because defenders are expecting him to go there, not to mention, he doesn't quite have the strength to finish through contact like Lebron does, even with BI's length cause he's just running straight into their anchor.

His midrange has been falling well, it's building confidence in his jumper over all. Once defenders respect his jumpshot, then the lane will be open for him. I did say those turnaround jumpers aren't working just yet, it takes a lot of skill to execute that shot, but his pull up jumper has been money coming around screens.

11. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

I'm watching this movie right now. Freaky a** people in this s***.

12. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

BI is missing comfortability. He isnt totally confident game in and game out with his game. We may have to wait a little longer to see when he finally makes that final turn.

wallangong likes this.
  13. KB24

KB24 Administrator Staff Member

Certified Tax Advisor
    In the off-season he said he has never felt comfortable in the NBA so far. That he wants that to happen in his 3rd season.

At this point you have to accept what he is. He isn't going to be Kevin Durant 2.0. If people here hope that is the case, they will be disappointed. He has star potential but not superstar potential IMO.

It doesn't mean he can't be a very good player/piece in a championship team.

14. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

It's way too early to make conclusions like that. He just turned 21 a couple of months ago, and he's putting up numbers close to what Scottie Pippen was when he was 23/24.

Players develop at different rates, especially slim players like Ingram/Pippen that require more time to develop physically.

15. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

I don't want Ingram running too much point guard off the bench. In the PnR last season he struggled against drop coverages because of his poor shooting. I pointed this out in detail in the long post I made in the offseason. Luke's adjustment last season was to run pick and pop and get Lopez open 3s. But this season without a shooting big man, unless we are playing small ball, I don't expect us to be effective with Ingram handling the ball a lot. He should focus on being smart off the ball.

16. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

C'mon, as high as you want to be on Ingram, he is NOWHERE near the player Pippen was at 23/24. Please don't compare him to one of the best perimeter defenders of all time.

shoe likes this.
  17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

To start the 1988-89 season, Pippen was coming off the bench for players like Sam Vincent and Brad Sellers. He worked hard on building on his frame and honed his skills with MJ. As a result he emerged as a premier wing by the time he was 24/25.

And you know about his growth spurt in college right? As a sophmore (20 yrs old) he was 6'5 and as a junior (21) the dude was still 6'6. Skinny as hell and couldn't shoot.

I'm pretty confident Ingram will get to where Pippen was at 23/24 in 2-3 years. Will he get to where Pippen was at his prime? Maybe not, but the point remains that it's way too soon to give up on a underdeveloped 21 yr old kid with Ingram's potential.

18. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    good comparison, he just needs to be rabid on defense

tada likes this.
  19. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Making you asset free AND happy by 2030
    BI has been asked to play a variety of roles very early on, and puts in the work. As his best suited role becomes more clear on this team, he will hone the skills needed to be massively successful at it.

Or he'll be traded. Pretty simple when you think of it like that. But, that being said, I have no doubt he'll have a very successful career.

20. bfc1125roy

bfc1125roy - Rookie -

Statistically they may have been similar in production, but the context here is drastically different. Ingram was also statistically similar to a young Giannis, Hayward, Leonard, George, etc. But I debunked most of those comparisons already.