Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Ingram played great the first 3 quarters and it was ugly in that 4th quarter.

Yes he costed us the game but let's not be blinded by all the bad. He finally let the game come to him and looked smoother out there for most of the game.

Cookie and LTLakerFan like this.
  2. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I dont see anything new from him offensively, still settles for mid-range which is ok since he is getting separation, would like to see more post ups.

abeer3 and LTLakerFan like this.
  3. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

abeer3 likes this.
  4. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

I disagree with a lot of this except a few things:

1) I agree that Ingram is unlikely to be a "star".
    2) He's being misused.

I said it really early on: he needs to be coming off screens. Any time he goes into isolations it's a massive mistake. He may be one of the worst isolation players on the team. I'd rather have Caruso in isolation and that's not an exaggeration. Randle, Clarkson, Lopez, Kuzma, and even Ball and KCP I'd put over him in those situations.

Other than that, I don't think he's a low IQ player at all. I don't think many of those metrics are enough to tell me he won't work out and be a good player.

5. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

That is what I assumed at the Very least he would have gotten schooled on if he had actually gotten with Kobe over the summer. WTF Brandon why did you not get that done? (my assumption)

Any and all of these guys that has ever thought about wanting to improve their back to basket games or to create the start of a little one ..... ought to submit a group effort petition to Rob and Magic and have them clear with Kobe to have fun, and so valuable Kobe teaching them basics and mind set about that part of the game...... group sessions. In the facility occasionally and maybe for a real treat, at his home at least once. Hakeem and Kobe interchangeably the best in the history of the game for that. With group effort Kobe wouldn't have to spend one on one time more often. Assuming he would agree to any of his time teaching players with his other businesses. But he's always reported or rumored to be doing this for players he respects that want to come to him, and this is a fun group on this year's first team under his pal Rob and idol, Magic.

You're welcome Magic. C'mon dude .... utilize your assets here. I'm certain a bunch of these guys would sign up and benefit from Kobe tutoring.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  6. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

He's doing what he did at the beginning of last season.

Head down, getting bumped off his drives, and settling on his shots.

I think Magic was insinuating to BI to let the game come to him, and stop worrying about being this "ISO" player we all are wanting him to be. What he would make out to be is an excellent target man in transition and around cuts. Also, he needs to work on getting higher percentage shots, too much forcing out there for him.

He lost a bit of his confidence and momentum he built last year, but I'm not worried that he'll get back in stride again.

I'm not giving up on this kid after a few preseason games. We did the same thing with Randle last year after it looked like Randle was "done", but came out unstoppable for that 10 game stretch.

tada, scnottaken and lakerjones like this.
  7. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    Just curious, does anyone remember how raw the Greak Freak looked his first 2-3 years and doesn't everyone remember how long it took Jimmy Bulter to actually show something. I think it took him 3-4 yrs if I'm not mistaken..

I don't know if he'll be a star but he has all the things your looking for to be a great player.

upload_2017-10-11_11-33-28.png

upload_2017-10-11_11-34-12.png

Kobe at the same age as Brandon (I think or if not the same age the same NBA experience - 2nd year) was air balling 3's in the playoffs. Imagine the insanity if twitter and social media existed back then

8. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Giannis took a big jump in his 2nd yr, Leonard stats were more inline with Butler in terms of transitioning from meh player to star lvl

9. SeasonVet24

SeasonVet24 - Rookie -

At this point, I would be happy if his ceiling is Tayshaun Prince.

tada and ElginTheGreat like this.
  10. vasashi17

vasashi17 LB's Resident Capologist

LT, BT20, LF2: totally agree with all of you! We all agree that BI is young. Since Kuz is the one threatening to take his role, dude is a couple years younger in terms of age and playing exposure. But what is the most perplexing of all of this is we're acting like he's already neck deep into a sophomore slump campaign....ugh, we're still in preseason folks. Isn't it a bit too early to state that dude didn't improve or make a jump in his 2nd year when his 2nd year hasn't even popped off yet.

Don't let your frustrations cloud your better judgement. None of us know the type of player BI can be yet. However, what we kind of know so far is that he embraces challenges and is not afraid to take on that responsibility. In preseason games, I totally appreciate his confidence to figure out how he can help the team. Sure, he had a part in our L last night and sure I'm deeply concerned that he had the worst +/- rating out of the group last night...but I rather judge him on how he handles failure instead of things coming easy to him now, only to shrink when it really matters.

Its waaaay too early to already call BI a bust IMHO. Believe me, Zo is going to go through the same struggles this season...but I'm totally all for it! Cause you want to see how a player is going to react from adversity (ie Kobe's 4 airballs in a playoff game).

Let this guy get use to his own skin (developing his NBA body) before we can state that he's not a star player. Again, I'm not concerned in the least. The second he starts to drop his head and express doubt in his ability, is when I will start doubting the kid. But for now, he's proven that he's at least got the right attitude to become a successful player.

11. LaVarBallsDad

This mentality of isolating him at the end of the game better change now; I don't want to see it carried over into the regular season costing us games.

abeer3, Kenzo, Cookie and 5 others like this.
  12. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

If they're isoing anyone at the end of games, it's Brook Lopez. That should be obvious.

13. LaVarBallsDad

I hope so. I don't mind experimenting in meaningless even as frustrating as it can be; if we plan on being attractive, being competitive, you're right, Lopez should be the only one who should get the ball on the block and do his thing.

therealdeal likes this.
  14. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I think a Kuz-Lopez sort of pick and roll would probably give us the most options.

therealdeal and Battle Tested20 like this.
  15. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    [​IMG]

These comments about our most untouchable player in years.....

abeer3 likes this.
  16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

'member when i got killed for the tayshaun prince comparison?

i've scaled that back.

really think we could have had paul george if management wasn't (still) incompetent. nobody is untouchable on a team this bad.

for the optimists, jorker is delivering hard truths. this summer, when i was arguing in favor of moving ingram for an allstar, i pointed at same truths. people that are as bad as ingram was last year don't project as allstars. it might be literally unprecedented.

i agree that he's being misused, but the trouble is that players who will be stars can do the things they're asking him to do, even at his age. maybe if management/coaching staff accepts the tayshaun prince ceiling, we can just move on and try to win some games.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  17. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

'member when i got killed for the tayshaun prince comparison?

i've scaled that back.

really think we could have had paul george if management wasn't (still) incompetent. nobody is untouchable on a team this bad.

for the optimists, jorker is delivering hard truths. this summer, when i was arguing in favor of moving ingram for an allstar, i pointed at same truths. people that are as bad as ingram was last year don't project as allstars. it might be literally unprecedented.

i agree that he's being misused, but the trouble is that players who will be stars can do the things they're asking him to do, even at his age. maybe if management/coaching staff accepts the tayshaun prince ceiling, we can just move on and try to win some games.

sirronstuff likes this.
  18. sirronstuff

sirronstuff - Lakers Legend -

Your time is running out Ham
    I for one don't want to believe it, and hope you are wrong. I'd love to see him blossom into something super special. But then again, I'm kind of a Laker Homer.

[​IMG]

Cookie likes this.
  19. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'd be happy with Tayshaun Prince, who should have made the all-star team at least once imo. But I think Ingram will become a slightly better player. Not the superstar that the FO wants him to become, but pretty damn close. Remember, he's still 20 yrs old, 2 years younger than Prince as a rookie.

For now though, I just want him to focus on his perimeter defense.

sirronstuff likes this.
  20. LaVarBallsDad

I like Ingram. I think he will be a good player. However, we're kind of screwed if he doesn't work out. Ball better turn out who the FO thinks he cam be...

sirronstuff likes this.