Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    That would be very satisfying

lakerjones and trodgers like this.
  2. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    20-4-4 seasons from Lakers?
    Kobe 15
    West 13
    Baylor 8
    Kareem 4
    Goodrich 4
    Magic 4
    Wilt 4
    Jim Price 1
    Byron...Scott... 1

3. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I was watching a clip where Legler said Simmons is more NBA ready than Brandon. How exactly? One guy can't shoot, the other guy is a phenomal shooter, a phenomenal defender, a great rebounder, and unquestionably more well rounded offensively. Being skinny didn't stop Durant from being a big time scorer right away. Even a guy like Russell was a pretty good scorer last year and was really skinny.

I don't expect Ingram to be an elite scorer right away I just don't see the argument that Simmons is a higher impact player. Even if Simmons improves his jumper is it ever gonna be as good as Brandon's? Unlikely. He has the length Simmons doesn't have so I doubt he's ever as good defensively.

The LeBron comparison is ridiculous. Simmons isn't near the athlete LeBron is, Simmons makes LeBron look like Larry Bird with his jump shot, and despite all the flack LeBron gets he's way tougher mentally. You think Simmons could've handled that immense pressure LeBron had resurrecting a franchise from the dead twice? No chance. If he can't handle pressure in college I doubt he's gonna live up to #1. I think he'll be Lamar Odom, but Ingram will be closer to Paul George and Kawhi Leonard than Odom.

4. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

If the criteria is "NBA ready," I'd probably agree. Simmons can impact the game by rebounding and banging down low as a PF. I think Ingram will slow down a bit and hit a wall as the season progresses. Much like Porzingis. He's just way too weak and skinny right now to withstand 82 games.

Next season is where I think Ingram would become the better player. Simmons is a year older so it's really not a fair comparison anyway.

johnnyboy, John3:16, Weezy and 2 others like this.
  5. Lakers2015

I don't agree with that at all. How is his impact higher? HE CAN'T SHOOT. Teams are gonna be able to play him so easily and it's gonna limit Simmons' best attribute which is his playmaking skills. Ingram will slow down at some point, but his shooting and his defense is what makes him a great long term investment as well as the highest impact player right now. Yeah the kid is skinny, but he's getting bigger and will be even bigger when the season commences in October. Like I said didn't stop Durant so I see no reason it'll stop Ingram.

6. Aonex

Aonex - Rookie -

In today's NBA, if you're a perimeter player... does being skinny really matter that much?

7. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

Durant and Ingram are different players, go about the game differently, and Durant didn't come into the NBA in a different situation.

As of today, Simmons is definitely more NBA ready from a physical standpoint. He's bigger, stronger, more explosive, more athletic. He's got the kind of body that can really excel absorbing contact. For that matter Jaylen Brown is a bit more NBA ready as far as playing tomorrow.

It's not an insult to Ingram, just the truth. In a year or two as Ingram fills out, gets stronger, and adjusts to the physicality of the NBA he'll really take off. In the meantime, we could have a situation like last season where Russell excelled really despite his physical limitations because of how skilled he is. Ingram will absolutely still make an impact this season. He'll still help us win more games and he'll still show great growth. The entire reason Simmons got drafted first though is how well he profiles into an NBA player on Day One. If Ingram was a little bigger and stronger he'd have been the #1 pick. It'll take probably 2-3 years before he hits his stride and starts becoming the player we want him to be. Until then, he should still provide a lot great moments for us.

KB24, Barnstable, tada and 4 others like this.
  8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'

Probably posted elsewhere before, but here's 25 minutes of everything we've been lacking at the 3 spot and desperately needed.

lakerjones and therealdeal like this.
  9. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Who's going to shadow Simmons? He'll torch teams in transition. He will have an impact immediately. I love Ingram, and I'd rather have him than Simmons, but Simmons may well be better their first couple seasons. I'm in with Ingram for the long haul.

10. Lakers2015

I never said Ingram and Durant were the same, but they're similar. As for Simmons I just don't agree that he's more NBA ready. The game is as much about skill as physical attributes. Look at Steph, Nash, Kobe in his later days. Ingram has a far superior skillset. He's skinny so what? All of those guys I listed were skinny and other than Kobe were immediate contributors.

I just don't see how Simmons can be more productive when he can't shoot. He's not gonna be able to pass effectively. Teams will just pack the paint. How's he going to get to the basket? Especially with the Sixers not having many if any shooters around him. Simmons is more athletic good for him, but he has nowhere near the skill Ingram does. That's why he disappears in games while Ingram only got better as time went on.

11. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

How is this even a question. NBA ready doesn't mean more talented, more skilled, more potential, or anything like that. All it means is ready for playing against bigger, stronger men than you have before, longer 3 point line, taking the punishment of a longer season, stuff like that. Simmons is more NBA ready than Ingram if only because of size (and maybe age, Ingram is 18, Simmons will turn 20 soon), that's all it takes. One guy weighs 195 (maybe), the other guy weighs 240 and looks like this

[​IMG]

Whose body is more ready to take an NBA beating? Come on now, I wanted Ingram, but let's be objective on this point here, let's look at reality, not through Laker-colored glasses.

12. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    He's got a beautiful body, man.
    He's an all the way big dude.

Barnstable, tada, LTLakerFan and 4 others like this.
  13. therealdeal

The similarities to Durant really are mostly physical. They play very different styles of basketball, that's the point I'm making. If you expect Ingram to come in and average 20/4/2 in 80 games in the NBA then you're expecting way too much from him. Ingram does not have the same scoring mentality that Durant did. It's evident in really all his numbers in college. Ingram is more about the team and making winning plays than necessarily scoring the ball every possession like KD is. Ingram is more likely to be a 15/6/3 guy than a 20/4/2 guy in his rookie year. As for Curry, Kobe, and Nash that's extraordinarily lofty expectations. You just named 3 Hall of Fame players. By the way those guys coming into the league? Only Steph Curry was really impactful and he was a 17/4/6 guy. Nash and Kobe barely played at all as rookies.
    Because he's a ridiculous athlete. Simmons at the combine was tested as faster than Jordan Clarkson and quicker in the key than Julius Randle. He's a ludicrous athlete, ball handler, and passer. He may not have the all around talent that Ingram does, but what Simmons can do, he does at an elite level. You used Steph Curry as an example earlier well Steph Curry's #1 attribute is his shooting. Sure he also can handle the ball and passes well, but as we saw in the Finals if he's not making his shots he's not effective. Steph is so effective as a shooter though that he won back-to-back MVPs. Think of Simmons's athleticism and size as Steph Curry's shooting: it's an elite talent that will open up the rest of his game. In the fast break there's probably not a single person in the NBA that can stop him. He'll make a big impact right away.

It's not a slight at Ingram. Ingram's path to stardom was always going to be harder because while he is incredible gifted and skilled, he wasn't given the same gifts and skills as guys like Simmons. It's what gives him an edge. Kobe was the same way.

14. Snake Eyes

Snake Eyes - Rookie -

Has it been announced when Ingram will be introduced (or chooses his jersey number)?

15. therealdeal

Not yet. He likes #13 but that's been retired already so he'll have to pick something else.

16. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Id be more than satisfied if Ingrams turns out to be a taller Klay, with better offensive gm but a lesser 3pt shooter

johnnyboy likes this.
  17. KareemtheGreat33

KareemtheGreat33 - Lakers MVP -

Brow-beater
    I'm hoping for taller Reggie Miller

18. pound4pound

pound4pound - Lakers Starter -

oh man

those fans from Boston are screwed now when Ben and Okafor come back

19. johnnyboy

johnnyboy - Lakers 6th Man -

Im Satoshi Nakamoto
    KD was much more athletic at that age. I think Ingram has a chance to be the best player in the draft, but simmons is def more NBA ready. He's gonna snatch up defensive rebounds and push the ball up the court and get lots of dunks and layups. That might be the only lebron comparison that is accurate IMO other than his passing. Im a bit worried about Ingram getting hurt if he doesn't bulk up. He's a hard worker so I think he will

20. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I love Coach K's statement.

“The Los Angeles Lakers are getting both a great player and a great person in Brandon Ingram,” Krzyzewski said. “Brandon was a special player this year at Duke, and his best basketball is still ahead of him. I have absolutely loved coaching Brandon because he is a no-maintenance player who loves and respects the game. He is also a creative and thoughtful young man who comes from a beautiful family. I’m excited to watch his promising career with the Lakers get under way. Brandon will continue to get better and better. I’m proud that he’ll always be a member of the Duke basketball family.”