Brandon Ingram Discussion: He Is Who We Thought He Could Be

Discussion in 'NBA Discussion' started by Lakers2015, Jun 23, 2016.

1. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

all assets are available for a star in his prime, imo. that includes ingram (whom i like VERY much). i'd rather try to find a way to get an impact player without losing russell or ingram, obviously. but beggars can't be choosers. i will say that if you make a move like that, there better be another move or two (big FA signing, trade of other assets for another star).

but let's just say the cupboard is wiped bare of young talent, but you walk into next year with paul george, blake griffin, and another equal-value star...you're sort of back, right?

therealdeal and LaVarBallsDad like this.
  2. LaVarBallsDad

LaVarBallsDad - Lakers Legend -

Yes, you're back in a big way.

3. Weezy

Weezy Moderator Staff Member

I don't think with PG and Griffin that we win a championship with GS and Cleveland around though. And that's the standard here. So we don't win a title, and George and Griffin get old and we have to yet again start over. We need to play this smarter than that, the long game. That's why I don't give up Ingram, because if you can get PG without giving him up, then you have a guy to get you back to the playoffs now and at the same time you have a guy that can grow alongside him and be a great NBA player for years and years.

4. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

:This:

PG is 26. You have about 5 years before he starts to decline. LeBronz and Curry will be long since past their prime, but Irving, Kawai, Klay, Draymond, etc, will be declining around the same time as PG.

The goal has to be to develop our youth so that by the time PG and those team start declining, Ingram, and whoever we have left of the core can step in as the leader of this team similar to what happened in San Antonio when Duncan took over for David Robinson.

gcclaker likes this.
  5. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

couple things: if it's championship or bust, then we should go full philly. trade all of our current young guys for future draft picks, because none of them is a lebron or tim duncan or kobe, which is what it takes to be a guaranteed contender year in and year out. as it stands, we'd have a few years to wait for rusell and ingram to be probably not as good as griffin and george, and they'd be the ripe old age of 25 by then, too.

and there will be other lebrons, kawhis, etc. that will rise while we're developing our guys, too.

5 years is an eternity in the nba. you can win a title, fall out of the playoffs, reload, and win another title in a 8 year frame, as we've seen. and growing a young core is fraught with peril (see okc thunder, current orlando magic, philly).

imo, the lakers brand is incredibly damaged, and more of what we've been doing can make that even worse. it was the primary advantage historically--all things equal, players wanted to be here. that's not true now. getting back to respectability can fix that. i'm all for shorter routes. championships can't be guaranteed, and we certainly are not on that path with the current roster. let's stop being a laughing stock and then talk about titles again. the youth movement is fine...as plan B.

6. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I completely disagree. Developing our young core should be Plan A. We can always trade or sign a star (ie Wilt, Kareem, Shaq, Pau) after the foundation is built.

Barnstable likes this.
  7. Barnstable

Barnstable Supreme Fuzzler of Lakersball.com Staff Member

The difference in my mind is that of all the variables you listed, Father Time catching up to these players is the only certainty, so you have to go with that as a base target. We have to be ready to exploit that opening because we don't know for sure, how any other variable will play out. It will come faster than people realize.

The CBA is structured to make signing and keeping the players you drafted much better financially, so considering we already have a bunch of young players of varying talent, we need to roll with some of them as the core of our rebuilding process until we can sign those one or two Superstars we need for a championship.

8. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

the other ticking clock is these guys' rookie contracts. you can't sign a superstar when russell, randle, and ingram are making 20 million each.

gs had cash because a) curry's slow development kept his first contract down and b) thompson's extension occurred prior to the cap explosion. otherwise, they'd have had no shot at durant. i think of the durant situation as similar to the shaq situation here: it will happen once every 15 years or so--a crazy confluence of events.

i'd be all for building around youth if we clearly had a superstar in the fold, but it really doesn't seem that way.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  9. trodgers

trodgers Administrator Staff Member

Professor of Humanities
    George is 26. He has probably five prime seasons left. Griffin is 28 and injury prone. I'd avoid Griffin, but avoiding George wouldn't be wise. If we can land him, we should be very interested.

10. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

I'm quite sure Russell, Ingram, Zu and Randle's value will rise in 2-3 years. Trading any of them now would be selling them low. And even if we manage to trade for George and somehow acquire Griffin + Westbrook, the Cavs/Warriors are still better. So it makes no sense to strike now, both for internal and external reasons.

I don't think we have much of a choice but to wait anyway, considering we have $34 million of our cap tied up to Mozgov and Deng. We're handicapped for 3 more years, and it's unwise to start shuffling valuable assets with such heavy baggage. So I'm all in on the 2020 plan.

11. Doc Brown

Doc Brown - Lakers Starter -

Doctorin'
    I understand your argument up until the end. When has the "insert year here" plan ever worked out? You are banking on everything working out in one year and if it doesn't, as we've seen here first hand, it turns into the 2015, 2016, 2017, etc plan. Never put all your chips into a year plan.

abeer3 likes this.
  12. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well in the summer of 2020, Ingram will be 22, Zubac 23, Russell 24, and Randle 25. We'd still have a huge window ahead of us, unlike the other 20xx plans.

But just to make you happy I'll rename it the 2020- plan.

Barnstable and John3:16 like this.
  13. Lakers2015

Lakers2015 - Lakers Starter -

I agree. Trading the kids right now would be a huge mistake. Ingram looks like a superstar in the making. Russell/Zubac have at the very least flashed All Star potential. Randle, Clarkson, and Nance Jr. have all shown the ability to be contributors. What exactly are we gonna be blowing up the young core for? No matter who we get the odds of competing and beating Golden State are slim to none. They need the youth to continue to grow and develop and one or two become stars and then add another one in free agency without having to gut the roster for one.

tada and John3:16 like this.
  14. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

there will always be a golden state (who lost last year, btw). you simply can't operate worried about the quality of other teams. you also can't plan more than 3 years into the future in the nba. injuries, changing cbas, too many variables out of your control.

LaVarBallsDad likes this.
  15. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

Well if you're including injuries then what's our insurance policy when Paul George snaps his leg again, with Julius, JC and the Top 3 pick gone? We'd have $60 million on the sidelines, including Moz and Deng.

16. LaVarBallsDad

Exactly.

Let's go star hunting this summer.

17. tada

tada - Lakers All Star -

No one has made a convincing argument of why we should trade for PG13 this summer, other than "we've got to start somewhere."

To that I must ask.... "and end where?"

18. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

1. leg breaks like that are not likely to recur; you should probably be more worried about julius's foot, and ingram and russell's knees, tbh. george has proven he can stay healthy for long periods of time.

2. as i said before, in a couple years, we'll have 20 million invested in those guys, too. if we don't, it means a) they busted and we wasted time developing them or b) they walked for nothing. why not just speed the process up by two years?

the larger point is that you're resorting to forecasting injuries to support your argument. you can't forecast injuries unless you're dealing with an injury that has proven to chronically recur (like those degenerating cartilage cases (cp) or jones fractures in the foot (embiid)).

19. abeer3

abeer3 - Lakers Legend -

in the playoffs?

20. LaVarBallsDad

Agree. He really turned it up in the last month of the season.