Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

some of our bigs still dont put up their hands when they get switched onto guards

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    if we were closer to contending, that would be an interesting question. I think value of talent trumps all in our current state, so pretty sure we would not voluntarily downgrade (Perception wise)

3. Bryant

Bryant - Lakers 6th Man -

Different defensive scheme that's exposing his flaws badly. Pelicans play a more traditional defense than our scheme, which incorporates a lot of switching. He's been poor at help defense, poor on close outs, and poor at protecting the rim.

I think there's also not as much pressure for him to play defense compared to here. Luke would threaten to bench him if his effort declined. Doesn't happen in NOLA. Some of their fans think that he has sacrificed his defense for offensive output.

Sorry mods if this is getting off topic.

LTLakerFan and TIME like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Not at all .... thanks. Time mentioned him in a not off topic way.

TIME likes this.
  5. LTLakerFan

Wow, did not realize that it was that bad still and because he could get to the rim, at least I thought.

6. LTLakerFan

Can't imagine not doing it .... was always just basic basketball.

abeer3 likes this.
  7. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

It's so bad that news breaks out if he ATTEMPTS a jumpshot lol

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. Savory Griddles

Savory Griddles Moderator Staff Member

I watched the replay of the Mavs game. It's sort of infuriating to see Ingram play that way. It's not like he was crazy hot from the field. He wasn't making Kobe-esque fadeaways with 2 dudes draped on him. He was just slithering around the lane making plays that are always available to him. If anything, he probably has more room to operate when Lebron is on the floor.

abeer3 and sirronstuff like this.
  9. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

Exactly...

I have no problem with folks being disappointed with BI (or Zo) this year or having a problem with them not meeting lofty yet attainable expectations...but calling them busts is pretty extreme....BI isn't even a full year older than the #1 overall pick in this year in Ayton. Dude has to mature still, but he's nowhere near the ceiling of his growth yet. And Zo's a few months younger than BI...so y'all need to stop "bust"n his Balls as well.

But I still can overlook the bust projections cause not everyone is patient and I get that. What really grinds my gears is fans looking back...

[​IMG]

DLo had a lost year last season due to injury and yes he and BK have won against some impressive teams this year, but they haven't really faced the buzzsaw of their schedule yet. They play in the top heavy east and have the 4th toughest upcoming schedule overall (worst remaining schedule of all eastern teams), so let's see where they really stand at the end of the year.
    http://www.tankathon.com/remaining_schedule_strength

And just like DLo (who's in a contract year btw), Jules is putting up stats, but isn't that the case for talented players on bad teams? Jules benefits from playing with AD in that AD takes so much attention in the post for Jules to roam and AD also helps stretch the floor cause that boy's mid-range jumper is true.
    https://stats.nba.com/players/scoring/?sort=PCT_PTS_2PT_MR&dir=-1&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612740

You put Zo and BI on bad teams where they are the go-to guy and y'all don't think they can put up stats in losing efforts?

JC is putting up a career best in points on the Cavs, but how are the Eastern Conference defending champion Cavs doing? He leads that Cavs team with a 27.6% usage rate. Meanwhile DLo leads the Nets in usage rate with 28.7% and is top 20 in the league (for reference, AD is 28.6% and Bron is 30.6%). Jules is 2nd on NOP in usage with a 26% clip.
    https://stats.nba.com/players/usage/?sort=USG_PCT&dir=-1

So before y'all chirp about how we exiled the wrong kiddies, know that you give talented players the massive amount of time with the ball in their hands and they'll put up numbers...but having that translate to puttin' up Ws...that's tougher.

Oh and it seems like all y'all like to only focus on O. Can't get that O without that D doe...and we definitely kept the right kiddies in that regard.
    https://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/?sort=DEF_RATING&dir=-1&CF=MIN*GE*25&Season=2018-19&SeasonType=Regular Season

10. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

Ehhhh.

I mean, without Lebron (and even apparently Kuz), we've proven (pretty emphatically IMO) that we are one of the worst teams in the league. Ball and Ingram certainly didn't light the world on fire and Ball in particular had multiple absolute terrible games.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on our guys yet. They are still young and have plenty of time to pull everything together.

But, we can't sit here and act like questions about them and their overall potential are just crazy or fans being unreasonable. We've seen plenty of bad play to justify fans being worried that we bet on the wrong horses.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    alam1108 and abeer3 like this.
  11. ElginTheGreat

ElginTheGreat - Lakers MVP -

And let me again say, I like Ingram. I was never in favor of him or Kuz going to the bench and I'm in no hurry to trade any of the kids absent the right player suddenly becoming available.

12. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    no way. You can't give up on the potential alone of a 21 year old Ingram for Covington at this point. Just my opinion.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

yea i agree...was just bringing something back from a supposed unbias forum aka laker hating fans iof other teams, the guy who made the thread is a queens fan as well lol

14. D-Fish Man

D-Fish Man - Lakers 6th Man -

Ingram needs to avoid taking threes altogether until he figures out how to work WITHIN an offense, rather than trying to create his own. When he uses his length and cuts to the basket, he's a gem. When he tries playing Kobe ball, we fall apart.

15. TIME

TIME Administrator Staff Member

Lifelong Lakers fan.
    I remember multiple mediocre or just plain bad games from Randle 2-3 years ago before he had his breakthrough off season workout and got in amazing shape.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  16. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    hey BI, this is how you play off the ball bro

17. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

This is why i said klay is the most perfect fit for us, hes not the most talented out of the fa pool but that off ball gm is noice

18. karacha

karacha Moderator Staff Member

When Klay dribbles, it really means taking 1 dribble to get 2-3 feet of space. That's all.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

yup. and non-shooters can do it, too. i mentioned AK and shawn marion at different times. neither was a knockdown outside shooter. just smart, aggressive, and decisive, utilizing their unique attributes (length and speed, respectively).

20. Punk-101

Punk-101 - Lakers Starter -

Especially since BI can slither euro step from the 3pt line to the rim without traveling due to his crazy length.

alam1108, abeer3, TIME and 4 others like this.