Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. Battle Tested20

Battle Tested20 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Data Analyst
    But will we really need 3 to 4 stars once the GSW and Cavs lose their great players to old age/retirement in 4-5 years? I don't think so.

trodgers likes this.
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

There will always be a GSW. The C Bags, Wolves, Bucks, Sixers, Jazz are all teams that could be loaded with stars and contenders in 4-5 years.

ElginTheGreat likes this.
  3. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Those teams "loaded with stars" may be a stretch. Their own young players may be better but those teams (looking at Bucks Sixers, C Bags) are all in the East and some of those teams are also small market - Bucks & Jazz

wallangong and LTLakerFan like this.
  4. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Your new AVI is an eye catcher. Who is that? Don't know whether to like him or be afraid of him .....

:Crazyartest:

5. OX1947

OX1947 - Lakers All Star -

That is I. And he is me.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  6. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

Funny I had a hunch that it might be but then figured nah probably isn't. Nice job! Yeah and scares me.

:Laugh:

OX1947 likes this.
  7. wallangong

wallangong - Lakers 6th Man -

It's also a stretch to compare a very established GSW to those young teams. A team of established stars is a lot different than a team of POTENTIAL stars.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

gs wasn't even a team of potential stars 4 years ago. nobody thought curry would be a two-time mvp or klay thompson would be dropping 50 in 22 minutes and stuff. nobody thought draymond green would be an all-nba level player.

the major point stands: you don't build your team whilst hoping that the current good teams disappear with no one to replace them. they will be replaced. sometimes almost overnight.

9. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

I was a skeptic of Giannis his 1st 2-3yrs in the league, but seeing what he's doing this playoff series against Tor got my hopes way high for Ingram. Ingram doesn't seem as long and fast as Giannis but his shooting is better, just can't wait to see this stick bulk up and see what he can really do the next couple of yrs.

sirronstuff and LTLakerFan like this.
  10. Magnum_BI

Magnum_BI - Rookie -

Xraying
    Nice piece by Pincus.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ason-was-a-success-for-the-los-angeles-lakers

"I've been telling him ever since All-Star break, this is Tiny's town," Young said. "This isn't B.I. of November. This is B.I. of March, dunking on people."

"In the beginning of the year, I used to make fun of him...he'd look like a string bean and double-pump it like a lot of times when he's going to the rim and trying to finish," Clarkson said. "Then you see towards the end of the year he's going to the rack strong, keeping the ball high, finishing, dunking on people, and you see his mid-post game grow. I think he's going to be a great player in this league."

11. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    Great advice! I know a what a kids want to work on everything and but its important to have a plan for going into the off-season like Kobe said and master a few things each summer. No one was better at doing this than Kobe throughout his career, coming back with something new or being even better at a particular skill.

http://www.ocregister.com/2017/04/2...orytelling-helps-him-move-on-from-basketball/

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    TIME, Barnstable and OmarE like this.
  12. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I hope Ingram works on

1. The pull up jumper - Seriously work on this all summer. His ability to take players off the dribble is already good as it is, but if he can add that stop on a dime, pull up jumper, I think he'd really open up the lane for himself. This was one of the things Kobe was a master at out of the gate. Something he can definitely pass on to BI.

2. Intensity - Something I definitely notice a difference with Kawhi from when he was a rookie to now. He's still quiet on the court much like Ingram is, but you KNOW when he starts to feel his game and takes over. I want Brandon to develop that Mamba mentality and rise above the level of the competition and take over games.

13. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

Gsw players arent old...klay,draymond, steph, durant are in their mid-late 20s....its more like 7-8yrs if they dont have injuries

14. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Durant and Steph have already had injuries.

If they continue to get hurt as often as they do I highly doubt they'll play 8 more years at a high level. Maybe 4 or 5.

15. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

They also have to pay everyone.

That team has a shelf life just like every team, but they've got a nice big window to work with.

Barnstable and LTLakerFan like this.
  16. Battle Tested20

Technical Data Analyst
    You really can't and don't teach this. Either a player has this in their system/make up or not. Think of a player like Draymond Green. He was always been this loud, expressive kid/competitor in HS and in College at Michigan State.

I'm not saying Brandon isn't or can't get intense at all. What I am saying is it doesn't just flow out like it has with Kobe, Jordan, Payton, Draymond, etc... He's shown flashes of emotion just like Kwahi does with the Spurs from time to time but it take a lot to get him there. Emotion and intensity when channeled correctly can be a powerful tool, but you don't always need it to be successful.

17. lakerfan2

lakerfan2 - Lakers All Star -

I meant more in his game, not his emotion of the court. The last few games I've watched of Kawhi this past series, I'm in awe of how much he's grown. He literally takes the team on his back and wills them through when they need it. It kinda reminds me of Kobe, that's how scary it is.

His poise, his all business attitude, he know's what he wants to do on the court, and he knows he can execute it. Did he show it externally? No, that's fine. It completely stood out to me as he was just making play after play.

And that's the type of intensity I want in Brandon. Not so much the Draymond Green/Westbrook yell and screaming, but the I'm going do what I'm going to do to win type of mentality, and Brandon has all the tools to do it.

The kid is a little shy and that's fine, but the last few games of the season he started to emerge from his shell, much like he did at Duke. He's a beast waiting to be awaken.

LTLakerFan likes this.
  18. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

What? Curry is 29 an Durrant is 28. Say they figure out a way to keep that core. That team has 4-5 years max before age catches up with them and they start to noticeably decline.

Their best key players are their oldest players.

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

oklahoma city was destined for 9 straight titles 5 years ago. again, planning your roster based on others is nonsensical. durant sprains an ankle again and the houston freaking rockets might end up in the finals.

20. Khmrp

Khmrp - Lakers MVP -

33-34 isnt a big drop off especially curry, he doesn't play with athleticism neither does klay...lebron is 32 just posted career highs in asst/reb and looks as good if not better than 3yrs ago