Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

We're not sniffing the playoffs with George. The Pacers' roster is better than our's and they barely made it in the East. With Julius and JC gone? No chance in hell in the West.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  2. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

You brought up injuries, not me.

And the odds of 1 player getting injuried is far greater than 3 players (Julius, JC, Top3) getting injured simultaneously.

3. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    I've laid out my plan a few times.

Russell/Ennis
    George/Nwaba
    Ingram/Deng/Brewer
    Ilyasova/Black
    Noel/Zubac

Would have $$ for another guard, too. End there for the present, see how deep a playoff run they can make, and go from there.

Daloyalfan18-Brandon and abeer3 like this.
  4. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I disagree. You don't just add PG and stop there at any rate.

abeer3 likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

as rodg said, no way a george move is made in isolation.

i CAN tell you who's not sniffing the playoffs: the current roster. not next year, and probably not even the following. no FAs are interested in joining the current squad, either, and we will NOT have a draft pick either this year or next.

if you can get a star without giving up EVERYTHING, you have to do it. if you can get two, you might have to clean the cupboard.

LaVarBallsDad and trodgers like this.
  6. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

To be clear, I'm not saying we shouldn't try to get George. I think it's imperative that we try our best. But George and then Griffin? No thanks.

We'd have to either make a crazy Gasol level trade to aquire Griffin or give up the best of and many of the young core and IMO, Griffin isn't good enough to warrant that. If he couldn't get past the second round with some of those Clippers teams, I don't see that changing playing next to PG.

That means our best course of action right now is to get PG and not mortgage our youth for a player that won't get us contending again. We need to ride with a lot of our youth unless something unexpected comes up out of the blue.

This is all fluid, but we can only work with what we know we have today

tada, LTLakerFan and revgen like this.
  7. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

I guess the losing has really taken a toll or people have becone really allergic to winning basketball.

26 win seasons, watching D-League talent, and keeping an eye on the Tank Standings are not what I would prefer to keep doing for the next 3 seasons.

You know who agrees with that? Magic and Pelinka. They will do what it takes to put multiple stars together on this roster and we can get back to what we used to do: winning basketball games and competing for championships.

scnottaken and abeer3 like this.
  8. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    Hastily constructed teams don't win much.

9. LaVarBallsDad

That is why current Management is out of here, right?

I believe in Pelinka wholeheartedly. I believe he puts us in a better position next year.

He was one of the sharper agents out there and according to many: a beast to negotiate with.

He's not constructing anything hasitly; nor am I intending that we should; but winning is the first priority here in Los Angeles.

Whatever path we decide to take, I'll trust management to put is in the best possible position to win games and compete.

Again, I don't like the season ending in April.

10. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

I think there's a disconnect here. I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't try to get better ASAP. I don't think anyone is saying we shouldn't trade our young players away if the right trades come up.

I (and I feel some others here) am just saying I don't see the path that gets us improved enough to make much of a difference through FA right now, so you have to go with what you know. If the right trades come up, of course you do it.

But I don't want Griffin unless it's a really really good deal. If it turned out Hayward would come to pair up with PG, I make that trade in a hot second in most scenarios.

11. LaVarBallsDad

Griffin is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Bryant likes this.
  12. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

well, what is "hastily constructed"? boston's last title team was hastily constructed, as was miami, really. gs wasn't. i don't know what you call cleveland.

but teams without veteran talent don't win much; that's for sure. minnesota has maybe the very best young player in the league, and they won what, 31 games? because they have no veteran talent. but at least in their case, towns (and probably wiggins) will be good enough to constitute "veteran talent" in the long run.

people on these forums are already ready to run russell out of town for the next big draft pick, and we're pinning our hopes on ingram based on feats that, quite frankly, aren't all that impressive. i mean, he definitely improved as the season went on, but i'm under no delusions that he's going to be a towns-level player at any point in the future. if we're lucky, he's a george-level player in the future.

so if he's the centerpiece in a deal for george, i think you take it.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  13. therealdeal

therealdeal Moderator Staff Member

i'm fine with either direction honestly. It's all about making the right move, not the fast or slow move.

If there's a trade out there to get George that doesn't mean trading away 3/4 of the kids, then I'm on top of it.

I'm also getting very, very nervous about overpaying for Griffin. I'm not sold he's going to be a ton better than Julius over the next 5 years (health included!). I'd make a move for George and then get patient again. George is a great start. Hayward would be awesome.

revgen, lakerjones and Barnstable like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

i don't think a single person has said "trade all young players for paul george". but i feel like some are saying "trade no young players for paul george", with which i disagree.

i'm also not super crazy about griffin, but my hypothetical just involved him because i could see him moving. but the basic premise was: if you give me the option of fielding a team that has two bona fide allstars under 30 on it next year (and only scraps of the current group left) or to roll out the current group plus low level FA signings (which is likely if no stars come), i'm going with the former.

it's less about being impatient than it is about understanding the likelihood of home-growing a contender from our current position.

15. trodgers

Professor of Humanities
    I guess I'm not clear on what a hastily constructed team is, the more I think of it.

Boston seems like a pretty good example. They won 24 games, added two all-stars, and won a ring, but I'm not sure the roster changed a whole lot outside those guys. Neither of Miami's championship teams were hastily created, as I think of it. The 05/06 was mostly home grown talent from a playoff team. The second ones (11/12 and 12/13) were built from playoff teams three-years running, featuring only two new players - both all-stars. Cleveland is just shuffling pieces around from Miami; right? :) The thought of gearing up for one run and winning a ring only to fade to garbage for years, as we did, as Boston did, and as every team does after LeBron leaves them high and dry does, is not success in the basketball world. We're experiencing that now. I guess the latter point is my point. You may be able to win a ring, but you may destroy your team's success for the future five or ten years in the process.

Yeah; those guys are years from competing.

16. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

right. and they have towns and wiggins to our russell and ingram.

17. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

Towns is terrific, but not sold on Wiggins.

He's a really good scorer, but what else does he bring to the table?

At least Russell/Ingram have shown to be more than just scorers.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  18. LTLakerFan

LTLakerFan - Lakers Legend -

I don't think they trade BI for anyone. He's the best bet we've got for a homegrown star and force in the league. Zu maybe down the road. But more of a sure thing than any of them. And I doubt they would clean the cupboard of all the talented youngins so my guess is BI is untouchable.

trodgers likes this.
  19. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

For the record I didn't say "don't trade for Paul George", I said don't trade Ingram for Paul George. Everyone else is available, but I'm not giving up Ingram when the Pacers will be the desperate team trying not to lose him for nothing. If we keep our top 3 pick my offer for him starts with that and pieces. If we don't it starts with Randle and JC, and you go from there. If it takes Russell and scraps I do it but I'm a little bummed. If it takes Ingram I move on and hope he comes in free agency.

20. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

from what i've seen, he defends. his floor is harrison barnes, imo. so, that's...pretty good.